genuine HP toner cartridges vs. remanufactured (2406 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA784168
Message 1 of 14 (2,406 Views)

genuine HP toner cartridges vs. remanufactured

Could people let me know whether genuine HP toner cartridges are better than the remanufactured toner cartridges? This is for laser jet printers, all the way from the LaserJet II up to the very latest models. Thanks very much.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rachelle Thoren
Message 2 of 14 (2,406 Views)

Re: genuine HP toner cartridges vs. remanufactured

Ronald,

Before you consider using a non HP product, I would like you to take a look at the following information:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl01845.html

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl03766.html

Rachelle
Each day holds promise, purpose and possibility.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Steve Urbach
Message 3 of 14 (2,406 Views)

What I have seen of re-built toner units is that they vary *WIDELY* in quality.
Some units work just fine and the next one (same supply source) leaked toner so badly that the printer had to be sent out for repair (toner got everywhere it was not supposed to be).
Bite the bullet and get the genuine thing. There is Costco, Best Buy and others.
Your printer will last lots longer.
(I am ot associated with HP in any way,
except as a user/customer)
"you can't do that in restricted horizontal mode" - TEX-Don Knuth
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Gareth H
Message 4 of 14 (2,406 Views)

whilst HP toner cartridges cost more than refilled/remanufactured toners, you do, as they say, "Get what you pay for".

I have found that recycled toners, generally, don't last as long, are prone to leaks, and don't always produce the same quality prints.

So, you may pay less for the recycled toners but you do tend to need to replace them more often, and then you have added maintenence costs (if only by way of your time) with leaks etc.

If the recycled toners could be improved in quality then they would be a good, environmentally friendy, viable option - but until then I'll be sticking with the HP toners.
err, I dunno - I'll ask someone !
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA764627
Message 5 of 14 (2,406 Views)

Ronald
I been recycling HP toner cartridges for 11 yrs. If they are done correctly they will work just as good or better then OEM's. I have never had a cartridge cause a problem with a printer. I have had to go clean more printers with problem OEM cartridges than any other. I do about 600 cartridges a month and get about 10 returned with defects, which 4 are empty. They last just as long or longer than OEM cartridges. And no it does not void any warranty. That's like Ford telling you to only use Ford motor oil when you change your oil. If HP themselves recycle cartridges then remanufactured cartridges must work or they wouldn't do it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA784168
Message 6 of 14 (2,406 Views)

Thanks very much for all the comments. They are very useful. Does anyone know of any additional sites or resources that talk about this issue? Thanks very much again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA764627
Message 7 of 14 (2,406 Views)

Ronald
You can go to www.recycle.net
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Trey Adams
Message 8 of 14 (2,406 Views)

Ronald,

I understand HP's desire to protect its very profitable market segment. I also understand that in the early days of the industry (15+ years ago) the quality of non-OEM parts was not very good. Today several manufacturers make replacement cartridges that are as good as or better than the OEM parts--at a lower cost.

Fram and Puralotor make darn good filters. Non-OEM's make darn good cartrdiges. Remember, I am not talking about refilled or refabed OEM cartridges. I am referring to non-OEM cartridges manufacturers. I have priced them and used them on HPs and Epsons. One company stands out.

Do some checking and you will see what I mean. Also, you can see the WSJ article form last week that discussed this very issue. Sorry HP, but it did give you a black eye. Here is the article:

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/600980022524.html

Still HP makes some of the best printers in the industry.

Trey
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
CA694228
Message 9 of 14 (2,406 Views)

I have to jump on HP's bandwagon here. Three years ago I tried two different sources of remanufactured toner cartridges for 4Si, and 5Si and they averaged fewer pages than HP's product. If you got a "good" on it may last longer. But there were enough bad ones to bring the average down. Very inconsistent. Plus you never know until it's too late when a toner will dump in your printer. Yes, I've had HP brand carts do this too, but either they were damaged by a paper jam (one time) or they were at the end of the life anyway.

Then I tried Lexmark brand carts for the same printers. They were more consistent than remanufactured, but the HP didn't like the Lexmark toner. I had a 4Si fuser that got coated with lexmark toner. Replaced with a new fuser and the same problem began. Switched to real HP toner and the fuser eventually cleaned up!

So it's HP only for me! If your hp "A" toners last 6 months or less, and if HP makes an "X" model toner cart, buy it. It has more toner in it. If your "A" toners last a year or more, stick with them. What I'm talking about is "98X" vs "98A" toners.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Justin Monk
Message 10 of 14 (2,406 Views)

I see this post is a little old (2002)

Have things changed as of Remanufacture vs OEM ?

The majority of people I've talked to all have good things to say about Remanufactured Cartridges. Maybe they have gotten better at making them ?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
William Grace_1
Message 11 of 14 (1,969 Views)

In my experience with supporting schools that use HP printers, whenever they use NON HP toner it causes problems, leaks and everything.

I suggest stick with HP.

Then again, it is almost cheaper to buy a new printer than replace 4 carts in a color laser jet.

I suggets getting a new printer each time and returning the old one to HP, it their costing method that makes things that way.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ken Woolfe
Message 12 of 14 (1,969 Views)

I work at a national science Lab. We buy our remanufactured cartridges through Staples and other reputable sources for many years. My experience has been that black cartridges work well, although sometimes run out sooner than advertised. Very little trouble and MUCH cheaper (1/2 to 1/5 the price).
Color has been a bigger problem. Color quality is not as good (HP4500 and now HP3800). Yellows often turn out more orange and blues get a bit muddy. Color is passable if color accuracy is not important. Getting color right is much harder for the after market toner makers. HP quality is tops but comes at a price.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
William Grace_1
Message 13 of 14 (1,967 Views)

Great, these links had some great information on them, but now I can not find it.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl01845.html

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl03766.html

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
cyril_hcl
Message 14 of 14 (1,683 Views)

you can use re-manufactured cartridges as its more reliable/cost effective and contributing towards eco...all the way u gain!!! if u r in INDIA contact me.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation