laserjet 2500 prints blank pages (3485 Views)
Advisor
Jay Weaver
Message 1 of 13 (3,485 Views)

laserjet 2500 prints blank pages

I have a laser jet 2500 that will only print blank pages. Engine test comes out blank as well as internal self tests. I have replaced the laser/scanner, image drum, and low volatge power supply. Any ideas what to try next. Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 13 (3,485 Views)

Re: laserjet 2500 prints blank pages

I do not know if this will help or not but there is a laser/scanner switch towards the right side which is pressed in by a protusion on the toner door cover. Make sure that protusion is not missing or bent to one side.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 3 of 13 (3,485 Views)

Jay,
Almost certainly your carousel is out of index: That is the drive gears at the top of the carousel gears on each side are a tooth or two off. To check this, open the top cover and remove the cartridge exposed (if possible). Check the track down into the carousel and see if the arrows on each side line up with the track. If not, you must remove the top cover and index the carousel gears with their drive gears above. See the indexing marks shown in the service manual.

Pull the black carousel gear inward and push the white drive gear outward until you can skip a tooth or two to get it back in index.
Luck,
Don
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ol Drippy
Message 4 of 13 (3,485 Views)

I have the same problem with a Laserjet 2550n. I've tried posting on this forum but have recieved no reply's yet. In my printer I can removed the toner carts just fine. One side does seem to be off one notch on the carousel. Before I take apart the office printer could you please let me know if this fixed your problem. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jay Weaver
Message 5 of 13 (3,485 Views)

FYI
Just to let you know I won't be able to check this out until friday.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ol Drippy
Message 6 of 13 (3,485 Views)

Hi Jay,
I wanted to let you know that I went ahead and followed the instructions kindly supplied by Don. The printer is now printing. The prints are unreadible but at least it is printing something now. The prints that are coming out are banded and go dark to light, fron top to bottom of each sentence. Wierd. So, I think that I also have another problem. I found this on another post by Leah Stephens. I hope it helps.

Rotate the carousel so that the marker for the yellow print cartridge faces the front of the printer.
Examine the gears: two marks on the smaller gear should line up with the single mark on the large gear (see the detail in figure 30 below).
NOTE: The single mark on the larger gear is adjacent to the slot for the black cartridge, marked with a "K".
If the gears are not aligned correctly, locate the marks on the gears and realign the gears.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jay Weaver
Message 7 of 13 (3,485 Views)

The gears on both sides of the carousel were not aligned. Once I religned the gears the printout is now fine. Thanks for all the help.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Cleary Janes III
Message 8 of 13 (3,485 Views)

Thank you Mr. Thompson for your solution. After hours and hours of searching. You had the right answer for me. I know this is a year later than you posted. I found my 2550l at a thrift store for 35 dollars. Most posts gave the laser scanner as the solution. Yours was a needle in a haystack. It took some doing to get the gears in place without taking out the carousel. Now the printer is printing great.

Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Homer Smith
Message 9 of 13 (3,485 Views)

My HP 2500N was intermittently failing to lock into
place when the carousel turned. I traced
this down to the relay solenoid that locked the carousel in place, it was
sticking in the up position even after the
power to it was cut off.

Originally the solenoid had a felt pad
for the striker to strike against in the
up position, I thought possibly to soften the noise of it clattering back and forth.
Anyhow the felt had worn away leaving a sticky glue behind, thus the solenoid intermittently did not
fall back down when it should,
thus the carousel would turn too far, making it impossible to change cartridges or wander while trying to transfer an image causing a no color to show up for that color.

So I cleaned off the glue, and the printer started printing white pages. In watching the solenoid I noticed that it NEVER
fell back down when power was removed. In fact I took the solenoid out, powered it up, and removed the plug from the printer and the
striker remained tightly clasped to the solenoid.

Turns out this is the result of paramagnatism, the solenoid becomes a magnet
while power is applied, and that induces an
opposite magnet in the striker, and when the power is removed, the two continue to magnetize each other thus creating a continued
attraction. The spring on the relay was NOT
strong enough to break the paramag attraction. However if I manually opened
the relay, the paramag vanished and the striker
woldn't stick any more until it was powered
up again.

The paramag was caused by a complete circuit in the striker because the striker
was connected to the metal case at the fulcrum end and also at the front landing pad where the felt used to be. The paramag depended on that closed loop to maintain the effect.

By putting a piece of tape on the landing pad the paramag effect went away and the solenoid started to work right, namely release when the power was cut to it, and the printer started to print perfectly again,
because the carousel was locking properly
into place every time.

Homer Smith
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
UCF20
Message 10 of 13 (3,485 Views)

Homer's solution was perfect for me. After disassembly and analyzing the situation, I realized the solenoid arm was releasing slightly slow due to a sticky patch in between there. That allowed the carousel to rotate approx 1/2" too far so I couldn't load cartridges. It also caused color omission problems when printing because obviously the carousel was overrotating when that color was needed.

This is on a laserjet 2500 fyi

Great information exchange site here HP!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
UCF20
Message 11 of 13 (2,809 Views)

Oh yeah, sorry, my solution was to simply slide a tab of paper in between there
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JRVD
Message 12 of 13 (2,809 Views)

I could use some help with this problem.
My prints are blank. Also the internal pages are bad (not totally blank).

Reading through the possible solutions it is not clear to me.

Should I take out the yellow cartridge and drum or can I easily reach the gears?

can somebody help me with pictures of the markings? I cannot find them.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Flyingdeloreanm
Message 13 of 13 (2,021 Views)

Greetings, I have a problem with my HP 2500L and it prints really only in yellow. Everything I have read says to remove the lock solenoid and check the foam like pad on it.

I do not know where the solenoid is or how to remove it. Please let me know, Thanks!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation