Unable to store job at printer (16470 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Charles Pinsky
Message 1 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Unable to store job at printer

Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premier to Windows 7 Enterprise and started getting above message when trying to print multiple copies of anything - even a one word text file.

Doing same from my machine, which is running Windows 7 Professional, no problem.

Printing multiple copies from W7 Enterprise to my printer, no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 2 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Re: Unable to store job at printer

A bit confused by your post ...

> Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premier to Windows 7 Enterprise and started getting above message ...

> Printing multiple copies from W7 Enterprise to my printer, no problem.

On the working system, check the printer properties "Device Settings" tab for Job Storage and Mopier Mode (see attached jpeg) and set these on the failing system.

Ken
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 3 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Sorry forgot attachment ...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Charles Pinsky
Message 4 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Ken, thanks for your help. The settings are the same in both places. I have, however, narrowed it down a little and the finger seems to point at the printer. When I print multiple copies and uncheck 'Collate' it works fine, as the duplication is apparently taken care of at source. When I ask it to collate and the printer has to do the duplication, then this involves storage on the printer and that fails. I have about 70% free space on the RAM drive in the printer - it isn't a space issue it is something to do with settings, I believe.

Charles.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 5 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Charles,

What model printer is causing the issue?

Ken
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Charles Pinsky
Message 6 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Ken, good point!

Its a color laserjet 4650n.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 7 of 8 (16,470 Views)

Charles,

Collation is a weird one - let me shed some light ...

Suppose you have a 3 page Word document, printing two "normal" single sided
copies generates the following :-
page1, page1, page2, page2, page3, page3 and
page1, page2, page1, page2, page3, page3, in duplex mode.

The user then has to manually sort the out to get collated copies.

All laserjets can print "normal" copies trivially - they merely need enough memory to retain an image of a single page in memory or two pages for duplex
models - which is why duplex printers usually come with twice the memory of simplex printers

Printing collated copies, the same document would print :-
page1, page2, page3, page1, page2, page3 - no further sorting is required.

The problem can be tackled in two ways :-

The user (or application) can essentially send the job twice but this means that twice as much data needs to be sent to the printer AND the printer has to process and render the document twice. The problem is worst if say you had a much larger document and needed many more collated copies.

This was the situation before HP introduced something called MOPY-ing - transmit once, process once and print many times. However in order to achieve this, the printer must be capable of processing and storing the entire rendered document in memory - usually on an optional hard-drive or in a RAM-disk. Once the document has been processed and rendered internally, it can then be printed off at engine speed. The saving are in terms of communications and processing times since these are only done once. Unfortunately, not all LaserJets support MOPY-ing without an optional hard-drive or extra memory to support the RAM-disk.

I suspect what has been happening in your case is that with W7 Home Premium (and W7 Professional) the application has (silently) been sending the document multiple times and so no error mesages but with W7 Enterprise, it is trying to MOPY, and hence the store job error message.

The LJ4650 supports MOPY-ing but needs extra memory. Now the confusing bit.

According to page 107 the User Guide, the printer needs at least 192MB of RAM to enable MOPY-ing but according to page 123 of the Software Technical Reference manual for this model, the printer needs a minimum
of 288MB of RAM ; I can't tell because my LJ4650 has 384MB of RAM installed.

1. On the failing system, you could try switching off Mopier mode and Job Storage in the Device Settings and possibly Advanced Printing Features in the Printing Preferences/Printing Defaults and see if these changes clears the message. In this state, the driver should send the job multiple times with the associated overhead previously mentioned.

2. Add enough memory (I think 288MB) to allow MOPY-ing.

I suggest that you download the "HP Color LaserJet 4650 - Software Technical Reference" from :-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=375773

(its under the Software Reference section and seach for "collate" and "mopy" ; it has a lot of info relevant to your problem.

Sorry for the L-O-N-G posting but I hope it helps.

Regards

Ken
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
lsk4psu
Message 8 of 8 (11,480 Views)

Charles, did the information above fix your problem?  I, too, can print multiple copies only when I change it to not collate.  (And thanks for your post because I wouldn't have known to try that- I'd still be printing one copy at a time!)

Lisa

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation