Expanding Existing Capacity of RAID 5 Array (199 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Dhanushka_SNK
Message 1 of 3 (199 Views)
Accepted Solution

Expanding Existing Capacity of RAID 5 Array

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

Currently I'm Using HP Proliant DL380 G5 server with HP Smart Array P400 RAID Controller. 3 146GB SAS 10k disks are attached to the Array and 3 Logical Partitions are Created for User Data. Now I'm running out of Disk space and Plan to Upgrade the server by attaching 3 more 146GB SAS disks. I have few concerns on following areas;

1. Can I add more Disks to the existing Disk Array ( In my Scenario 3 more disks) with out braking the array?
  2. Can I Expand the capacity of Logical Partition's sizes of Exsisting partition?
  3. What are the software tools can I use?
  4. Can all this operation run On-Line?

Please advice me on this

P.S. This thread has been moved from Community Feedback & Suggestions to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL).- Hp Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Alex Geroulaitis
Message 2 of 3 (185 Views)

Re: Expanding Existing Capacity of RAID 5 Array

Yes to all of it. The tools: HP array management utility, and OS disk management. If OS disk management can't resize partitions (WS 2003 perhaps), 3rd party partitioning tools should work too.

That said, you might want to report your question in ProLiant Servers. You're in "Community Feedback" right now.

HP VAR, Systems Integrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dhanushka_SNK
Message 3 of 3 (175 Views)

Re: Expanding Existing Capacity of RAID 5 Array

Thank you very much

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation