Win 7 thinks LaserJet 1100 is offline but it's not (2193 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sawadii
Message 1 of 7 (2,193 Views)
Accepted Solution

Win 7 thinks LaserJet 1100 is offline but it's not

According to the 1100 manual, the printer is online; middle light is green, big one and other little one are off.  Printer prints test page fine.  When I plug it into USB on Win 7 laptop, Win 7 says it it installing device driver software (not sure why it needs to do this every time), and then says it has done so successfully.  But print jobs don't print, and when I check the printer's status, Win 7 says it is offline.

I previously had this cabled to parallel port on a desktop running XP and never had any problems.  When I got this laptop, I had to hook together a couple cable adapters to end up with USB, but I don't think anything there is the problem, because Windows recognizes it as a LaserJet 1100 when I plug in the USB.

And I have successfully printed a couple times with this set up.  I just don't know what I was doing differently.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (2,174 Views)

Re: Win 7 thinks LaserJet 1100 is offline but it's not

We get posts like yours many times a week.  The issue is the usb to parallel adapter you are using.  Some work, some do not and most times the issue is the port selection.  The port has to be usb or virtural printing port and not lpt.

Occasional Visitor
sawadii
Message 3 of 7 (2,150 Views)

Ok, thank you. Apologies for not finding prior posts.
Occasional Visitor
BjornKom
Message 4 of 7 (1,625 Views)

I successfully installed a PCI Express Parallell Port Card (Startech PEX1P) on my new HP computer running Windows 7 Home Edition, just to be able to use the LaserJet 1100. I then restarted with the Laserjet plugged in, and Windows updated drivers automatically. But I too get "offline" when I try to print from Word. Again, NO parallel to USB conversion going on.. What's up with that...? THANKS!  

Occasional Visitor
LaoBlue
Message 5 of 7 (1,359 Views)

I have the same problem! 1100 works fine with Windows XP, but not with Windows 7. Shows printer "offline", and documents do not print.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 7 (1,351 Views)

Go to printers and devices and right click on the icon and scroll down to use printer on line and left click and see what happens.
Occasional Visitor
tochineke
Message 7 of 7 (1,222 Views)

Hello i am having the same prolem. i bought a laserjet 2055dn printer and after installation, it worked for about 3 months and stopped working. it keeps telling me that it is offline and i have chnged the port to usb to no avail. when it when it was on lpt it was working and then stopped. what should i do?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.