Windows 7 64-bit client, HP 4100 printer and Windows 2003 Print Server (3318 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Janine Carlson
Message 1 of 4 (3,318 Views)

Windows 7 64-bit client, HP 4100 printer and Windows 2003 Print Server

I have a Windows 2003 32-bit print server that is running a print quota application and has our printers shared out. I have a HP 4100 printer that is shared out and has no problems with a 32-bit clients. I've added some Windows 7 64-bit clients and am having problems installing the 64-bit client (error is about wrong processor architecture) or connecting to the printer (other clients have no problem connecting to the printer so it's not a network or permissions issue).

Any suggestions? Should I recommend upgrading the printer to something newer that doesn't use the Universal printer driver (I've heard this generic printer driver doesn't work well) and had direct Windows 7 64-bit support? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help!
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 2 of 4 (3,318 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64-bit client, HP 4100 printer and Windows 2003 Print Server

The 64bit systems need to be "tricked" into letting you specify the drivers to use (instead of the drivers that the server will try to 'push').

Install the printer on the 64bit clients, connecting to LPT1, then after the printer is installed, re-open the printer properties and change the Port to "local port" and there put in the path to the shared print queue.

This allows the client to "be in control" of the drivers it uses while permitting the server to use drivers that are not compatible with the client's OS version.
Occasional Visitor
Janine Carlson
Message 3 of 4 (3,318 Views)

Thanks for that advice. However I need to be able to have the clients connect to the printer server because in order for the print quota application to count the pages, it must go through the print server's queue.

All I can do is go straight to the IP address of the jetdirect card which bypasses the print server if I do it the way Paul suggested.

Any other ideas?
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 4 of 4 (3,318 Views)

Please re-read what I said. I didn't say to connect directly to the printer, I said to use "local port" (instead of Standard TCP/IP or others).

When you create a local port, the computer will ask for a port name. Input the UNC path to the queue (like this: \\yourserver\printqueue, see attached) which permits the computer to connect to that queue while allowing the client computer to use the drivers preferred by that client.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.