@pjl enter language=pcl (1326 Views)
Occasional Contributor
CA992787
Message 1 of 9 (1,326 Views)

@pjl enter language=pcl

I have a network printer (a IIIsi) that spits out an extra page with only "@pjl enter language=pcl" on it. It seems to happen only with Adobe Acrobat documents...

any ideas on how to get rid of this extra page?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
BR708059
Message 2 of 9 (1,326 Views)

Re: @pjl enter language=pcl

I've found an explaination for your problem in the PJL Technical Reference Manual:

"...the HP LaserJet IIISi printer performs explicit printer language switching using the ENTER command. To enable the printer for language switching, the SYS SWITCH control panel setting must be set to ON."

So you may check this setting from the control panel.

Andreas
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
CA992787
Message 3 of 9 (1,326 Views)

Unfortunately, that is not in the IIIsi control panel... for your info, this is a network printer, and I am not sure where to set this option.. I looked through all of the front panel menu options and the one you specified is not there.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
BR708059
Message 4 of 9 (1,326 Views)

Hi again Matthew,

the following link leeds to a document which describes the control panel and the menu items of the IIISi:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=2...

You'll find the SYS SWITCH setting in the configuration menu.

Hope this helps
Andreas
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
CA992787
Message 5 of 9 (1,326 Views)

Well... I found the menu that you mentioned, but it did not have the menu options as stated in the document... I was only able to access AutoCont, IO, REt, and PageProtect

Any other options?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
BR708059
Message 6 of 9 (1,326 Views)

I'm puzzled, because these menu items should be there. Unfortuntely I've got no IIISi here to make some tests. So I scanned through all the documents available on the HP site hoping to find a hint for this. No result except a document which pointed out that printers with older serial numbers were delivered with SYS SWITCH = OFF.

After reading the document from my last post I found a difference in the descriptions of the MENU button and the steps to enter the menus:

MENU
Press MENU to access the Printing Menu. Hold down Menu until AUTO CONT= appears to access the Configuration menu.

Control panel menus
Use the information that follows to change HP LaserJet IIISi printer menu settings.
1. Press ON LINE to take the printer off line.
2. Press and hold down MENU until the display reads SYS=.
3. Press + or - to select the desired setting.

Could it be that you get SYS= if you keep holding down the MENU button until it appears on the display?

Andreas
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
CA992787
Message 7 of 9 (1,326 Views)

Nope... I cycled through all of the menu options.. and I cant seem to get it, the other IIIsi that I have for setting up JD boxes has even less options than the first...

I may just recommend that it be pulled out and surplussed because it is wasting reams of paper.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
BR708059
Message 8 of 9 (1,326 Views)

Finally you could change the printer model in the driver to "Laserjet III" or "IIID", because these printers are not capable of language switching. So the print data stream sent to the printer would not contain the @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE command.

By the way, are you sure you have a IIISi? Only this one would have the menu items for language switching (SYS= and SYS SWITCH=), all the other III's do not.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1175769
Message 9 of 9 (1,326 Views)

hi! I also have the same problem. I used PCL5 driver and everytime I print, the command line "@PJL enter language=pcl" appears in the first and last page of the document. Please help.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation