Printing too light, how to make darker (1507 Views)
Occasional Contributor
James S. Lawrence
Message 1 of 3 (1,507 Views)

Printing too light, how to make darker

I just got the HP LaserJet P2015dn. It prints too light, much lighter than my old printer, LaserJet 1320n. How do I get it to print darker?

I have a Mac, OS X 10.4.11. I have used the toolbox, but it does not change the darkness. I go to the print quality page, and set the print density to the darkest setting, 5, but the output is the same as the lightest setting. I have Economode off. I do not know what Monochrome RET is, but I have tried it both ways. I have tried every setting on the Print Quality page in the toolbox, and have pressed Apply, but there is no visible change in the output. I have also gone to the Printing page in the toolbox and selected dark for Courier Font (a font I usually do not use). Still no change. I have also chosen every option in my Print command from my computer (in Microsoft word) and there is no visible change.

It looks like I have tried everything, but maybe there is something I have not thought of. Am I stuck with light print forever, or is there something that can be done to make this printer work as well as the old one used to?
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 2 of 3 (1,507 Views)

Re: Printing too light, how to make darker

How about the Demo page from the printer itself by pressing the front button? If you press both buttons simultaneously, it should print the configuration page out from the printer. Are all these pages light as well?

D.
Occasional Contributor
James S. Lawrence
Message 3 of 3 (1,507 Views)

Re: Printing too light, how to make darker

By pressing the two buttons, I got a single page printout (demo page?) which at first glance looks like the proper darkness, not too light. It is hard to tell because it is using different fonts and sizes than I use. By pressing the one button, I got a 3 page printout (first page labeled as Self Test / Configuration) that to me looks too light (lighter than the demo page), but once again it is hard to tell because it is using a small font unlike the fonts I use for my documents.

The fonts that have printed too light from Microsoft Word are Times 12 and 14, Times New Roman 12 and 14, New Century Schoolbook 12, and Latin 12 and 14. These all printed fine from my old LaserJet 1320n. I am also printing too light when I print pages from the web browser Safari, though I cannot be certain which fonts they are.

Any suggested solutions will be tried. I hope someone sends me one. Thank you.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.