Uneven printing with new cartridge (524 Views)
Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 1 of 11 (524 Views)
Accepted Solution

Uneven printing with new cartridge

I have a Color LaserJet 2605dn printer, and have just replaced the magenta cartridge - the previous one was leaking toner all over the printer.  

The new cartridge does not print evenly.  It is at full color in the centre of the page, gradually fading out to nearly nothing at both edges.  I have printed several pages, and have given the cartridge a series or good shakes, to no avail.  The other cartridges are over half full, and are printing perfectly.

Does this suggest a problem with the new cartridge?  Or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 11 (505 Views)

Re: Uneven printing with new cartridge

Was the leaking toner doing the same? If so that would indicate dirty optics which is common on this series. If not then the new toner may have issues.
Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 3 of 11 (491 Views)

DavidZuts wrote:
Was the leaking toner doing the same? If so that would indicate dirty optics which is common on this series. If not then the new toner may have issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Good thought.  Yes, the leaky cartridge is also showing uneven print.

So if there may be dirty optics, where are they located and how do I clean them?  It's only the magenta cartridge that has this problem.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 11 (479 Views)

See the attached.  Not for the faint at heart.

Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 5 of 11 (466 Views)

Thank you for that comprehensive link.  It seems to confirm my symptoms exactly.

As you say, it will be quite a job, but as the alternative is a new printer, I will go ahead and tackle it.

Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 6 of 11 (433 Views)

Followed the process with great care, and there was indeed much dust on some of the optics.  But upon re-assembly, there is another problem - perhaps not all that surprising given the delicacy of the job.

I am now getting an error message "50-7 Fuser Error", which means "Fuser Open Error" according to my manual.  The first time I turned it on, and printed a test page, the page partially printed then jammed.  Once I cleared the jam, this fuser error appeared, and now I get it immediately following the "Ready" indication every time I turn on.

Is this error likely to be related to all the unplugging and plugging back of all the connections that were required during the cleaning process?  I have been very careful, and have since repeated the disconnection and re-connection process, made sure no pins were bent or wires broken, and that all plugs were properly seated:  it all looks good now.  Which connector is likely to be the culprit?

Or is it possible that there is a genuine Fuser problem somewhere?  If so, where do I look, how do I know what to look for, and is there any obvious remedy?

Thanks.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 11 (425 Views)

Please confirm the error. My documentation only has 50.1, 50.2 and 50.3 and does not have an error of 50-7. Take a picture of the menu and post as attachment so I can see exactly what you are getting. If any connections will the the problem, they will be to the dc controller on the right side when looking at the rear. You have to be careful that each cable is fully seated in each connection. I have had many where the connection looks fine but the connector was not fully pushed in. Take a picture of the dc controller with the cables connected and post so I can see if any are missing. Sometimes one cable get stuck behind and does not get connected.
Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 8 of 11 (406 Views)

Thanks for the reply, and aploogies for the delay.

I am attaching as requested a picture of the error message in the 2-line LCD display - it doesn't come out very clear, as the contrast is low, but it says "50.7 Fuser Error.  Turn off then on".  My manual has errors 50.1, 50.2, 50.3, 50.7, 50.8, 50.9 listed, and the description for 50.7 is "Fuser Open Error" - see copy of manual entry.

I also attach a picture of the DC controller board, and I have double-checked that all of the connectors shown are fully seated.  I don't see any unconnected wires.  Now, when I removed the connectors to get at the optics, some were difficult to remove and I had to be very careful to avoid damaging the wires into them, but as far as I can tell they all seem OK (but hard to tell for sure).

Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 9 of 11 (380 Views)

I suspect that the issue might not be with connections to the DC formatter:  this is the sequence after I completed the cleaning of the optics and re-assembly:

-  Printer came up normally, and gave the "Ready" prompt.

-  I printed a test page, which started to print, but the paper jammed - concertina-ed up against the upper rollers.

-  Cleared the paper jam, and immediately got the Fuser Error message.

-  Now I get the fuser error every time I power on, and the printer will not accept any print jobs or test pages.  The fuser error is also reported in the printer web page accessible from the computer.

Since the printer did start up normally once after re-assembly, it suggests that the re-assembly was correct.  So I would like to see whether the Fuser Error is a genuine fuser fault.  So my question is:  exactly what is the Fuser, where is it, and how can I test it for the "Open" condition that the fault code is reporting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 10 of 11 (368 Views)

The fuser is at the top of the printer where the paper comes out. It is the item that binds the toner to the paper with heat. You need to remove the top cover to access the fuser. Just do a google search for the service manual for your printer and it should be listed for download at a number of sites at no charge.
Occasional Advisor
PaulFryer
Message 11 of 11 (345 Views)

The fuser is too complex to evaluate whether it is at fault, or whether the issue is on the logic board.  I am not willing to replace the fuser with no certainty that it's the problem.  Still got that Fuser Eror message and no printing.

So it looks like I will have to give up on this printer and replace it, but when I started this that was always a risk.  That's life, I guess.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.