laser jet 2420d line down center page (497 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Phillip W
Message 1 of 8 (497 Views)

laser jet 2420d line down center page

Printer has started printing a thin line down center of page (actually 4" from left edge and 4 1/2" from right. Have been using printer less than a year.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Joseph Glawson
Message 2 of 8 (497 Views)

Re: laser jet 2420d line down center page

Have another known good toner cartridge you can throw in there? (I.E. - Prints good without any print defects) More than like it will be your toner cartridge. Next couple of items to suspect would be the fuser or transfer roller.

Let us know what you find out...

Joe
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 8 (497 Views)

Lets not leave it to guessing. Do a half test which will tell you where it is happening. Put a sheet of paper on the manual feeder and do a self test such as configuration page from the information menu and when the back edge of the paper on the manaul tray just enters the printer, open the toner door fast to stop printing. Remove the toner and look at the unfused image below. If the line is present it is the toner. If the line is not present, the fuser teflon sleeve is the most likley cause.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Phillip W
Message 4 of 8 (497 Views)

OK, I did the half test and apparently it is the toner cartridge since line is still there. My next question is, is this normal for a cartridge if it is getting close to the end of it's life? Since pages still print fine except for the extra line down the page, and I hate to put out the cost of a new cartridge, I wonder if this is a 'warning' or just a quirk of this particular cartridge.
Thanks for your replies!
-PHIL-
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Joseph Glawson
Message 5 of 8 (497 Views)

I suppose it depends on if you can put up with the line going down the middle of the page or not...I've seen some strange stuff from print cartridges even when new...even stranger stuff after printing for a while...

Joe
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Kim Schilke
Message 6 of 8 (497 Views)

David,
I guess Joe was right and wasn't "just guessing", he recommended exactly what he should have. He suggested the cartridge was the cause and let the requester know it needed to be troubleshot. Making offensive comments to the other forum members is uncalled for.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Phil_120
Message 7 of 8 (497 Views)

Wow,

I must have missed a post in here Kimberly!

There was NOTHING offensive in Davids comment that I could see, & he also gave the PERFECT troubleshooting procedure on this.

He simply wanted to take the guesswork out of it first, which is what the half test will do.

Regards,
Phil
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Phillip W
Message 8 of 8 (497 Views)

Thanks again to Joe and David! All I was after was a simple response which both gave!
I'm new to this forum and I appologize for not adding "points" to either of you but I'm of the old school of 'give and accept thanks when due' The whole points thing just seems to add needless bickering. So...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

-Phillip Williams-
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation