Vertical streaks on images with Color laserjet 4600 (3446 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Gregory Brenner
Message 1 of 8 (3,446 Views)
Accepted Solution

Vertical streaks on images with Color laserjet 4600

I am getting vertical streaks on the impages I print with my Color Laserjet 4600. I printed the diagnosis pages and the streaks are in the same place on each pages regardless of color. I am thinking I need a new Image Transfer Kit. My image transfer surface, it has lines on it, looks like the same locations as the streaks in the images. I have never replaced it and it must be 5 or 6 years old by now.

Can anyone tell me if it is likely that by installing an image transfer kit will fix the streaking?

Thank you,
Greg

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 8 (3,446 Views)

Re: Vertical streaks on images with Color laserjet 4600

Probably not as the transfer unit usually does not cause streaks as it only touches the back of the paper. Most likely cause is the fuser and in particular a build up of toner on the bottom of the fuser where the paper enters. With the power off remove the fuser and turn it over. You will probably see a build up of purple crud which is caked on. Use a blade to scape as much of it off as you can but be careful of the two rollers inside the fuser as it is easy to damage and also do a little at a time and shake the crud off the rollers as it gets on them.
Occasional Advisor
Gregory Brenner
Message 3 of 8 (3,446 Views)

Thanks to Davidzuts, that fixed the streaking problem without spending a lot of money.

New problem is there are blue dots that appear regularly every 1.5 inches along the left margin of the page. I iassume some crud fell on the roller. I will try to clean, any pointers?

Thanks again,

Greg
Occasional Visitor
DCooper
Message 4 of 8 (3,446 Views)

I need some help very badly. I am getting very bad vertical streaks on all my printouts. They are the exact same pattern from all colors (printed a large gray, magenta, cyan & yellow squares & each exactly same bad streak problem). Hp support has sent me a new fuser that they though was the problem & still same problem & then sent me a new transfer belt unit but still same problem. I have vacuumed and cleaned all the insides that I could get to. There has to be a solution to this bad problem. Does anybody have any help? Thanks greatly if you can assist me. I need good printouts very badly. I attached a printout that I scanned that shows the streaks.

thanks,
D Cooper
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 8 (3,446 Views)

You need to do what was said above. You need to go to the diagnostics menu and choose the item pq troubleshooting and select. You will get solid fill pages along with an instruction sheet and it will tell you what is wrong. Most times it is one toner cartridge that causes issues. If you can not figure it out from them, then in the same diagnostics menu choose disable cartridge check and when the printer enters diagnostics mode you can then remove and switch the toners around to try and figure out if you have a slot or toner issue.
Occasional Visitor
DCooper
Message 6 of 8 (3,446 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I did the HQ troubleshooting. There were verticle streaks on the gray, magenta & cyan prints. Yellow looks ok. I put a new black cartridge in and that fixed the black verticle streaks but now there is a horizontal dark streak every 3 .75" across the page.(only the black). The cyan & magenta (orig HP cartridges) show 51% toner remaining but have streaks. I also switched the magenta and black cartridges. Can the cartridges be so old they cause streaks although they have lots of toner left in them & if so does HP have any warranty for when they do that?

I also ran the HQ troubleshooting again and all the pages have different areas of magenta on the back with verticle and horizontal streaks. I'm stumped!

help!,
D. Cooper
Occasional Visitor
DCooper
Message 7 of 8 (3,446 Views)

PS See my previous reply. When I opened the printer to put the black & magenta cartridges back in correct slots the transfer belt is covered with a lot of magenta toner. I cleaned it off the best I could with a cloth but the other side has toner on it too. Is there a way to rotate the belt 180 degrees so I can clean that side too? What caused this?

thanks again greatly,
D. Cooper
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 8 (3,446 Views)

Your magenta toner cartridge is toast and needs to be replaced. Before replacing make sure to set tray 1 to a particular size and type from the any, any which is default. Unless you change the dc controller to the later version that prevented the magenta issue you need to keep tray 1 at the new settings which will prevent the extra purge that causes the magenta toner cartridge to go bad.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.