Re: HP Service Pack for ProLiant (7094 Views)
Occasional Contributor
bellymonster_1
Message 1 of 26 (7,146 Views)

HP Service Pack for ProLiant

I was looking for the latest bundle of firmware for our blade chassis and it stated on the website that a new method of firmware upgrades will soon be available called HP Service Pack for Proliant.

It states it should be available by the end of August 2011 but I can't see any links to download anything?

Searching google doesn't provide anymore information.

Heres the link to the page http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

Anyone know more about it?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bart_Heungens
Message 2 of 26 (7,174 Views)

Re: HP Service Pack for ProLiant

Hi,

Just a little patience I assume... Initially it was announced end July, afterwards it was postponed to end August...

I saw this as a demo at HP Discover under NDA so I cannot tell everything but it will be a big step forward!

See at is the PSP and HP SUM all together with the Firmware CD all in 1 new package, for all Proliant servers...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
My blog: http://blog.bitcon.be
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bart_Heungens
Message 3 of 26 (7,163 Views)

Hi again,

I just got an update from HP itself, it seems that the first release will be postponed untill late september, early october...

It all has to do with the fact that new critical patches were released recently and that they need to be added in the initial SPP.

Further is HP checking that all websites are changed and pointing to the new SPP... Seems to be quite a lot...

So a little patience untill early october!

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jase4772
Message 4 of 26 (7,156 Views)

Hi,

I was just wondering about this myself as I've been waiting for a new firmware and smartstart dvd for a while now so this explains the lack of an update.

Sounds really good though!

Thanks

Jase

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
bellymonster_1
Message 5 of 26 (7,152 Views)

I can be patient - as long it's as good as it sounds!

What I really want to know is how easy it makes updating a blade enclosure. Our enclosures are way way behind on firmware patches mainly because the procedure to update them is so complex and time consuming.

Fingers crossed this will simplify things, unless of course I need to get our kit upto a certain firmware level before it works :-(

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jase4772
Message 6 of 26 (7,148 Views)

I'm still waiting for HP to release a firmware update for the G7 Blades network card to resolve a PXE TFTP timeout issue. I think they've fixed it in test but my thinking now is that they're not releasing it until this new updaters out. Annoying!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bart_Heungens
Message 7 of 26 (7,133 Views)

The upgrade procedure will become much easier since everything will be done now from 1 HP SUM which will have all components inside... Also dependencies are known...

Though, I am doing it now for several customers and if you follow the procedure blades-ILO-OA-VC modules, normally there should not go anything wrong...

Off course, if the original situation is a mesh of a little bit everything you should take care upfront regarding reboots and so but as such I do nog see any issues... Maybe also since I have done it already +100 of times... ;-)

Kr,

Bart

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
d3vnul
Message 8 of 26 (7,094 Views)

***Available first of October, 2011*** 

Unfortunately it's 3rd of October and still nothing , not even another post-poned message. Looks like someone is lazy :)

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Anthony_137
Message 9 of 26 (7,053 Views)

[ Edited ]

5th october and no spp...

Antho
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
d3vnul
Message 10 of 26 (7,033 Views)

I had a talk today with HP and they told me that i was posponed again to 14th November.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
James Kennedy_5
Message 11 of 26 (7,023 Views)

Yikes, another month and a half wait.  Certainly sounds like they are having a lot of trouble with this new service pack.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
d3vnul
Message 12 of 26 (6,984 Views)

Despite what the HP technician told me yesterday it seems that It's available for download :
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
DiskDrive
Message 13 of 26 (6,970 Views)

So, it looks like a lot of information on SUM, but otherwise, there's very little or contradictory information on the SPP.

1. They don't explain how this can be used to build new servers (if it's supposed to be in part a replacement for SmartStart).
  2. They claim in some of the quick specs that all the ISO's are supposed to be bootable, but the download page reports only the full image is bootable and the others are not, suggesting this can only be used for already-deployed servers.
  3. There are references that this can be used with the HP USB Key Utility, although the latest version, 1.6.0, doesn't recognize the big ISO as a valid ISO file.

For as long as they've delayed the release of this thing, you'd think they have all their ducks in a row by now. :-(

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jase4772
Message 14 of 26 (6,967 Views)

This does seem a bit of a let down so far. All they've done (on first glance) is changed the menu around on the last Firmware DVD.

Echoing the previous post

1) I was surprised to boot the large ISO to find only firmware. Where's Smartstart?

2) Not checked the other ISO's as yet but I guess these are replacements for the PSP?

3) This does work with the HP Utility but as I've found with most of the recent ISO's from HP I've had to mount them in programs like MagicDisk or Daemon Tools to be able to access them. 

HP once again creating stuff that you can't actually use with their own stuff!!!

Disappointing as always.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
James Kennedy_5
Message 15 of 26 (6,959 Views)

Yep, very buggy too.  I've tried to do a remote deployment from two different systems and it gets discovery errors and crashed both times.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
TheFabSan
Message 16 of 26 (6,955 Views)

i'm pretty disappointed as well. documentation is lacking. what would be great if there was a how-to video posted some where. It'll only take a couple of minutes from HP and it will save us folks a ton of searching for answers.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bart_Heungens
Message 17 of 26 (6,945 Views)

From what I understood, this will not be a replacement for Smartstart...

What HP wants to create (first) is a single tool to update all HP server components with 1 version number...

Now we had PSP 8.7, FW CD 9.30, for OA and VC there were other numbers and tools...

With SPP they want to create 1 HPSUM that will cover everything. This is the start.

In a second phase (1Q 2012) there will be a new release of HP SUM that will optimize the update process... The release now is a start already with 1 release version and 1 tool... The next version will be much better (I saw some beta demo's under NDA so cannot tell more). But believe me that it is going the right way... I am using these products already for more than 15 years so...

I mount the ISO also inside the OS but you can perfectly copy the /hp/swpackages folder to some directory and run the HP SUM program from there...

Kr,

Bart

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Leu
Message 18 of 26 (6,889 Views)

Does the SPP in automatic mode (booting from the iso) work for you? I've tried it on a BL460c G7 and a DL385 G2 and on both systems it gets stuck trying to reboot at the end. Just stays there with a black screen and the default x11 cursor...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navigation: Forum Site Map // ye olde ITRC Tree
@HP: please get rid of the Passport login timeout
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Wolfgang_P
Message 19 of 26 (6,882 Views)

Hello Community.

He installed a HP DL380 G7 with the new HP SPP2011090.2011_0930.13.

(on a virgin windows 2008 R2 + SP1)

I had the following issues:

* the Copy to USB - Tool (cp014214) doesn't recognize the iso - File as valid.

*The LogViewer doesn't work.

* it took about 2-3 Reboots to get everything installed.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bart_Heungens
Message 20 of 26 (6,879 Views)

Hi,

DIdn't try this one yet... I will try to test it as soon as I have a spare blade available in my test environment...Didn't here yet about issues but never say never...

Kr,

Bart

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jase4772
Message 21 of 26 (6,863 Views)

I'm still waiting for HP to release a fw fix for a TFTP timeout issue with BL460c G7's. I was hoping to see the fix released as part of this SPP release but sadly HP is moving at their usual slow pace. Wouldn't be as bad if I'd not seen a post saying they'd tested it internally and it was fixed!!! 

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Dave73
Message 22 of 26 (6,836 Views)

Unattended installation with SPP2011090.2011_0930.13 results in a black screen during installation on  DL380G7.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gerardo_Arceri
Message 23 of 26 (6,753 Views)

Used unnatended firmware update mode on a BL620c G7 and noticed that instead of rebooting after upgrading, SPP will leave the server in a black screen with an X11 cursor, and i have to reboot it manually. Is this normal ?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Leu
Message 24 of 26 (6,725 Views)

[ Edited ]

Seems to be a bug with this SPP that you have to reboot manually at the end of automatic/unattended mode. Three people (Dave73, Gerardo_Arceri and me) have this issue.

IMHO this makes this release of SPP quite useless...
So is anybody from HP listening? Will there be a fix soon?

edit:

SPP version 2012.01.0 with HP SUM 5.0.0 coming soon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Leu
Message 25 of 26 (6,200 Views)

The new SPP is now finally available for download: http://www.hp.com/go/spp

It reboots properly in automatic mode for me (tested with a DL385 G2).

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation