Service 49 Error (4888 Views)
Frequent Visitor
Lou_B
Message 1 of 16 (4,888 Views)

Service 49 Error

This is baffling to me.

I just received the SECOND Laser Jet Pro m475dw and I'm having the dreaded "49 Service Error" problem.

I returned the first one because of the same problem thinking there was something wrong with the printer.

I'm now guessing there is some network traffic in my home that is causing the printer to constantly reboot and display this error.

But I can't find the problem.

Has anyone run into this before?

I can't leave the printer on because it is constantly rebooting and going thru its initialization process.

I didn't even print anything yet!!! This started as soon as I plugged in the replacement printer!!!

If I unplug the ethernet cable it doesn't happen.

Thanks

Lou ...

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 16 (4,836 Views)

Re: Service 49 Error

Check your printq on all computers to make sure you do not have a document still trying to print. Experience tells me there is a pdf or adobe file trying to print.
Frequent Visitor
Lou_B
Message 3 of 16 (4,831 Views)

Dave

There are no computers with anything in the queue.

As a matter of fact I turned off all computers in the house.

Shut down all network attached storage devices.

And disconnected my Jailbroken Apple TV 1.

I started turning each of them back on one at a time.

The printer didn't start acting up until I launched Boxee on my Apple TV.

Is it possible that there is something in the Boxee software that causes the printer to continually initialize? 

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 16 (4,821 Views)

I have no idea, but this time try turning on the Apple TV first and see if it effects the printer. If it does, then contact Apple.
Frequent Advisor
KostoN86
Message 5 of 16 (4,800 Views)

Disable unwanted protocols within the jetdirect settings on the device.

Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 6 of 16 (4,798 Views)

The thing here are the words Jailbroken and Apple TV, is this printer supported on this product ?

I would have put the printer on a simple hub or swtich connected to a supported OS and tested there, from that point move out.

To a degree your perhaps trying to resolve the other way around, when we get these scenarios we always do the simplest fix and thats to test in a known supported scenario.

As David says we could almost write "PDF" file in a sealed envelope and reveal the matching answer many many weeks later.

I've had network protocol interfere, in fact HP came to site, plugged in a network analyser, drank a quick tea and declated what we suspected, remove the offending device and all was well.

Firmware can help but only so far.

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Visitor
bjogul
Message 7 of 16 (4,771 Views)

Did you solve the problem? If so, what was it? I have the exact same printer, with the exact same problem. Also have a Boxee on the network but... ? Can that really be it?

Have tried firmware update, firmware reinstall etc. To no avail. 

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 16 (4,767 Views)

"Also have a Boxee on the network"

That seems to be the common thread here. I do not know Boxee but since you have the same issue I would think Boxee is the cause and you need to contact those folks.
Visitor
bjogul
Message 9 of 16 (4,760 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hm... Disconnected the Boxee, and for the last hour the Laserjet has been working properly. 

Am really glad to (hopefully) have found the cause of my problems, but now need to figure out how to watch movies instead. Or is there some work-around to make the Boxee and m475dw co-exist? 

And by the way, I'm not really thinking the owner of the problem is boxee. Their machine has been working like a charm ever since I bought it. Even after I bought the HP printer. The Boxee is probably one of the biggest selling media streamers around, alongside the Apple TV, Popcorn hour and some more. And I haven't seen any reports of other printer brands that crack down when hooked on to the same network as the Boxee. Therefore - in my view - the problem lies primarily with HP.

Thanks again though for input so far.

Occasional Visitor
Drew_Grgich
Message 10 of 16 (4,685 Views)

Interesting - - I have a Mac Mini running the Boxee software. The printer worked flawlessly without any problems until I added it to a new Buffalo 802.11ac wireless router. I now have constant initialization on the scanner and 49 Service Errors on occasion. The Boxee is on the same network. I recently turned off sleep mode on the Mac Mini. These things happened all around the same time. I'll turn off the Boxee and see if my issue goes away.

Occasional Visitor
ssingh1234
Message 11 of 16 (4,585 Views)

I have the exact same issue.  I really don't think this is a Boxee issue.  As soon as I connect the printer directly to a computer via the USB cable the 2 can co-exist.

I don't buy that Boxee is the issue.  I've had the boxee for over a year and I just bought this printer.  Something has to be resolved by HP personally.

Occasional Visitor
ssingh1234
Message 12 of 16 (4,583 Views)

Apparently saw this on the boxee forum and I'll test this tonight when I get in to see if it resolves the issue:

(1) Log into the printer's web interface using your web browser and navigating to the printer's IP address,
(2) Select the "Networking" tab on the printer's web page,
(3) Select "Advanced" on the left column,
(4) Remove the check box next to "WS-Discovery"
(5) Click on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page.
Advisor
lshantz1
Message 13 of 16 (4,254 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have discovered that what is actually causing the hp printer to reset over and over every 5 minutes is that the Boxee box is sending out a multicast packet, which is causing the hp printer to lock, which causes a reboot. This is almost certainly a firmware defect. I have 3 other printers on the network, one of them an HP, that do NOT have issues with this. I can cause the printer to reboot on command at will by sending a multicast packet out, and it will reboot instantly.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/M475dn-reboots-every-5-minutes-when-connec...

Occasional Visitor
stevesz
Message 14 of 16 (4,044 Views)

Hi Lou, I'm an idiot for not knowing how to paste a link to another thread because I'm new to this forum but I have posted in another thread about my M276nw with a very similar issue possibly. try searching for:

49 Service Error - Turn Off then On - LaserJet Pro 200 M276nw

or another one with a 251nw same issue.

Mine was solved (so far) by updating my router (DLink dir-825) firmware to the latest. Disabling the 2.4 GHz solved it as well and everytime I enabled 2.4 the printer instantly errored. Disabling wireless on the printer didn't matter whatsoever it would still error if the router enabled 2.4, very starnge. Anyway if this helps great. if not, good luck.

I think there's something with the wireless routers firmware and the printers.

Occasional Visitor
stevesz
Message 15 of 16 (4,043 Views)

Oops I should have also added that my Boxee has been active on my network as well but I haven't even thought of adding it to my matrix of trouble-shooting yet. It's been on a lot through all of this for the last couple of weeks.
Occasional Visitor
Dwhiteley
Message 16 of 16 (3,993 Views)

I have the same 49 Service Error. It occurs wirelessly or via USB. I've disabled wireless, turned my router off -- to no avail.

The printer powers up fine, but the minute a print or copy job is submitted, the error appears . Any help is greatly appreciated!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.