MicroServer Gen8 is noisy (17843 Views)
Reply
Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 1 of 288 (17,843 Views)
Accepted Solution

MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

[ Edited ]

HP documentation and PR state that the MicroServer Gen8 emits only 21dBa, yet I am reading 50dBa (front) to 55dBa (back) at idle.

 

I have tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults as well as adjusting the HP power profile to no avail.

 

This is too noisy for a quiet home or office environment, should we expect lower noise levels as per the official specifications ?

 

 

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ProLiant Servers - Netservers.
-HP Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 2 of 288 (17,780 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

[ Edited ]

I have 4 of these sitting in my cube right now and one at the house. They are very quiet even with 4 disks in them.  What does iLO show as far as fan speed and sensor temperatures?

 

UPDATE: I guess my cubicle environment isn't quiet enough to really notice the fan noise. After further investigation, I have now seen (and heard) the fan speed difference between B120i and SATA AHCI modes. I've reported this back to the MicroServer hardware team.

Occasional Advisor
ibhpgb
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎08-16-2013
Message 3 of 288 (17,770 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

It may depend on which disk controller one is using. 

 

http://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

 

ACHI reported as noisy.

 

I would buy one, but don't want noise.

 

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 4 of 288 (17,768 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Yes I had read reports about the fan speed going up with the Smart Array disabled but I have tried enabling and disabling AHCI controller mode to no avail.

 

Let me get back to you with fan speed and temperature once I get back home.

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 5 of 288 (17,763 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

I'm run them both in RAID mode and AHCI mode with no difference in fan noise level. The link provided is for people putting in faster CPU's, I'd expect the fan to spin up a bit with a faster CPU in the case.

 

 

 

Occasional Advisor
ibhpgb
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎08-16-2013
Message 6 of 288 (17,755 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Actually, I think Stefan did not change his cpu, and was the one that noticed fan speed changed (for him) with different controllers. 

 

Maybe HP needs some firmware updates?

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 7 of 288 (17,751 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

There is a new firmware dating from August 14th available but the release notes do not contain information about this specific issue.

 

I will be updating over the week-end and report back.

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 8 of 288 (17,693 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

The fan spins at a constant 39%, all temperatures are nominal.

 

I have read one other report stating that the fan will go up when disabling the Smart Array B120i. It should apparently run at 6% under normal conditions ?

Occasional Advisor
ibhpgb
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎08-16-2013
Message 9 of 288 (17,690 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

That is a similar fan speed others have reported.

 

HP  ,

 

Update your firmware! 

 

I wonder if a rheostat fan control would work to quiet down the fan noise.

 

 

 

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 10 of 288 (17,656 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

The issue still applies to firmware 2013.08.24.

 

Apparently the B120i Smart Array would need to be configured for the fan control to kick in properly. I will test it out tonight.

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 11 of 288 (17,654 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

[ Edited ]

Jimmy Vance wrote:

I have 4 of these sitting in my cube right now and one at the house. They are very quiet even with 4 disks in them.  What does iLO show as far as fan speed and sensor temperatures?



Did you configure B120i arrays with those disks ?

 

Would you be able to tell me how fast are your fans spinning at idle ?

Occasional Advisor
ibhpgb
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎08-16-2013
Message 12 of 288 (17,650 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Can you tell me how you measured the sound level?

 

I hava a Radio Shack meter. It has A or C weighting and a slow/fast meter response.

 

If I place the mic near the exhaust stream from a fan, it measures of course very loud. If I make sure the mic is not directly in the fan breeze, it measures quieter. It is also quieter as I move away from the fan.

 

How far were you from the fan?

 

Was the mic in the stream?

 

If I measure my Lasko cylinder fan, it is about 54db Cweighted at 1 meter, mic not in the breeze on high speed. That is too noisy. On low speed, it measures about 48-50db, still too noisy, but for a breeze I will endure it on low.

 

I woud assume the microserver would have a similar noise level, which is really too loud unless there is a way to tame the noise. Of course I want ZFS, so AHCI is how I want to control the disks.

 

Thanks for pioneering!

Occasional Advisor
ibhpgb
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎08-16-2013
Message 13 of 288 (17,636 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Fan problems here:

 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6032-g8-microserver-be-aware-of-fan-issue-add-in-c...

 

As others may know, if you set the Controller to AHCI or legacy the fan goes loud and stays loud at over 33%.

 

I decided to buy a P222/512 Smart Array to give me RAID5 plus option later to add an external 4 bay mini SAS housing for a further 4 drives controlled by the P222 (potentially 8 disks in RAID5)

 

All fitted and recognised perfectly in ACU but then the dreaded fan noise again but now at over 54%. Spent all day on it before finally starting a long chat session with HP.

 

To cut a long story short, the iLO4 can only handle built-in controllers and it totally handles temp monitoring/fan speed.

 

Long transcript attached if anyone wants to follow the details

 

 

So, Gen8 will usually have loud fans, and is not suitable for home use.

 

Must keep looking.

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 14 of 288 (17,629 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


PAC_ wrote:

Jimmy Vance wrote:

I have 4 of these sitting in my cube right now and one at the house. They are very quiet even with 4 disks in them.  What does iLO show as far as fan speed and sensor temperatures?



Did you configure B120i arrays with those disks ?

 

Would you be able to tell me how fast are your fans spinning at idle ?


As I stated in my message update above, I have now seen the difference in fan speed. B120i is 6% SATA AHCI varies a bit but is around 36%. During POST the fan is a 50%. I've contacted the MicroServer hardware team

 

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 15 of 288 (17,609 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


ibhpgb wrote:

Can you tell me how you measured the sound level?

 

I hava a Radio Shack meter. It has A or C weighting and a slow/fast meter response.

 

If I place the mic near the exhaust stream from a fan, it measures of course very loud. If I make sure the mic is not directly in the fan breeze, it measures quieter. It is also quieter as I move away from the fan.

 

How far were you from the fan?

 

Was the mic in the stream?

 

If I measure my Lasko cylinder fan, it is about 54db Cweighted at 1 meter, mic not in the breeze on high speed. That is too noisy. On low speed, it measures about 48-50db, still too noisy, but for a breeze I will endure it on low.

 

I woud assume the microserver would have a similar noise level, which is really too loud unless there is a way to tame the noise. Of course I want ZFS, so AHCI is how I want to control the disks.

 

Thanks for pioneering!


I measured using Faber Acoustical's SoundMeter using my iPhone 5S (the app is calibrated as per the microphone specification).

 

I took measurements on top of the unit near the back (out of the air stream) and right in front of the bezel. I was about 6 inches away from the unit.

 

I know the fan seems to be controlled by iLO 4 unless the controller is set to AHCI. It might be possible to replace the fan with a quieter 120mm model and forcing it to spin at 100% in the BIOS.

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 16 of 288 (17,608 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


Jimmy Vance wrote:

PAC_ wrote:

Jimmy Vance wrote:

I have 4 of these sitting in my cube right now and one at the house. They are very quiet even with 4 disks in them.  What does iLO show as far as fan speed and sensor temperatures?



Did you configure B120i arrays with those disks ?

 

Would you be able to tell me how fast are your fans spinning at idle ?


As I stated in my message update above, I have now seen the difference in fan speed. B120i is 6% SATA AHCI varies a bit but is around 36%. During POST the fan is a 50%. I've contacted the MicroServer hardware team

 


It is possible to leave the B120i configured in the BIOS without actually configuring a drive array on the controller. The disks still get presented as JBOD to the OS but this does not help tame down the fan speed.

 

Did you contact the MicroServer hardware team through the regular support channels ? Did you hear back from them ?

 

 

Cheers

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 17 of 288 (17,592 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


PAC_ wrote:

Did you contact the MicroServer hardware team through the regular support channels ? Did you hear back from them ?


 

 

I can contact the program team directly. I have not heard back yet.

 

 

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 18 of 288 (17,312 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


Jimmy Vance wrote:

PAC_ wrote:

Did you contact the MicroServer hardware team through the regular support channels ? Did you hear back from them ?


 

 

I can contact the program team directly. I have not heard back yet.

 

 


Have you heard back from the team ?

 

I have just opened an official support case on my end.

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 19 of 288 (17,286 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


PAC_ wrote:

Jimmy Vance wrote:

PAC_ wrote:

Did you contact the MicroServer hardware team through the regular support channels ? Did you hear back from them ?


 

 

I can contact the program team directly. I have not heard back yet.

 

 


Have you heard back from the team ?

 

I have just opened an official support case on my end.


Not yet, please send me a private message wit hthe case number

dof
Occasional Visitor
dof
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎09-15-2013
Message 20 of 288 (17,179 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

just to share my experience :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Regional-Operating/Microserver-Gen8-Debian-FAN-noise-control/...

 

When I install RHEL 0 to 6 % fan Speed

When I install Debian 39%+ fan speed :(

 

If you have solution...

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎08-15-2013
Message 21 of 288 (17,177 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


dof wrote:

just to share my experience :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Regional-Operating/Microserver-Gen8-Debian-FAN-noise-control/...

 

When I install RHEL 0 to 6 % fan Speed

When I install Debian 39%+ fan speed :(

 

If you have solution...


Interesting, I am running FreeNAS 9.1.1 (FreeBSD 9-STABLE).

 

Did you leave your BIOS thermal options to the default configuration ?

dof
Occasional Visitor
dof
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎09-15-2013
Message 22 of 288 (17,142 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

yes I leave all by default

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 23 of 288 (17,134 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

dof, were these configurations with the B120i enabled or were you using plain SATA AHCI mode?

dof
Occasional Visitor
dof
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎09-15-2013
Message 24 of 288 (17,101 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

[ Edited ]

I use both.

 

HP come here to change motherboard tomorrow.

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Posts: 1,572
Registered: ‎11-27-2006
Message 25 of 288 (17,093 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy


dof wrote:

I use both.

 

HP come here to change motherboard tomorrow.


Changing the system board is a waste of everyones time. This issue will more than likely require a firmware update to resolve

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.