laserjet 4200 Windows 7 driver? (3896 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Paladin62
Message 1 of 5 (3,896 Views)

laserjet 4200 Windows 7 driver?

I have tried everything to connect to a networked 4200 printer and nothing works. I tried the update feature and nothing. I tried the universal printer driver and still nothing.

Can I not connect to the 4200 printer anymore now that I switched to Win7?

The 4200 is the business workhorse so it should have a new driver for Win7.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 5 (3,878 Views)

Re: laserjet 4200 Windows 7 driver?

The drivers are contained in the operating system or the update and the only time you wil have an issue is if the printers is attached to another computer using an eariler operating system and is shared over the network.  Since you do not tell us how the printer is networked I assume this is your issue.  If it is there is a trick.  Just add the printer to the windows 7 computer as a local printer attached to port lpt1.  Do not use autodetect and no test page.  When the printer has been loaded right click on the printer icon and scroll down to the first properties and left click.  Now go to ports and choose add port and local port and in the box put in the computer name and share name of the printer using the following syntax:  \\computername\sharename  and save and apply and it will work.  You of course substitute the comptuer name of the computer that has the printer attached and substitute the share name of the printer.  If the printer is a network printer on a server and shared use the same procedure using the server name and the printer name on the server.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Paladin62
Message 3 of 5 (3,869 Views)

Worked perfectly!!!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
skyblonde
Message 4 of 5 (3,387 Views)

Wow!  After 8 months of reading blogs, this was the ONLY thing that worked for me, and SO simple.  I can't believe it, thanks for the advice SO MUCH!  You are a genius : )

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Novus_Support
Message 5 of 5 (1,903 Views)

The problem with these workarounds is that regular users of the Windows 7 computers cannot connect to the shared HP 4200 printer in the same manner as they have learned to attach every other shared printer. Therefore, every new computer that is deployed requires technician intervention to attach their printer, a step that was not required with their old XP computers.

This does not appear to be a Microsoft problem since other printers continue to work the same way, easily attached from the print server.

This appears to be a problem with the HP drivers, and it should be fixed.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation