Re: Rack issues (127 Views)
Advisor
Mario N.
Message 1 of 5 (127 Views)
Accepted Solution

Rack issues

I need to plan the deployment of 3 DL servers plus a MSA disk library plus 2 UPS and some other components in a rack.
Where can I locate a document explaining:
- how servers must be placed inside the rack
- how many units (if any) must be left unused between servers and between servers and other components
- how can I calculate the weight of the rack over the floor
- what additional issues I must consider while planning the purchase of the rack
Regards
Marius
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ken Henault
Message 2 of 5 (127 Views)

Re: Rack issues

You want to place the heaviest items in the bottom of the rack to ensure stability, in this case that would be the UPS. You do not need to leave any space between components, a rack is designed to be filled bottom to top. The configurator at http://www.hp.com/products/configurator will let you build your rack and get specifications like weight, rack-Us and recomended racking positions.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mario N.
Message 3 of 5 (127 Views)

Thanks for the pointer. It is really useful, even if some options are still obscure.
Can anyb ody provide pointers to documentation useful to understand the configuration rules?
Regards
Mario
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
juan quesada
Message 4 of 5 (127 Views)

I guess that you are looking for the rack guidelines o rack best practices, check this pdf

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/racks/Best-Practice.pdf
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Shiraj Fernando
Message 5 of 5 (127 Views)

Hi,

You may also find the attached Generic Site Prep guide from HP to be useful.

Regards,
Shiraj.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation