Slow PDF Printing... Is there an answer??? (1703 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Hans Dietrich
Message 51 of 65 (10,043 Views)

Re: Slow PDF Printing... Is there an answer???

Hi Macaholic,
I feel your pain. I have just purchased for a user a new HP Laserjet 2055dn and got called back and abused because she could not print PDFs. Yet when she redirected to an "old" 2300 it printed fine. Word documents print immediately. I tested with a PC Windows XP and no trouble at all. The only solution is the one from Adobe, printing the document as an image. The user is now happy. This user is on a new iMac 10.5.6. Also, I did a firmware update on the printer but that changed nothing.
Occasional Visitor
NoNameGiven
Message 52 of 65 (10,043 Views)

All,

I too am bit in the rump by the slow PDF bug. I have been assigned to assist another division with troubleshooting problems with an in house application that does most of it's printing via on the fly PDF conversion within the application.

We have a multi-vendor printing environment, but are 95% HP. I have printers as old as the 4000/8000 series up to the latest generation that I must make function. I also have Savin copier/printers. I can report that the PDF problem is not only a problem with HP, nor Adobe products.

In my case, text based output PDF files print okay, and I have had some success in speeding that output up, which I will share. On the other hand, almost all text based output comes with scanned images that by nature of the web application also get converted into PDF. These are really hurting us.

In my troubleshooting, I have been able to determine a few things that help. As an example, one print job that prints a cover sheet, two pages of text based output, and 5 attached documents was taking approximately 4 minutes to output on our Savin Printers.

The Savin drivers allow for changing "Vector Graphics" to "Raster Graphics" This cut the print time in half.

Unfortunetly, the older PCL5 drivers that even were shipped with 2003 server didn't support these changes with our HP printers.

I started working with the HP Universal Print Drivers at home since these needed options are avaiable. I was able to get quite decent PDF output with the newest 4.7 UPD.

Those of you working with the print queues on your local machines should really look into these drivers if you are having PDF printing problems.

Unfortunetly in our environment, we have a large print server where the custom application spools it's print jobs. Today, I attempted an upgrade to UPD on 2 queues and brought the application down for 15 until I could get the entire driver set removed.

So my question to any of you printing gurus out there. Is there a way I can get the updated drivers of the UPD, without the monitoring functionality they seem to ship with installing in traditional mode?

The helper application HPSUM08X.bin that loads is locking a socket that is needed by the .NET application on the print server. The application has a print spooling service of it's own. If I run the UPD this service cannot load and the application throws an unhandled exception.

Any help is appreciated.

Occasional Visitor
Peter Chastain
Message 53 of 65 (10,043 Views)

Check the 'Paper Type/Quality' setting, and make sure the paper type isn't changing. I've been having this problem (prints fast from Preview, slow from everything else), and just now discovered that the paper type has been changing from 'Plain Paper' to 'HP Premium Plus Photo Paper' in the other apps. I'm going to check on this in the future as I print, and re-save my printing profiles as necessary from each app.

Hope this helps.

-Peter
Occasional Visitor
Horace Mann
Message 54 of 65 (10,043 Views)

I have the same problem, but I do not use adobe acrobat. I use foxit reader for firefox. I have a new quad core intel 8200 processor computer, with 4 gigs of memory, and using 64 bit vista. I have an old laserjet 6p and it takes 1 minute to print 1-2 pages of PDF documents. Very slow. I bought a 16 megabyte memory from memorygiant.com but it did not work. Right now there is 6 megabytes of memory.

I too am extremely frustrated.
Occasional Visitor
Horace Mann
Message 55 of 65 (10,043 Views)

I think I found a solution. Although i'm not sure it will work for MACs. I was wrong, when I opened the PDF file, it opened in another TAB in firefox. In this mode, the print speed was extremely slow.

I tried saving the PDF file to my hardrive, opening foxit reader, and then print from foxit reader. Presto. Instead of priting 1-2 pages a minute, it printed 10 pages in a minute. I had a 50 page PDF file and it took around 4 minutes to print.

I guess opening the PDF within firefox screwed it all up.
Occasional Visitor
tutormichael
Message 56 of 65 (10,043 Views)

I have an HP 1320 and a macbook pro. I ran into the same problem with painfully slow pdf printing. I own a copy of 'Yep' pdf manager so I tried printing through it and 'voila'! instant printing.
Try it, you'll like it.
Michael
Occasional Visitor
Erik Tiemroth
Message 57 of 65 (10,043 Views)

I have the problem, but no solution. I have found that the pdf's print at normal (fast) speed on the same printer when sent by me Windows XP Box. My guess? Mac drivers for the printer. Mine is an HP 3055. Mac is MacBook:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f2
Serial Number (system): W8745AUQZ63
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Occasional Visitor
oldbaldguy
Message 58 of 65 (10,043 Views)

'Printing as image' seems to slow things down a bit. Some print popups have an 'Advanced' button. If the 'Advanced Print Setup' popup has a 'Print as image' checkbox, make sure this is unchecked. Sometimes I have to checkmark this box to force a .pdf to print, but then it slows down subsequent jobs until I remember to uncheck.
Occasional Advisor
Margaret Paddock
Message 59 of 65 (10,043 Views)

I have a LJ5200 dual tray. It continually prints in slow mode and recently fights to print landscape instead of portrait. One tech suggested setting letter tray on LTR R which did help some, but then it reverted to (stupid) when printing again and I had to put it on LTR again. It finally printed correctly, but so slow.
Most help other than that that I get is to plug the printer directly into the wall - this has never helped.
I'm so disgusted. I need this for business and just may buy another - not HP - printer for printing 100 pgs + at a time. I already burnt up two of the lesser printers they reccomended for the job.
Occasional Visitor
starbuck65
Message 60 of 65 (10,043 Views)

I have a new LaserPrinter P2055dn and a 2008 MacBook running Snow Leopard. Printing PDFs from Adobe Acrobat Professional or Adobe Reader ranges from slow to impossible. Then I tried printing from other PDF readers and discovered that the problem is clearly with Adobe's software, not HP's. Try Preview, Skim, or PDFViewer. It's the difference between night and day.
Occasional Visitor
Gregory Bass
Message 61 of 65 (9,838 Views)

agree and concur with starbuck's solution..never use Adobe acrobat to print use Preview instead. I use macbook air and LJ 3330.
Occasional Visitor
Tim Reddick
Message 62 of 65 (9,838 Views)

potential quick fix for mac users... just open the pdf with Preview and then print from there. worked fine for me
Occasional Visitor
John Pitchford
Message 63 of 65 (9,838 Views)

Not just a Mac problem, also with -I suspect related drivers ps interpreter in Linux.
We thought it was just large PDFs but not so. The culprits seem to be Acrobat 6 and possibly Excel 2007. The pdf sheet printing hangs with a printer status code 1001.
We have a work-around, install a second printer driver, a RAW queue. Use this to send problmatic PDFs straight to HP's fine printer. They print fast and fine!
Works with Linux kernel 2.6.28-17, HPLIP 3.9.12, Color Lasejet 2605dn.
I haven't yet figured out what status code 1001 means, or why these particular PDFs generate it. The 'bad' PDFs seem intact and optimized. A sample PDF that hangs with 1001 is attached.
It prints fine with Win XP sp3, so I suspect this is a Mac/Linux PS interpreter issue?
Occasional Visitor
rhysofnewbury
Message 64 of 65 (9,838 Views)

HERE'S THE ANSWER!!!... Well, sort of...

I too have trawled the various forums and tried all of the recommended settings changes etc..

None of them fixed the problem; they only succeded in me swearing louder.

Then I discovered something interesting (well, relatively speaking)... I disabled my internet connection and, hey-presto, instantaneous PDF printing! Halle-bloody-lujah!

So this is a workaround rather than a fix, but perhaps it will point someone more technical in the right direction?
Occasional Visitor
Sam Lowenstein
Message 65 of 65 (9,838 Views)

This was fixed in the latest Firmware update, V20091203. Unfortunately you need a PC to do the update, but it will fix your problem.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.