Finding system specs using serial number (7104 Views)
Advisor
BillClark22
Message 1 of 5 (7,104 Views)

Finding system specs using serial number

Is it possible to enter just the serial number of a Proliant server somewhere on the HP site and have it return the hardware information of the system? Something similar to what Dell has for their systems? Or does all that become available if I register the server under my account? I'm looking for an easy way to get a hardware list of a bunch of servers that are literally lying around on the server room floor without having to power each one up. Thanks.

Bill
Valued Contributor
Joshua Small_2
Message 2 of 5 (7,104 Views)

Re: Finding system specs using serial number

I have nothing official on this, but I would say "no". I base this in the fact if you call HP support about a failed HDD or Power Supply, and give them your serial number, the helpdesk will have absolutely no way of working out what parts you have, or even the model of your server. You will always have to go remove the part and get a part number.
Honored Contributor
Pieter 't Hart
Message 3 of 5 (7,104 Views)

maybe this link to the info you want
http://europe.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyInput.do
it may describe the systems as delivered from factory.

offcourse HP doesn't know what options you added/removed.

Pieter
Advisor
BillClark22
Message 4 of 5 (7,104 Views)

Thanks, but that link only provides the warranty info, the model name and nothing specific about hardware. My question is this...WHY does HP NOT provide this?? I realize some add-ons or options may not be reflected but there has to be some database of serial & product numbers that are matched to the base hardware. Just astounded that this isn't anywhere to be found.
Honored Contributor
Pieter 't Hart
Message 5 of 5 (7,104 Views)

with the serial number you confirm the model details.
with the model you can retrieve the all documentation (including quickspecs) through www.hp.com/go/support
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.