Universal PCL 6 driver 32-bit question (2734 Views)
Occasional Contributor
martyf
Message 1 of 4 (2,734 Views)

Universal PCL 6 driver 32-bit question

Our organization is migrating to Windows Server 2008 on 64-bit servers, but we still have all 32-bit workstations (mostly HP desktop computer).  I am trying to set up a network printer on the new 64-bit server for an HP Laserjet 3015, which I have been able to do.  But since the printer will be shared so it can be used by 32-bit desktops running either Windows 7 or Windows XP, I believe I need to add the 32-bit driver for the x86 system architecture. 

The problem is, I download the 32-bit version of the UPD PCL for the HP 3015 and install it on the server, but when I go to Sharing tab, click the Additional Drivers button, put a check mark in the x86 box, and browse for and select the driver on the server, I get told that the selected folder does not contain a driver for the specified architecture.  Has anyone else run into that?  As nearly as I can tell, it IS the correct driver.

I have no idea how to proceed, and would welcome and suggestions.

Marty

Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 2 of 4 (2,721 Views)

Re: Universal PCL 6 driver 32-bit question

I've seen this happen, not sure why it happens, but it does.  I might have some ideas about that.

So you've already got the 64bit UPD installed? (just checking)  And that is the driver you've used for the initial creation of the printer on the 64bit server?

HP Pro
5dollars
Message 3 of 4 (2,700 Views)

You can vend x32 UPD from an x64 UPD installed printer names, if both are the same UPD version release and same PDL.  Two steps required- install x64 printer and driver; install x32 driver.

Example assumes PCL6.... download both x32 and x64 HP Universal Print Driver PCL6.

1) Install the UPD x64 PCL6 driver onto your 2008 server.  Share the printer. x64 installation complete.

2) Select the installed UPD printer name, select PRINTER SERVER PROPERTIES button on the upper tool bar of the Devices and Printers folder, Drivers tab, select "HP Universal Printing PCL6" , select Add, Next, then unselect "x64 Type 3 User Mode" and select "x32 Type 3 User Mode", Have Disk, point to your UPD x32 PCL directory, proceed....  that should do it.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Occasional Contributor
martyf
Message 4 of 4 (2,688 Views)

Yes and yes.  However, after my last post, I deleted the printer definition on the server and started over again and tried setting up the printer with a UPD driver for Windows XP/Vista/7 even though it will be shared from a Windows server 2008 64-bit server, and now it works from 32-bit desktops running Windows 7 and WIndows XP.  The solutions seems counter-intuitive but it worked!  -marty

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.