Printing to HP LaserJet 2100TN from Windows XP on Mac Airport Network (504 Views)
Occasional Contributor
CA1343803
Message 1 of 7 (504 Views)

Printing to HP LaserJet 2100TN from Windows XP on Mac Airport Network

Cannot get HP2100 TN LaserJet printer to show up on Windows XP laptop connected to a Macintosh Snow Airport network. Printer is connected via ethernet to the airport basestation(with a Netgear switch in between).

The Macs on the network print just great...but the 2100 will not show up in the add printer dialog box in XP....
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (504 Views)

Re: Printing to HP LaserJet 2100TN from Windows XP on Mac Airport Network

It may be as simple as you having to manually put in the ip address when you load the driver. It will not show up as a network printer. What you need to do if you do not know the tcp/ip address of the printer is to press both buttons at the same time to print a configuration page on the printer. This will give you a second page with the network settings. Now in xp go to add printer and choose local printer and uncheck the autodetect. Now go to next and at the bottom of the page choose create port and scroll down to tcp/ip and double click. Now on the next page you enter the tcp/ip address of the printer and hit next and at the maker page scroll to hp and then scroll down on the right to laserjet 2100 and then finish up the install and you should be good to go.
Occasional Visitor
Becky Josker
Message 3 of 7 (504 Views)

I have the same printer that had been networked for 25 Mac's and I now want to network it for PC's, but I can't seem to get it to show on the network. Also can't find the IP address on the info print out.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 7 (504 Views)

I am not a MAC person so I donot know how the printer is seen by the MAC system. If by the mac address of the card or some other method other than tcp/ip, then you may have an issue but it still can be done. The network card on the printer should be a 610N or similar. Just go to the hp site and under software and drivers type in the model of the network card on the printer and then download the simple printing and managment software for the card. Run it on the pc and it should find the printer and set it up for you under a windows enviornment.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 5 of 7 (504 Views)

As David suggested, press and hodl both buttons on the printer to print a configuration pages out. You will see teh IP info on the second page. Then follow the procedure on the attached Doc to add the printer to your Windows PC's.

D.
Valued Contributor
Lori Crum
Message 6 of 7 (504 Views)

One major step missing: you have to enable "Print Services for Unix" in XP.

"Configuring a Network Printer for Windows XP"

Set up the default printer by performing the following steps.
1. Verify that the Print Services for Unix is installed (required for LPR port availability):

a. XP: Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communication, and open the Network Connections folder.

b. Click the Advanced menu and select Optional Networking Components.

c. Select and enable Other Network File and Print Services.

d. Click Details, and verify that Print Services for Unix is enabled. If not, enable it.

e. Click Okay, and then Next.

Valued Contributor
Lori Crum
Message 7 of 7 (504 Views)

Then, the following (LPR protocol) worked better for me to get the XP computer to print on the Mac network:

2. XP: Open the Printers and Faxes folder (from the Desktop, click Start, Printers and Faxes).

3. Double-click Add Printer. From the Add Printer Wizard welcome screen, click Next.

4. Select Local printer, and disable automatic detection for Plug and Play printer installation. Click Next.

5. Choose Create a new port, and select LPR Port. Click Next.

6. In the Add LPR compatible printer window:

Enter the DNS name or IP address of the HP Jetdirect print server.

Enter (in lower case) raw, text, or auto for the name of the printer or print queue on the HP Jetdirect print server. (I used "auto" here)

Then click OK.

7. Select the Manufacturer and Printer model. (If necessary, click Have Disk and follow the instructions to install the printer driver.) Click Next.

8. Choose to keep the existing driver, if prompted. Click Next.

9. Enter a printer name, and choose whether this printer will be the default printer. Click Next.

10. Choose whether this printer will be available to other computers (via this PC). If shared, enter a share name that identifies the printer to other users. Click Next.
(If you choose to share via the PC, the PC would have to remain on for you to connect from your other computers, so I did not choose to share via the PC which is OK for a small network.)

11. If desired, enter a location and other information for this printer. Click Next.

12. Choose whether to print a test page, and click Next.

13 Click Finish to close the wizard.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.