Anyone cram more than 4 drives in an ML110? (50 Views)
Occasional Contributor
NDLbox
Message 1 of 3 (50 Views)
Accepted Solution

Anyone cram more than 4 drives in an ML110?

I have an ML110 G4 that has 4 500GB SATA hard drives hooked up to an HP PCIe Raid Controller. I'd like to put the O/S on a separate disk, I was thinking of installing it in the 2nd optical bay (with and adapter).

Anyone tried this? How about booting off the internal USB port with a tumb drive?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Víctor Cespón
Message 2 of 3 (50 Views)

Re: Anyone cram more than 4 drives in an ML110?

Although other Proliant servers have the option to put a 2-disk box on the media bays, this one does not. You can of course purchase a PCI controller and attach a disk to it, but there's no official way to attach that disk to the chasis.

The server will boot from a USB drive, that is used to update firmware for example. I don't know if anyone has tried to load an entire OS that way.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
NDLbox
Message 3 of 3 (50 Views)

Re: Anyone cram more than 4 drives in an ML110?

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the bracket, so I'll give it a go. The other drives are hooked to a PCIe Raid Controller so the SATA ports on the motherboard are free.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation