laserjet 4700 replace fuser kit - does not (6950 Views)
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 1 of 35 (6,950 Views)

laserjet 4700 replace fuser kit - does not

Replaced the fuser but the error message did not clear. How do I clear the message?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 35 (6,950 Views)

Re: laserjet 4700 replace fuser kit - does not

I assume you turned off the printer and then turned it back on. If so and to be honest my research of the complete hp site does not show how to reset, but here is a procedure which is common to a lot of printers your age and may or may not work. Turn the printer off. Now turn on the printer and when the memory starts to count press and hold the green check mark button until all 3 lights come on solid. Release and the menu should say select language. Scroll down thru the menu and see if there is an item for fuser kit or maintenance kit and if there is select it by highlighting and hitting the check mark button.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 3 of 35 (6,950 Views)

Followed the instructions you provided but no success. There was no option in the menu about fuser or maintenance kit.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 4 of 35 (6,950 Views)

if your talking about the maintenance kit reset,i believe all you should have to do is scroll to the configure device menu on the printer,press select(check mark button);then scroll(with arrows) to "resets",press select.then scroll to "reset supplies",press select.

there should be the options on that menu for resetting the fuser and transfer belt.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 5 of 35 (6,950 Views)

There is no option in RESET menu to select fuser reset (find attached JPG file). Could it be the sensor? BTW, the printer is printing fine.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 6 of 35 (6,950 Views)

those instructions were for doing it on the printer menu's.usually the options will only pop up in the menu if the message is up.

otherwise you should be able to do it manually in the service menu.if you need a pin to enter ,try:09470005
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 7 of 35 (6,950 Views)

There is no option to reset the message in the Service menu, here are the options:
Clear Event Log
Mono Cycle Count
Color Cycle Count
Refubish Page Count
Serial Number
Service ID
Cold Reset Paper
Media Sensor Value

I also did a Reset to Factory Default, message did not clear.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 8 of 35 (6,950 Views)

Ted.

i think you need to access the reset menu from the printer control panel not the computer

Mark
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 9 of 35 (6,950 Views)

right;thats what i was saying above.otherwise if it don't show up there.maybe try a cold reset by following davids instructions above and when select language comes up ,scroll to cold reset and hit select.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 10 of 35 (6,950 Views)

though if a network card is left in during cold reset it can reset it also.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 11 of 35 (6,506 Views)

The Service menu is from the machine, there is no service menu in the web interface. I already performed the cold reset and factory default reset from the machine itself but message did not clear. Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 12 of 35 (6,506 Views)

on the printer,it would be under the configure device/resets/reset supplies menu.the menu option to reset supplies may not be there on the printer menu all the time,it usually will come up when the fuser low or other maintenance low messages come up.you can use the arrows on the printer control panel to scroll to each menu and press select to enter a new menu or sub menu.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 13 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Ted

From the control panel on the printer

scroll down to configure and select
scroll down to resets and select
scroll to new fuser and select

Mark
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 14 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Mark,

From control panel on the printer, I have 2 options in the Configure-Reset menu:
1. Restore Factory Default
2. Sleep Mode

Ted
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 15 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Ted

what error message is being displayed

Mark
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 16 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Mark,

The control panel display shows "Replace Fuser Kit". Please note that the fuser Q7502A is brand new and working when I tested on another Color Laserjet 4700.

Ted
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 17 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Ted

Remove the network card and do this

1. Turn the printer on.
2. As the printer performs its power-on sequence, press and hold until all three lights on the
control panel are lit.
3. When SELECT LANGUAGE displays on the control panel, scroll until COLD RESET
displays on the control panel.
4.select . The printer performs a cold reset and then continues its power-on sequence.

then go to the resets menu and see if the fuser reset is there

mark
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 18 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Mark,

I did that already. RESET menu showed the same options.

Ted
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 19 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Ted

just spent 1/2 hour checking the service manual
and it gives no help at all with this

normaly when you get this message you replace the fuser and the count resets or you go into the resets menu and select new fuser. the only thing left to try would be a NVRAM reset if you have not already tried this

CAUTION Initializing NVRAM resets the serial number, the event log, the page counts, the
calibration settings, and the EIO card. Use the SERVICE menu to restore the serial number
and page counts. You also need to reconfigure any computers that print to this printer to
recognize the printer. Initialize NVRAM only when absolutely necessary. In most situations,
use a cold reset to reset printer variables but still retain the needed values in the SERVICE menu.

Before initializing NVRAM, print a configuration page and a supplies status page to gather the
following information:
â Total page count and color page count
â Serial number
To initialize NVRAM
1. Turn the printer on and watch the control panel display.
2. When the display shows the memory count, press and hold down scroll until all three lights on the control panel are lit.
3. Press up scroll
4. Press Menu. The message SKIP DISK LOAD displays on the control panel.
5. Press up scroll until NVRAM INIT is highlighted.
6. Press select . The printer initializes NVRAM and then continues its power-on sequence.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 20 of 35 (6,506 Views)

Mark,
I appreciate your time and efforts . I will try to reset the NVRAM.

This is a network printer, I have all the ip address and hostname info. Besides entering back all the info and values on the printer, Is there anything I need to do on the server side? You also mentioned that I need to reconfigure the computers that prints to the printer, that only applies if it's a local printer correct?

Thanks,
Ted
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 21 of 35 (6,615 Views)

Ted,

Bottom line, remove and replace the fuser again, and see if the message clears.

Background:

I spend about an hour and a half on this. About the only helpful information I found was in a discussion thread at some site outside HP (many sites back now, and I'm not sure I could find it again), which indicated that the 4700 is supposed to automatically reset the count and clear the message when a new fuser's installed IF the old fuser was out.

In other words, this would be IF the message you're seeing is:
REPLACE FUSER KIT
For help press (question mark)
Which indicates The fuser kit has reached the end of its life.

And not if:
REPLACE FUSER KIT
For help press (question mark)
alternates with
REPLACE FUSER KIT
To continue press (check mark)
Which indicates The fuser is nearing the end of its useful life and the REPLACE SUPPLIES setting in the SYSTEM SETUP menu is set to STOP AT LOW . Printing can continue.

No information anywhere on how to reset it if you replace the kit early before it's completely gone.

As you know by now, there is no information on resetting the count anywhere. It's not in the resets menu, and it's not in the service menu (I'm seeing the same choices that Ted is in both on my 4700n). It's also not in the service manual as you know. Basically all the "official" sources simply say take the old one out, and put the new one in, and end there. All of that would reinforce the statement I found that it's supposed to be an automatic reset of the count.

So I'm hoping that perhaps the new fuser isn't completely seated in Ted's 4700.

Pat
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ted Delin
Message 22 of 35 (6,615 Views)

Pat,

I removed and replaced the fuser kit numerous times but the message still appears.
Since the printer continues to work with the old fuser, Should I put the old fuser back until it stops printing then replace it with a new fuser?

Thanks,
Ted
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 23 of 35 (6,615 Views)

Ted,

If it were my 4700, I would try that; but I'd rather that David, raz, and Mark chime in on that since they all work in printer repair, and I don't.

If, as it appears, HP has dumbed it down with the 4700 where the only option is the automatic message clear when the fuser's replaced, and there is no way to manually clear the count, that would be a shame.

Pat
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 24 of 35 (6,615 Views)

Ted

have you printed off the supplies status page
its in the info menu. what is the status of the fuser life on this

Mark
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 25 of 35 (6,615 Views)

at this point it seems like the NV ram init. might be the only choice.as far as i know the methods described above are the way to do it.if the official sources say it would just be replaced ,then the message should dissapear.i mean you probably really don't want this message on the display all the time.

one other thing is to check your firmware version.if you don't have the latest version,maybe upgrade it.the current firmware version on the download page is:46.033.1--sep. 17 2007.i have'nt looked into it,but there may be a fix or something with it.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation