Re: Printer Status "error - printing" print delays with hp printers windows 2008/windows 7 (280 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Declan
Message 1 of 3 (557 Views)

Printer Status "error - printing" print delays with hp printers windows 2008/windows 7

i am currently experiencing a most unpleasant issue in our environment where clients printing to hp printers are randomly getting print delays, the job will spool get sent to the printer then sit in the print queue doing nothing for a while, then give the printer Status "error - printing" msg for a while, then eventually after anywhere from 5-20 minutes it will print out.

all clients are using windows 7 professional, and all printers are on a 32bit windows 2008 print server.

the print server has canon and xerox photocopiers aswell (about 200 printers all up) but this issue only happens when printing to HP printers.

i am seeing this with

hp 4015 3015 3005 4650 4700 4250 4350 cp4525

i have monitored the resources on the server and it is having no issues coping with the load, it is a vm but there is plenty of resources for it.

i have tried using the universal drivers even up to version 5.4

and also tried using the corresponding pcl6 32bit drivers for individual printers

the size of the document being printed does not seem to matter it can happen printing a test page even sometimes.

i can not find anything in the eventlogs on the server or on client machines correlating to when this happens.

and i can sit there and print 10 different documents to a printer and not have it happen once, then have it happen for the next 3 documents then not happen again for another day, its extremely sporadic.

i have tried every different driver configuration you could imagine messed with print processors etc and still it is happening, with over 400 clients it has become a very big issue and between all the error adding printer at 0x00xxx issues that we had to deal with and the spooler crashes that have been plaguing us for years we are considering scrapping hp printers altogether.

how can i work out what is causing this error printing status?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
coptechs
Message 2 of 3 (280 Views)

Re: Printer Status "error - printing" print delays with hp printers windows 2008/windows 7

Did you ever find the cause/resolve this? I have a M451dn (Pro 400) and recently started having to wait about 20 seconds between pages too.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 3 (271 Views)

Re: Printer Status "error - printing" print delays with hp printers windows 2008/windows 7

Try using the pcl5 or postscript driver. PCL6 has a lot of overhead.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation