Toner on transfer belt - Color Laserjet 2600n (2418 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 1 of 17 (2,418 Views)

Toner on transfer belt - Color Laserjet 2600n

After printing photos and similar color pages I noticed that sometimes there is a pattern of brighter patches on black background. I noticed that there is similar pattern of magneta toner on transfer belt. Cleaning pages and calibration can't remove it. I bought printer 15 days ago and I have printed less than 300 pages.

I have tried several 80g/m² and 120g/m² paper types and printing under Vista, 2003 and Mandriva linux. Same results.

I have
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 2 of 17 (2,418 Views)

Re: Toner on transfer belt - Color Laserjet 2600n

Have a look at the attachment. Report back with success or failure. . .
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 3 of 17 (2,418 Views)

I tried that but it didn't help. I'm not 100% certain that I found developing disengaging block on my 2600n so I put folded piece of paper below little black tube which is 2 little copper pieces (they look like electric contacts to me). Maybe thats what I did wrong.

Anyway my problem with toner isn't that big leak. It's more like a fine layer of dust on ETB. When I removed it with some filter paper it looked reddish so I assumed that it is from magneta toner. After a few printed pages it appears again. And my magneta toner is at 83% while cyan and yellow are at 90%. Black witch I use the most is at 88%.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Adam F.
Message 4 of 17 (2,418 Views)

Don: that document was for the 4600, not the 2600. Slightly different, those two. ;)

As a suggestion, have you tried a different cartridge just yet? I realize, your printer is pretty new, but it can have an effect. Besides, replacement printer, replacement cartridge... easier to obtain the cartridge instead of the printer, if you know what I mean.

Also, I feel like I have to beat this drum a lot, but check your power conditions as well. Make sure you've tried a different place to plug the printer in - preferrably a wall outlet directly - and a different power cable.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 5 of 17 (2,418 Views)

It's connected to a wall outlet directly and I have tried several different outlets but it didn't work.

I don't have enough money to buy a new magneta toner cartridge at this time so I can't try with different cartridges.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Adam F.
Message 6 of 17 (2,418 Views)

Contact HP support. They might be able to get you squared away with another magenta. That way, you're not paying for it. ;)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 7 of 17 (2,418 Views)

OK. I'll call HP support and see what they will say.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 8 of 17 (2,418 Views)

Well, I sent printer to a HP authorized service and after a week they said that there was nothing wrong with it. So after 2-3 days I got horizontal lines on printed paper. This time it was undeniable so I sent it again to a HP authorized service. It was there until today. Now they are saying that I need to buy new toner cartridges because they claim that my »introductory toner cartridges« are empty and that they can »print only 500 pages« and that »warranty doesn't cover toners«. What should I do now??? As far as I know CLJ2600n comes with full cartridges, not introductory, and they do have warranty. Any suggestions how to prove to the service that I am not using introductory cartridges??? And when I sent the printer to the service second time my toners were about 80% full.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 9 of 17 (2,418 Views)

Well, I sent printer to a HP authorized service and after a week they said that there was nothing wrong with it. So after 2-3 days I got horizontal lines on printed paper. This time it was undeniable so I sent it again to a HP authorized service. It was there until today. Now they are saying that I need to buy new toner cartridges because they claim that my »introductory toner cartridges« are empty and that they can »print only 500 pages« and that »warranty doesn't cover toners«. What should I do now??? As far as I know CLJ2600n comes with full cartridges, not introductory, and they do have warranty. Any suggestions how to prove to the service that I am not using introductory cartridges??? And when I sent the printer to the service second time my toners were about 80% full.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ron Wang
Message 10 of 17 (2,418 Views)

I had the same problems. I changed the toners and that happened again after some uses of the toner. In this printer the Toner cost is so high, toner leaks out and spreads over the printed pages.

I am having another problem now. The black color is about 1/4" off the other three colors. The price for the printer is okay, the cost for the toners is more than the cost of the printer. On top of that, problem after another problem. As I said before, I am happy with all other HP printers I purchased, not this one.

Does anyone have answer the the black color problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Olli Hirn
Message 11 of 17 (2,549 Views)

I have a similar problem with my 4 months old color laserjet 1600. I have printed about 200-400 hundred pages so far and the quality has been ok, but now I have been starting to get dots of toner on every print (on the printed side). I opened the printer and noticed that the transfer belt had the same pattern of toner dust on it. I wiped it clean once and printed again, but the pattern re-appeared immediately. And it seemed to be mostly magenta colored dust.

I tried the cleaning, but it didn??t work. Is there anything I can do, except change a new cartridge?

I??ll attach a scan of my cleaning page so that you know what were dealing with here.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Андреја Костић
Message 12 of 17 (2,549 Views)

Well, I gave up and returned my printer to the dealer I got it from. Best of luck to you with your problems!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Olli Hirn
Message 13 of 17 (2,549 Views)

I think I´ll do the same, if the´ll have it back. It served me quite well for the first few months, but now it only causes me trouble.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Leonardo Horovitz
Message 14 of 17 (2,549 Views)

I have a LJ 2600 which I've been using for over a year and over 20.000 pages.
It has always produced dust on the belt.
I never found a solution for that, but it never produced a print quality bad enough.
It has produced that dust with factory cartridges, HP cartridges and refilled cartridges. May be the refilled ones spill some more toner than the HP ones. But I guess that's my particular refiller's fault.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Giora Lachmann
Message 15 of 17 (2,549 Views)

Change the xfer belt
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Alfonso Cetina Belmonte
Message 16 of 17 (2,549 Views)

Hello I have the same problem with 2605dn. Do you think changing xfer belt will fix it Giora Lachmann ? Do you know if this xfer belt is an accesorie with a sku and I can buy it or I need to go with a service center?
Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nandini Brown
Message 17 of 17 (2,549 Views)

Hello All,
I have read through many forum posts and from what I gather this is not a fixable problem. We have the clj2600n at work and it just started doing this haze/ghost film on our printouts.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is replacing the transfer belt. Does anyone have specific information on how to do that?
Thank you,
Nandini
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation