USB to Parallel HP LaserJet 4 Plus Printer (739 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Elbert Curtis
Message 1 of 4 (739 Views)

USB to Parallel HP LaserJet 4 Plus Printer

I am connecting my HP Pavilion via USB to my HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer with a USB/parallel cable. I have installed the windows drivers, but I am unable to get the computer and printer to talk with each other. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 2 of 4 (739 Views)

Re: USB to Parallel HP LaserJet 4 Plus Printer

Elbert,

I've seen posts similar to yours several times in the forums. It seems that the usb/parallel adapter cables sometimes work and sometimes don't. You might want to try replacing the cable with a different one and see if that works. Belkin makes good products, and you might want to try this one.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=20651

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Stephen Bloch
Message 3 of 4 (739 Views)

Here is the solution, thanks to the Computer Wiz at our local Circuit City. As he pointed out, since Windows recognizes the printer, the cable is functioning fine. Look at Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, and you'll most likely see an icon for your HP Laserjet 4+, as well as a similar one marked "Copy 1" -- Make THAT your default printer, and I'm confident it will print fine. I had the same problem with my HP Laserjet 5P and now it's good to go and Git-r Done.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 4 of 4 (739 Views)

Stephen,

Thanks for that tip.

Elbert,

Please post back after you try that, and let us know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Pat
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.