tiny black spots on paper (3243 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Pam Jensen
Message 1 of 15 (3,243 Views)
Accepted Solution

tiny black spots on paper

We are getting black spots along the left side of our print copies. It is random and not on every copy. It seems to happen when we use the feeder to print.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 15 (3,226 Views)

Re: tiny black spots on paper

You do not tell us the model so I do not know what you mean by feeder.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 3 of 15 (3,226 Views)

also,are they random scattered dots,or uniform equal distant?
Occasional Contributor
Pam Jensen
Message 4 of 15 (3,226 Views)

Sorry about that. It is HP Laserjet 4240/n.
From what I can tell it looks like the dots maybe on the area where the paper goes through a roller.
I did do a cleaning twice but it didn't help.
The markings are 1/2 way down the page and 1/4 way down the page on thel left side of the paper. And always when we run it through the feeder.
It also seems to happen more when we use our letterhead paper which is a higher quality then the plain paper.

Thanks for any assistance.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 5 of 15 (3,226 Views)

if it was a cartridge or fyser,then i would think that it would happen when printing from any tray.if you mean that it only happens when printing from tray 1/manual feed.

there is'nt a long run from the tray 1 feed path to where it shares the rest of the components with the path from the rest of the trays.mainly the tray 1 pickup roller.though the other tray paths come up from underneath when entering the registration.

being on the left side there,it almost sounds like something that can occur when a pickup roller pulls on it a bit to the side if it is worn or the paper is a bit out of skew.does the tray 1 pickup roller look worn?i assume you tried to clean it,though have you tried to replace it?it could be that the paper is sometimes hitting something on the way in ,causing it to go out of skew a bit and the registration rollers are catching it while straightening it out.or possibly it is not set straight sometimes when loaded in tray 1.also the paper properties and moisture level may be affecting it.

if you use the higher quality paper from the lower trays;it is ok?
Occasional Contributor
Pam Jensen
Message 6 of 15 (3,226 Views)

Paper comes out through the lower tray with out any spots. I did the type of cleaning where it runs a blank piece of paper through. I have not tried to open and clean any parts.

I will try to do that next.
Thank you for the quick response.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 7 of 15 (3,226 Views)

you probably would want to clean it some by hand.the general paper path,the pickup roller,and registration rollers.use maybe some pure water;or some soapy water on the rollers.
Occasional Contributor
Pam Jensen
Message 8 of 15 (3,226 Views)

Thanks. I did clean with a cleaning cloth we have for our copier and it came back very dirty. I opened section 4 & 5 to clean a black roller and white roller.

The spots and smudges n the paper were worse after that. It is now showing spots on the paper coming through tray 2.

I will use water and/or soapy water. Is there a manual on this website that I can pull up on how to remove the rollers and clean them? I looked for instructions and could not find.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 9 of 15 (3,226 Views)

from what you are saying ,that it got worse after some cleaning,then it sounds like there is some excess toner in the path for sure.probably toward the registration inlet area.since the tray 1 pickup roller is in center.

though if you open the tray 1 door and pop off the envelope feeder accessory cover ,then you can get good access to the tray 1 pickup roller.

the registration would be a bit of a process to get out,so generally you would take out the cartridge and just lift the registration guide underneath it and clean it out as best as you can.on the sides in there also.afterward ,run some prints and give it a bit of time to clear up.it can be a bit tedious wiping around in the tight spaces.
Occasional Contributor
Pam Jensen
Message 10 of 15 (3,226 Views)

problem fixed! thankyou.
Occasional Visitor
MA24684
Message 11 of 15 (1,311 Views)

tiny black spots on letted head paper.

Dear Sir,

This is the new printer HP 551,

So when am printing with plain paper there are no black spots.

Only when am printing with letter head paper am getting the black spots.

I changed the black toner, reinstall the printer driver but still same issue.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 12 of 15 (1,290 Views)

Lets look at this logically. If printing with regular paper you get no spots, correct? If so it has to be the media you are using. Letterhead has a different texture and sometimes it is is not even made for laser printers, especially if very old. You can try to specify letterhead as the type of paper and see if that makes a difference. Also sometimes the spots you are getting are actually ink already on the letterhead coming off in the fuser and being put back on the paper latter. Have some different letterhead paper made for you from a different manufacturer.
Occasional Visitor
MA24684
Message 13 of 15 (1,286 Views)

Thanks for you quick response,

So which type of paper i had to select while printing on letter head.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 14 of 15 (1,265 Views)

You have a tray menu that allows you to tell the printer what type of paper is in each tray. Choose letterhead for the tray you put it in to see if it makes a difference. Odds are you issue is the actual ink from the letterhead portion of the paper is coming off and being placed later on the sheet. I assume the letterhead is printed in black ink.
Occasional Visitor
MA24684
Message 15 of 15 (1,258 Views)

I tried by changing the paper type from tray menu, but still same issue.

Please find the attached file.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.