Re: VPN prevents communication with your network printer (475 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jerry Loomis
Message 1 of 2 (493 Views)

VPN prevents communication with your network printer

I have two networked Laserjet 4100 printers that printed normally until last week, but now I get an error message in the printer folder when using my main computer (Dell XPS-One with Vista Home Premium)(my wife's Dell Portable continues to be able to print on these networked printers). When I use the HP Home Diagnostic Utility to trouble-shoot the problem, I get the message "This computer is connected to a Virtual Private Network (VPN)" and I am directed to disconnect from the VPN. I'm not sure what a VPN is, and have never intentionally created or connected to a VPN. I cannot figure out how to disconnect this computer, and cannot find any reference to a VPN anywhere in the settings. I'm wondering what could have happened to cause this problem, and am suspicious about having recently connected a new Verizon Droid Incredible to this computer, that I may have inadvertently changed a setting related to a VPN. In addition, I also recently did some trouble-shooting with my HP MediaSmart Home Server, and may have accidentally made a change there related to VPN. Can anyone give me some insight into VPN setting on a Vista PC, how I may have caused this, and how to disconnect it? Thanks...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jerry Loomis
Message 2 of 2 (475 Views)

Re: VPN prevents communication with your network printer

This issue seems to have been resolved, but I'm not sure how/ why. I did search in some of the settings of the Droid Incredible, and there were some mentions of setting up a VPN, but I don't think I had triggered this. I did uninstall a suspicious and unused Verizon program from my hard drive, but this did not immediately solve the problem. The printers did start working after I changed some settings in my McAfee Total Protection Services firewall settings related to the HP MediaSmart software, as well as a setting related to "spooler services" (I think), allowing them through the firewall. But the HP Network Diagnostic still say that I have a VPN on the computer that is blocking communication to the printers. If anyone has some insight into what might be happening here, I would appreciate help. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation