Switch 5400zl: Data contention between 1Gb and 10Gb port (383 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Olivier RIEBEN
Message 1 of 3 (383 Views)

Switch 5400zl: Data contention between 1Gb and 10Gb port

I have an HP switch 5406zl with a 4x 10Gb/s ports module. I have 3 servers with HP recommended 10Gb NIC and an HP SAN P2000 G3 on the 10Gb/s port as a separate VLAN: it'sPerfectly Working.

But, if I try to access data on the SAN from a server on a 1 Gb/s port, I could observe in switch statisticsthat great amount of TX trame are lost. I suppose that this is not an optimum case because many frame are then

to be repeated.

Who can explain me ? Is the switch not able to buffer frames that has to be forwarded from 10Gb/s to 1Gb/s ?

Hulot
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Sietze Reitsma
Message 2 of 3 (359 Views)

Re: Switch 5400zl: Data contention between 1Gb and 10Gb port

do you have flow control enabled end to end? If you sent traffic from 10Gb to a 1 Gb port buffers can be flooded easily if no mechanism stops the traffic. If you also run non-iSCSI traffic on the same link can cause issues as well.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Olivier RIEBEN
Message 3 of 3 (353 Views)

Re: Switch 5400zl: Data contention between 1Gb and 10Gb port

No, flow control is not activated.

What is the correct configuration  ? I need, and it's sufficient, to enable flow control on all 10Gb/s port of the 5406zl switch ?

BTW I have not found this configuration feature in the P2000 G3 itself  (in the web GUI at least). Is this also necessary ? If yes, where/how this has to be configured.

Hulot
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation