Reset HP2430n to factory defaults (5581 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Craig Parrish
Message 1 of 7 (5,581 Views)

Reset HP2430n to factory defaults

Is there a combo of buttons to push when powering up that will reset the printer to factory defaults? I have no manual for this and it's discontinued by HP.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (5,581 Views)

Re: Reset HP2430n to factory defaults

Yes. Turn the printer off. Now press and hold the green check mark button while powering on the printer and continue to hold until all 3 lights come on solid. Release and then scroll down in the menu to cold reset and hit the green check mark button.
Occasional Visitor
Dan Cinelli_2
Message 3 of 7 (4,946 Views)

Actually, that not exactly right. THIS is the correct procedure. I tested it on a 2430:

1. Turn the printer off.

2. Turn the printer on. WHEN THE PRINTER BEGINS ITS MEMORY COUNT, press and hold down the select button until all three printer control-panel lights flash once and then remain on. This might take up to 10 seconds.

3. After the message SELECT LANGUAGE appears on the display, press the Up Arrow button or the Down Arrow button until COLD RESET is highlighted.

4. Press the Select button. The printer performs a cold reset and then continues its power-on sequence.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 7 (4,938 Views)

Beg to differ with you. I have done it many times holding the check mark button when powering on and it works. The P3005 which followed this model required waiting for the memory to start to count. Below is also from the service manual for the 2400 series.

Printer resets and power-on modes
The following sections describe the types of printer resets and power-on modes.
Cold reset
A cold reset unlocks menus that have been previously locked and sets all control panel
menu items (including EIO settings) back to the factory defaults. However, it does not clear
the values in the service menu (such as the serial number and page counts).
NOTE Before performing a cold reset, print a menu map and a configuration page (see Menu map
and Configuration page). Use the information on the configuration page to reset any
customer-set printer configuration values that the cold reset procedure changes.
To perform a cold reset
1. Turn the printer off.
2. Hold down the SELECT ( ) button, and then turn the printer on. Continue holding down
the SELECT ( ) button until all three printer control-panel lights flash once and then
remain on. This might take up to 10 seconds.
3. After the message SELECT LANGUAGE appears on the display, press the
UP ARROW ( ) button or the DOWN ARROW ( ) button until COLD RESET is highlighted.
4. Press the SELECT ( ) button. The printer performs a cold reset and then continues its
power-on sequence.
5. Check all I/O settings and reset any customer-set printer configuration values.
ENWW Printer resets and power-on modes 163
Occasional Visitor
Dan Cinelli_2
Message 5 of 7 (4,932 Views)

And I don't mean to sound argumentative, BUT I followed your instructions TO THE LETTER on a 2430 DTN several times yesterday and again just now and it ONLY works by pressing the check mark button AFTER the unit is powered on. If you like, I can send you a video of both procedures on the same printer. I don't know if there is a difference between a 2430N and a 2430DTN but my printer only resets by the instructions I posted.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Occasional Visitor
zekerdog
Message 6 of 7 (4,726 Views)

I have a 2430TN, and mine will only reset after I power on, and hit the SELECT button during the memory count down.  It doesn't reset  if I hold the SELECT button down and then power on.

Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 7 of 7 (4,720 Views)

The cold reset sequence might depend on the firmware you have installed.

Certainly, the service manual gives it the way suggested by David  - see attached pdf page taken from the HP LaserJet 2400 series service manual (2004).

But the following support documents:-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00280194&prodT...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00279151&prodT...

gives it the other way.  Lets call it a draw!

Best regards

Ken

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.