Re: ML110 G7 High Fan issue (7035 Views)
Visitor
Al4123
Message 1 of 21 (7,431 Views)

ML110 G7 High Fan issue

Hi,

I recently bought a ML110 G7. The front fan (fan 8) is pretty loud. I am using this in my home office and it is just too noisy. The front fan is running at 41%. I have tried reseating the fan, as suggested in other posts. It is still running at exactly the same percentage. Other posts in this forum suggest that their fan speeds are much lower (like 10% - 20%).

I updated the ILO (v 1.26) and checked to see that the firmware is the latest version.

I changed the thermal cooling options in the BIOS to "optimal cooling" but it didn't do anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Allen

HP Pro
Priyansha
Message 2 of 21 (7,395 Views)

Re: ML110 G7 High Fan issue

Have you updated BIOS.? If not try updating the BIOS and check..

Thank you,
Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; www.hp.com/support/hpgt
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03283214
Occasional Visitor
jms703
Message 3 of 21 (7,389 Views)

I too am having this issue. Except it's the rear fan. It cycles up and down all day long, with no load and in a low temperature room in the middle of winter.

I think there is a problem with my server. How do I get it fixed or get a refund?

HP Pro
Renjiv
Message 4 of 21 (7,383 Views)

Hi,

This is a most common issue on ML110 G7 series.

However in certain scenarios, the issue will be with the front fans causing the loud noise. It is because the fans are dislodged during shipping. You will need to reset the fans for fixing the noise.

If the issue is still there, then you will need to update system BIOS firmware, system management driver and firmware which in turn updates the BMC firmware. Sometimes, ehe BMC reset causes the system fans to go to maximum speed.

You will need to first update the ILO management controller driver following the below link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

Then update the ILO firmware to latest following the next link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

Also update the BIOS to latest version.

I hope this will work and will reduce your fan noise.

Regards,

Renji V

I am an HP employee.

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! thumb below to say thank you.
Occasional Visitor
jms703
Message 5 of 21 (7,376 Views)

No, as I stated, the issue is with the rear system fan. I already re-seated all of the other fans.

My symptoms don't match the symptoms of issues with the PCI fan becoming unseated during shipment.

HP Pro
Renjiv
Message 6 of 21 (7,368 Views)

In that case, you can try the ILO management controller driver and firmware update. Then update the system bios to check the status.

I hope it will make some difference.

Regards,

Renji V

I am an HP employee.

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! thumb below to say thank you.
Visitor
Al4123
Message 7 of 21 (7,357 Views)

Renji,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have updated to the latest BIOS revision (April 21, 2011) and have updated the latest iLO version (1.26 Aug 26 2011) and the fan is still exactly the same. I also tried reseating the fan again with no luck. It is still stuck at the same speed of 41%.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help,

-Allen

HP Pro
rguha
Message 8 of 21 (7,337 Views)

Hi,

I understand you have already performed the following:

-reseated the fan properly
-Update ILO and BIOS firmware

Still, there is no change.

Please find my action plan:

-Swap the fan with any other fan in the server and check if the fan speed remains same at 41% in slot8.

If the high speed follows the fan module to a different slot then we need to replace the fan and if the high speed remains with the same slot 8 irrespective of the fan module then we need to replace the system board.

Summarizing, inorder to resolve this issue we need to either replace the fan or the system board.

Please perform the above test to determine which part needs to be replaced and then log a case with HP.

Please visit the link given below to log a case with HP:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/scm/home/

How to say thank you? Please click the white Kudos star :)
Occasional Visitor
rdob
Message 9 of 21 (7,133 Views)

[ Edited ]

The problem is simply that if a PCIE is inserted, fan 8 runs about 40 percent which is terrible noisy.

If no card is is inserted the server is whisper quiet (fan 8 about 10%).

Talked already to HP hotline, but they have no solution for the problem, the only way is to make a DOA and try to get the money back.

In my opinion its really a shame for HP that such simple things occur again and again.

Occasional Visitor
Termer97
Message 10 of 21 (7,035 Views)

Hi all:

The SOLUTION for me was to DISABLE the **bleep** iLO.

Go to the "HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility" and configure it on the setup

¿Easy?

Occasional Visitor
JMincone
Message 11 of 21 (6,013 Views)

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that when removing the stock thermal compound on the CPU and replacing it with a small amount (size of one grain of rice) with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound and the fan noise on my

ML110 G7 was cut in half, give it a try.

John

Advisor
rob-meh
Message 12 of 21 (6,004 Views)

Don't suppose anyone else who has some of this to hand could try it and let me know the result.

Im desperate to try anything now!

Rob

IDH
Frequent Visitor
IDH
Message 13 of 21 (5,812 Views)

I may have fixed mine - been quiet for almost a week but not yet certain.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML110-G7-Strange-fan-behavior/m-p/5768647

Occasional Visitor
dumpfbacke
Message 14 of 21 (5,164 Views)

hi all,

small update:

today i installed the new bios (ver. 2012.08.10) and the new ilo-firmware (ver 1.50)...

status without any option-card installed:

after power on f1=31%, f7=13%, f8=10%. 10 minutes later: f1=52%, f7=42%, f8=10% -> very noisy... :-(

status with an additional dual-port nic:

after power on f1=31%, f7=13%, f8=38%. 10 minutes later: f1=31%, f7=13%, f8=40% -> noisy....

in both cases the default ambient temperature was 24 degrees. cooling down the ambient temperature

did not cange anything...

reseating the fans, resetting ilo-obard and changing the thermal compoung didn't change anything....

testing the new firmware / bios / setting on 2 identical systems - no difference.

@HP: new firmware is required...

best regards

dumpfbacke

Occasional Visitor
robso
Message 15 of 21 (3,940 Views)

Hi,

is there any imporvement on this? This post is quite old but I also still have this problem. Latest available mainboard firmware and iLO firmware 1.55. Tried to downgrade the mobo firmware without any success. Just terrible loud and that's it. Somewhere I read the loud fans are caused by non HP harddisks. Is this really true? Is this some kind of punishment for using disks which cost only a fraction part of HP disks.

Cheers

Robert

Collector
supertom
Message 16 of 21 (3,801 Views)

I wonder if there is a solution to this issue?

Collector
supertom
Message 17 of 21 (3,783 Views)

I had a chat with HP tech support today, and I was advised to update iLO to 1.55 (currently latest). After installing the update, I thought this FAN NOISE issue was fixed for a moment. However, it just came back within a few seconds. Now this server is making sound of a jet. My plan was to use ML110 G7 as my home server hosting NAS and other basic things, but I don't know if my family can bare this noise. I worked with large servers in the past, but this bottom end server is making louder noise. This is crazy!!!

I really wonder what HP can do at this point...  I am also trying to find any sort of solution to this issue online, but no luck so far. I just see many people having the same issues.

Occasional Visitor
Phcahill
Message 18 of 21 (3,242 Views)

Just adding a me too to keep this thread alive. If I reset the bios, it's quiet for an hour or so before getting loud. Once loud it remains that way even if I switch it off till cold before switching back on. It's winter here in Australia. Room is cool.
Occasional Advisor
GarethCamp23
Message 19 of 21 (3,104 Views)

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd add my recent findings after months of having a noisy ML110 G7, I've just fitted the HP dedicated iLO port and am now finding that Fan 8 is only running at 10%!

I believe the HP part number is:

514206-B21

Regards,

Gareth

Occasional Advisor
GarethCamp23
Message 20 of 21 (3,101 Views)

Just to add, I've put my HDMI GPU in and the fan speed shot back up to 40%, with the card removed its back down to 10% so this may not be a solution for everyone, mine is now running non-standard HDDs and memory, no additional slot in cards, but with the dedicated iLO its running fan 8 (the troublesome one) at 10%.

Advisor
John T Willis
Message 21 of 21 (2,103 Views)

[ Edited ]

I mentioned my success with a similar server ML110 G6 a few days ago here Re: (Update) ML110 G6: LOUD FAN noise

There are a couple approaches.

1. Make sure in BIOS the [Blow-out] feature is turned on, its the only fan control you have, if you do not plan to install the HP management drivers for controlling Fan speed in the operating sytem. With the Blow-out featured [enabled], they will rev up at POST to high speed to "Blow-out" dust in the chassis and then settle back to a constant Lower speed. If you have the management drivers installed they can control the fan speed and slow things down. If [Blow-out] is turned off, they will rev to high speed and stay there until the HP management drivers slow them down, if they never load (or they are stopped by something like antivirus) the fans will always run at High speed. [Also] some Operating Systems simply do not have HP Management drivers available, like newer/older or more obscure Operating Systems... in which case the Blow-out [enabled] feature setting is the only option.

2. OEM mainboards vary and get revised, but on my board the Fan headers were compatible with a Noctuna PWM 92 x 14 (slim line) Fan. The Fan is a standard four pin PWM fan, and although the ML110 mainboard is six pin, inserting the four pin plug on to the headers to skip the first and last pins (centered the four pin connections) it powered up and ran the fan, checking the BMC and the iLO the mainboard didn't notice the difference. But my Ears "noticed" a difference. Beware Noctuna makes a [static] and a [PWM] fan, I used the [PWM] not the [static]. The PWM has a Tach signal and a Speed Control signal, which my ML110 G6 absolutely needed or it would have reported fan failures ect.. [Also] the connector is not a perfect fit, takes a little effort, and the black wire needs to be towards the back (closest to the back wall of the chassis, just like the original Fan (but still centered on the connector to skip the first pin), take a look at the original before removing it)

Also be aware this will probably void your Warranty. In my case my ML110 is long out of Warranty and I just could not use it in a quiet environment.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.