Problem with Laserjet 2200dn (329 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Richard Rosenzweig
Message 1 of 17 (329 Views)

Problem with Laserjet 2200dn

Hi

I have a HP laserjet 2200 printer. When I tried to print to it, the printer sounds like it will print the document but after a few seconds the red LED light comes on and then the motor stops. This happens from tray 1 & 2 and I can't print a configuration page. I then purchased and installed the HP Laserjet 2200 Deluxe Feed Roller Kit but it didn't make a difference, the paper is still not leaving tray 1 or 2.

Any help is appreciated
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 17 (329 Views)

Re: Problem with Laserjet 2200dn

if not leaving either tray.it may be something locking up the main gear drive.possibly the cartridge.if you take it out and close the cover,do the motors turn?or do you have another cartridge to try?
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 17 (329 Views)

If you take off the right side cover towards the rear in the middle is a small hole with a black button in it. That is the engine test button. Make sure you have paper in the tray 2 and press the button and see if you get a page with lines. If you do it means the formatter has issues. If no page prints then with the power off remove the 2 connectors going to the formatter, turn on the printer again and press that button for an engine test. If still no page then the probable cause is a bad main board.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 17 (329 Views)

Actually the error if the light stays on solid and is not blinking indicates a memory overflow condition. Now if the printer is not connected to the computer and you press the button for a config page and that light comes on I would think the formatter is fried. All that said try the suggestions above to narrow down if the formatter or engine control unit.
Occasional Advisor
Richard Rosenzweig
Message 5 of 17 (329 Views)

rasmat - The motors turn when remove the toner cartridge and when I put a new cartridge in the problem still exists.

DavidZuts -
1)I pressed the engine test button
it didn't print. I then removed the two connectors going to the formatter and turned the printer on and pressed the engine test button, it sounds like it's going to print but after about ten seconds the motor stops and no it didn't print.

2) I tried to print a config page but the same thing happens but the red light is blinking not solid.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 17 (329 Views)

This is a wierd one but lets try one more thing. Put a sheet of paper on the manual feeder and at the same time remove the tray 2 cassette so it is not in the printer. Make sure the green horseshoe light is on and then press the button for a self test again and observe the pickup roller to see if you see any movement at all. When you say it sounds like it is going to print I assume you hear the laser/scanner motor starting to spin but no rollers in the output bin on top are turning or are they?
Occasional Advisor
Richard Rosenzweig
Message 7 of 17 (329 Views)

The rollers on top are moving. You can't pull paper tray two out, even with paper in tray one, the red light comes on and the printer stops.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 17 (329 Views)

What do you mean you can not pull tray 2 out? What I am after is making sure that with tray 2 not installed and you put paper on tray 1 that it comes to ready with the green horseshoe light. Your issue is so wierd that I am thinking that maybe you have 2 issues and this is the only way I can tell. So please report back with tray 2 removed and paper on tray 1 with what I told you to do.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 9 of 17 (329 Views)

What do you mean you can not pull tray 2 out? What I am after is making sure that with tray 2 not installed and you put paper on tray 1 that it comes to ready with the green horseshoe light. Your issue is so wierd that I am thinking that maybe you have 2 issues and this is the only way I can tell. So please report back with tray 2 removed and paper on tray 1 with what I told you to do. You do realize that tray 1 is the manual fold down tray and tray 2 is the paper cassette.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 10 of 17 (329 Views)

on this machine,i believe that it should come to ready if either one of the paper present sensors are tripped.but usually if there is a problem with the one and no paper is in the other;then an error light would be on to start with and you would'nt even be able to start a print originally.it almost looks like an engine controller board issue here,under the circumstances.
Occasional Advisor
Richard Rosenzweig
Message 11 of 17 (325 Views)

I was able to remove tray two with paper in tray 1. I tried to print a config page using tray 1 but the same problem occurs. The laser\scanner motor starts to spin, the rollers at the back of the output tray spin but the paper doesn't feed into the printer at tray 1 and then the right light (blinking) comes on.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 12 of 17 (325 Views)

This is difficult since you obviously have an issue with what are called the pickup selenoids for both trays or an issue which I have never seen where part of the main gear assembly is working and the other half is not. To check the main gear issue just lift up the priter at an angle so you can see the bottom right side and there will be a white gear which is recessed a bit which is used to drive an addtional feeder if you had one. When you start the printer or send a print job that gear should turn along with the exit rollers in the back of the printer. If it does then the issue is the controller of the selenoid and here is where it may get a little difficult since in the over probably 300-400 of these I have worked on over the years I have never had to trace the wiring of those selenoids. On the 2100 they attached to the main board on the bottom which is a combination power supply and engine control unit. On the 2200 the bottom board is only power supply unit and the engine control board is located on the right side, however, some sensors and other items are plugged into the power supply board which in turn feeds them to the engine control board. It would appear to me at the very least that you may need to replace the engine control board first to see if the issue is resloved. Of course if that gear I mention above does not turn when the exit rollers do, then the main gear assembly has an issue. I do not know if I supplied this in an earlier post so below is a link to where you can download the service manual at no charge.

http://www.feedroller.com/Store/hp_manuals.php

If mechanically inclined you can remove the main gear assembly and when you do, then turn the motor by hand to see if all the gears turn as the pickup gear for both trays actually turns all the time and it is the selenoid which prevents the actual shaft from moving until the selenoid is energized and releases the shaft to turn.
Occasional Advisor
Richard Rosenzweig
Message 13 of 17 (325 Views)

The white gear on the bottom right side turned when the printer was turned on. I am going to remove the main gear assembly and turn the motor by hand to see if all the gears turn.

I will report my results.
Occasional Advisor
Richard Rosenzweig
Message 14 of 17 (325 Views)

I removed the main gear assembly and manually turned the motor and all the gears turned.
What do you think my next step should be?
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 15 of 17 (325 Views)

unless both solenoids are bad at the same time.probably the engine controller board like was mentioned previously.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 16 of 17 (325 Views)

As I said before it is difficult because both selenoids are not firing. If just one it is easy since it is probably the one selenoid which is bad. When both do not fire it has to be the dc controller or the main board. On your model the dc controller is the small board on the right side where the motor cable plugs in. The selenoids from both trays plug into the main power supply board at the bottom but I do not have a wiring diagram for this model so I do not know if it is just a pass thru to the dc controller. On most hp printers the dc controller is what fires the selenoid and since you say both are not firing I would first replace the dc controller. Just so you know you can pickup this model on ebay for a fairly cheap price and most of them if they do not work are due to faulty fusers or laser/scanners. I would just get the cheapest one I can off ebay and use parts from either to get the other working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard-LaserJet-2200-Printer_W0QQitemZ260296923970QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i...
Occasional Visitor
Chris Sun
Message 17 of 17 (325 Views)

Try to check this:
Remove Tray 2
Put your hand in and try to lever up the black top panel gentally.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.