Series 3600 LJ Stuck in "Endless Calibration Cycle" (9425 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Lee Putnam
Message 1 of 16 (9,425 Views)
Accepted Solution

Series 3600 LJ Stuck in "Endless Calibration Cycle"

Series 3600 LJ's are known for getting stuck in "endless calibration cycles".

Goes thru POST OK, sometimes will show READY for 1 second, then endlessly calibrates.

The standard menu on a 3600 does not allow to block "power on" calibrate, and the HP Easy Care S/W is too high level to help. OK, I did my research and used a HP Tech Rep; mine is still defunct after three days effort and $500 of repairs:

- Put in New Temp Sensor;
- DC Controller Firmware is "up to date";
- Put in ALL new HP toners (4) & Belt;
- Pulled out parts, re-installed, and tried Cold Resets (from the HP service manual).

Q: How do I get at service level settings to alter the calibration cycle ? The engine is fine, but its stuck.

I am at wits end here, next step is to break the business lease w/HP finance.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 16 (9,424 Views)

Re: Series 3600 LJ Stuck in "Endless Calibration Cycle"

Generally when it goes into this cycle it is because it is unable to complete calibration usually because one of the color does not lay down on the itb. When it gets into this mode you need to wait about 2 minutes and then open the top cover to stop the printer. Now open the front door and look at the belt. You should have calibration marks in all 4 colors. Black will be there but hard to see. There will be like arrow marks and little boxes. If any color is missing then it is possible that position has an issue. Sometimes if you are lucky when you close the door the printer will attempt to calibrate again or come to ready. Making sure the printer is disconnected from the computer or network just hit the menu key and scroll down to diagnostics and then scroll down to disable cartridge check. You may have to try a couple of times but if you are lucky it will go into diagnostics mode and if it does then you can print the pq troubleshooting pages and see if there is an issue with one of the toners and if there is, swap that toner with another and run the sheets again. If the same toner has an issue it is the toner cartridge and nothing else and if the other color is now gone, then the slot has an issue and you need to make sure the shutters of the toners are opening when you start to close the front cover and if they are then the most likely issue is a high voltage board issue on the left side.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Lee Putnam
Message 3 of 16 (9,424 Views)

Good feedback from the AMDC person. . . I opened the printer during CAL cycle and saw nice heavy laydowns of all four colors. . . with all (4) shudders are opening properly.

While new to printer diagnostics, I cleary could see that the Cyan "laydown" on the film was "off" a fair amount from the other colors.

Raw color transfer is fine, as all supplies are new. Broke into the DIAG menu as directed and printed the PQ sheets, "Cyan Registration" looks off here as well in the sheets as the tic mark lines are fuzzy.

The 3600 CAL cycle IS responding correctly to a color registration problem. Its a good start.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 16 (9,424 Views)

Lee,

If you got into diagnostics menu disable cartridge you can now swap that cyan toner with lets say the magenta toner. Run the same pq troubleshooting pages again and see if the magenta is now off or the cyan is still off. If the magenta is now off, you may want to check the slot the magenta goes into to make sure it is sitting correctly. There have been known issues with the cartridge locks on this model. If the cyan is still off try your old cyan toner and see what happens. Good Luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Steve Johnson_12
Message 5 of 16 (5,633 Views)

I've got a 3600n which HP sent me as a replacement for a DOA LaserJet 26 4+ years ago. It doesn't get a lot of use and the original carts read half full. I noticed that printing in black left the right side of the page faint. I initially tried tapping and shaking the black cart with no visible result. I then found a different post pertaining to that specific issue and tried a couple of suggestions there. The first involved what I think was called the transfer roller which sometimes becomes loose and causes this. I don't know what or where it is, but I opened the top and front and anything that looked like it might be a transfer roller seemed to be securely installed. Another suggestion was to run the full calibration routine twice, which I tried resulting in me landing on this post. The first calibration attempt ran endlessly, and when I powered down and strated up again it goes into calibration and stays there a couple seconds after the ready message appears. Disconnecting the power and network cables.

I loked at the front belt and the squares and arrows seem to be ok on both sides, including black.  Given my experience I'm not really very inclined to drop $150 on a new black cart and have little confidence that doing so would make a difference. I'd really like to get it back to its previous semi-functional state, i.e. color prints ok but lacks black on the right 3" as we seldom use it a a straight black printer.

Any thoughts how I can get this endless calibration to stop? (I also tried disabling cartige checking through the menu, to no effect) 

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 16 (5,622 Views)

Disable cartridge check is tricky One thing you can try is before turning on the printer, put the cyan toner in the black slot and put the black in the cyan slot and when it asks for correct toners, go to the diagnostics menu and choose the item disable cartridge check. If the printer goes to ready diagnostics mode, go to the diagnostics menu and choose the item pq troubleshooting and then look at the solid black page. If it is faded on one side then the black toner cartridge has an issue. If it is ok and the cyan is now faded, then the slot and most likely the laser/scanner lens is dusted over.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Steve Johnson_12
Message 7 of 16 (5,617 Views)

Thanks, David !  Since I posted, my wife turned the printer on and as expected it went into extended calibration mode. But suddenly it reverted to its prior state and now we have 2/3 of a functional printer again. Thats actually attractive at least thru Christmas season. I'm reluctant to power down, make the cartridge switch and power up again because my gut tells me we will go into endless calibration mode again, which will be frustrating and risks spousal wrath.

It seems possible that I could do a hot swap of the carts and follow your steps.  Any thoughts?  I'm going to cogitate a bit before I do anything further.  

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 16 (5,612 Views)

Once the printer is in the ready state if you go to the diagnostics menu you can choose the item disable cartridge check. The printer will work in this state and does not need to be turned off or taken out of this mode. It will print from the computer or network while in this state. Do the test I suggested to see if in fact your issue is the toner cartridge or the black slot. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Steve Johnson_12
Message 9 of 16 (5,603 Views)

Alas, as I feared when I selected disable cartridge check I got a message to wait while it initialized printer, then from there went through the entire startup routine-memory load, check computer etc followed by the ink level/ready screeen followed by calibration mode for 18 minutes.  I'm going to try to get an inkjet fired up for color printing in the short run before proceeding further. It sounds that at this point, while its in ready mode, that I can hot swap the black and cyan carts and do the pq diagnostics to see if the black cart is at fault. Hopefully that won't trigger another calibration orgy. Thanks for your patience and help!  Steve

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 10 of 16 (5,595 Views)

You did something wrong. I work on these all the time and enter diagnostics mode, disable cartridge check all the time from the ready screen and it does restart just goes to ready, disable cartridge mode. When you exit the ready, disable mode the printer will restart so perhaps you were already in the mode.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 11 of 16 (5,594 Views)

Actually the correct message is Ready, diagnostics mode. It you get into the loop, open the front door and see if you can scroll thru the menus to enter the disable cartridge check. You may have to try more than once, but I know I have gotten into it, even if not in the Ready mode.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Steve Johnson_12
Message 12 of 16 (5,537 Views)

If I'm doing something wrong, I can't imagine what it is. From the ready state, when I select Menu->Diagnotics->Disable Cartridge Check I press the green check mark. This immediately triggers "Checking Printer" which leads to calibration and eventually Ready. If I swap the cartidges, it initializes as soon as the second cartidge is inerted, followed by "Checking Printer" and then "Incorrect Supplies".

I have tried to disable cartridge check and run a pq print 6 or 8 times. I have yet to see any evidence that cartidge check has been disbaled. If it has, i appears to be re-enabled when cartridges are removed and replaced. Every time I swap cartidges it triggers a Checking Printer routine and the cartridge check is clearly part of that routine. I even tried starting up with the cartridges in their regular position, opened the front cover after the Genuine Supplies message appeared and then ordered a pq print after swapping . This caused the Data light to go yellow, but also triggered the blinking attention light. When the front cover was closed, it went into Checking Printer mode. It truly appears to me that the disable cartridge check, if it sctually exists, is a switch. If so, I would expect an "Enable Cartridge Check" option to appear in the diagnostics menu if it actually was operative. I've looked at that menu at least 20 times in the past week and I've never seen such an option.

Realistically, I can't justify the time or effort to ascertain whether this is a cartridge or a slot problem given my situation. There is no way I'm going to pay for a new black cartridge just to see if my existing black cartridge is defective or not. I am toying with buying a genuine fully functional used black cart on eBay for not a lot of money which should enable me to test whether my existing cartridge is actually ok.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 13 of 16 (5,530 Views)

I have no idea what is happening since I have done this hundreds of times on this series. One other thing you can try as I do remember seeing it but not sure on your model.

1. Turn the printer off and then on.
2. When the printer begins its initialization sequence, press and hold the down arrow until all LEDs are lit.
3. Press up arrow one time, and then press Menu.
4. Press down arrow until Skip Calibration appears, and then press check mark.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Steve Johnson_12
Message 14 of 16 (5,451 Views)

My existing black cartridge was defective. I was fortunate to find a bona fide used black cartridge on eBay for not very much $. I put it in and everything works perfectly.

Before that, I tried the startup sequence interrupt procedure, with the existing cartidges in their correct position and with black and cyan switched. In the former I did not see a skip calibration selection and it ultimately went into the lengthy calibration cycle. When the carts were switched, I never saw any menu selections and the machine posted an "incorrect supplies" message as soon as the down arrow was pressed while all 3 lights were on. 

I absolutely believe you when you say you've encountered different outcomes than I have experienced, and can only speculate that it may have something to do with something like a rom chip. Now that I have a working black cartridge to test with, I am nearly certain that it is not possible  to disable cartridge check with my printer despite the presence of that choice in the menu.

Thanks for your help and effort. Hopefully our dialogue will be of some assistance down the road. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rod_48
Message 15 of 16 (4,942 Views)

I had the same issue with my printer. We had another 3600 do this just weeks before and now this (used) replacement is doing the exact same thing!

I followed these steps to disable the cartridge check and it's printing fine now. What should my next step be? Could it be a network issue that 3 these 3600's keep having a calibration problem?

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 16 of 16 (4,924 Views)

This issue could be the machine not reading the calibration marks correctly during the calibration cycle. If that happens the printer will never come to ready. It will not be a network issue. Usually the issue is one bad toner cartridge. In the same diagnostics menu choose the item pq troubleshooting and take a good look at each solid fill page. Odds are one of the colors will have some major defect and if so that cartridge needs to be replaced.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation