Printer M601n and Envelope Feeder (7707 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Royalruler
Message 1 of 21 (7,707 Views)

Printer M601n and Envelope Feeder

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to control the printer from the Computer, When I print envelopes I don't want to have to get up and go to the printger and push OK several times.

I am using the PCL6 universal Driver.

Frequent Advisor
KubaL
Message 2 of 21 (7,681 Views)

Re: Printer M601n and Envelope Feeder

[ Edited ]

I'd like to know that too...

We have recently upgraded older HP Laserjet with new Enterprise LaserJet M601 & envelope feeder for it and users are complaining on the same problem!

they have to get up and come to printer to press OK buttons every time they want to print envelopes.

for the life of me I cannot make it automatically print envelopes, because the printer by default is looking for paper (of envelope size) in Tray 1 instead of taking it from a (properly configured for size & type of envelopes) envelope feeder.

By the way, isn't the Tray 1 physically gone once the envelope feeder occupies the slot? why the printer is expecting anything in Tray 1 while envelope feeder is connected?

is there any software/firmware update to fix this? VERY ANNOYING.

EDIT:

apparently there IS some newer firmware for this printer ...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5036601&...

our printer currently uses factory firmware revision 2131029_191795 (datecode 20111118).

the new one from HP support is revision 2131305_192069 (datecode 20111217).

... hmmm giving it a try soon :)

Frequent Advisor
KubaL
Message 3 of 21 (7,677 Views)

[ Edited ]

no luck with latest firmware, same problem.

everytime the envelope print job is sent to printer (using automatical tray select based on job size) the printer asks to Load Tray1 with Plain, EnvC5 instead of pulling the envelope from feeder. Envelope Feeder is the only one configured for having C5 envelopes, why does this dumb printer expect me to load Plain EnvC5 into a Tray 1???? (I even tried setting it like that too, no luck either, it still asks for it).

at this point I'm at loss here, this is current setup we use, and I think I explored all possible options and combinations by now. Unless I'm mising something here.

Tray1: Letter Plain (tried Automatic and Envelope too)
Tray2: Letter Plain
Envelope Feeder: Envelope C5, Envelope

Use requested tray: First
Manually Feed Promopt: Unless loaded
Size/Type Prompt: Do not display
Use another tray: Enabled

HP Pro
AMJ21
Message 4 of 21 (7,587 Views)

Have you tried to specify in the driver the (envelope) tray instead of automatically selected? Also, if you can specify the paper size and type. Have you tried to set "Use requested tray = Exclusively" ?
I work for HP
Visitor
Brian55
Message 5 of 21 (7,570 Views)

I too am experiencing this problem with a new M601n.  I have set the printer preference to Envelope Feeder instead of auto select. I have also set this as the option in the envelope wizard in MS Word. I have also specified in the printer itself to always use the requested tray. I have to say this is my second M601n (first with envelope feeder). There also seems to be a strange setting to use a shelf edge label as the default paper type on some PCs I have installed it on. We are using Win XP SP3 and the drivers were downloaded from HP so they should be the latest.

Visitor
Brian55
Message 6 of 21 (7,553 Views)

I have tried 2 different things now and they seem to work. First I went back to the HP Laserjet 4200 drivers and they printed envelopes with out the prompt. Next I tried the HP Universal Print Drivers PCL6 for XP and they too worked. It would seem to me that there is a bug in the regular HP 600 series drivers.
Occasional Visitor
JC59
Message 7 of 21 (7,523 Views)

I installed the driver on a XP SP3 PC and had the same problems as everyone else.  I tried the universal driver and HP 601 software with driver.  In addition, I worked with HP on the phone going over the same thing each time we worked together.  Then I tried installing the driver on a Windows 7 PC and it worked great didn't have to get up and push the OK button anymore. 

Visitor
MJake
Message 8 of 21 (7,505 Views)

I'm not sure what you did, but I have a brand new HP Windows 7 computer and brand new M601 with envelope feeder and I have tried the driver on the disk as well as downloading the PS 5.4 driver.  No luck - still pushing buttons on printer to print envelopes one at a time.  

Unfortunately, I don't know how to remove these drivers and start over with some other fix.  Which driver should I download?  And should I not worry about what the printer drivers I have already downloaded?

Visitor
MJake
Message 9 of 21 (7,497 Views)

I figured out a workaround, but it is still a pain in the ass, and not what HP printers are supposed to do (I know because I use HP printers with envelope feeders at my law office every day).

I re-installed the M601 PCL6 drivers from the advance tab of printer properties.  I then went to Printer Properties, Device Settings and made sure the Envelope Feeder was marked Installed.   I then created a printer shortcut from the Printer Preferences screen for the M601 by picking "Envelope #10 as the Paper Size, Envelope Feeder as the Paper Source, and Envelope as the Paper type.  I then did a Save As and called it Envelopes.  

I then created separate merge files in Word with the letter in one and the envelope in the other file.  Both files point to the same database fields in Excel for merging the letter and envelope fields.  I then can do separate merges of the letters and envelopes.  

When I go to print the Envelopes, just before printing in the print screen, I change the properties to the Envelopes shortcut I set up above which then picks the envelope feeder.

All works except for one problem that was noted on one of these messages before:  The envelopes print exceedingly slow, but the do print, probably at 6 or so a minute.  

This "work around" has cost me numerous wasted hours trying to fix, and useless time with HP "support" which I found non-existent.  

Remember, I've already tried the Universal PS driver, the HP 4200 driver, and all other "tips" in this posting. Nothing will automatically send envelopes to the envelope feeder as part of a document with a letter and an envelope, as the prior HP printers do.  It took me to concoct this wierd workaround to force the printer to print multiple envelopes without printer button intervention.

I'm sure HP doesn't monitor this discussion board.  If they do, they'd at least post something like they're working on fixing the envelope feeder bug in their printer driver for the M601 and get it working like the printers that this 600 series replaces.    

More than enough said.

Occasional Visitor
rbornt
Message 10 of 21 (7,474 Views)

I too am having this same issue. This printer was replacing an HP 400TN. We have the new printer connected to a Windows 2003 server running print services. I've tried setting all the defaults on the server preferences and made sure that the feeder is "installed". I have several users that are ticked off because they have to get up to push the stupid button just to get an envelope to print. They have some Access DB reports and Word documents that have both the envelope and letter formatted and would just print it to the old one print. They would get just what they wanted.. A printed envelope and their document. I also updated the firmware without any difference in operation of the machine. I might just attempt to either test a direct tcpip connection or downgrade the drivers or both before having a melt down.

Occasional Visitor
Royalruler
Message 11 of 21 (7,421 Views)

I think I have tried every combination avilable for the Envelope feeder, except USB, I am about to un install the Universal driver and start over, and set it up using USB.  I have tried re installing the driver a couple of time.

Occasional Visitor
Royalruler
Message 12 of 21 (7,415 Views)

OK I have Win 7, universal Driver, HP 601, Net work connection and it does not work. What are some of our other settings.
Occasional Visitor
ja3hawk
Message 13 of 21 (7,372 Views)

We have 1 of these m601 printers on our network. When originally installed it, we left the old p4015n drivers in place and we didnt have this specific issue. However, we had issues with things printing slowly every once in a while, with the old drivers. So I grabbed the actual m601 pcl drivers and this **bleep** things asks for a tray everytime you send an envelope. I've gone into printing defaults on the server and made sure the envelope feeder shows as installed and that it is deignated for #10 envelopes.... I'm thinking about reverting back to the p4015 drivers except I know each user will have to delete it from there system and reinstall the printer to get the old driver. Even then I don't know if this will work becuase thier local computers may still use the m601 pcl driver. Is there an actual fix for this? I'm so tired of screwing around with HP's printers. Our Canon copiers are flawless compared to these **bleep** things.

Occasional Visitor
cfrank
Message 14 of 21 (7,336 Views)

Same issue here, have had the printer for a few months now and wanting this issue resolved. When it gets resolved, will replace most of my company's printers with this model. Until then, thinking of switching to another model. (brand if need be)

Occasional Visitor
rocking23nf
Message 15 of 21 (7,242 Views)

We are demoing this unit and having the same exact problem, what a pain in the butt.

Im guessing a future firmware update will fix this, but how can they expect me to order 30 of these if this problem is happening.

We are a lawfirm and printing millions of pages a year.

Occasional Visitor
cfrank
Message 16 of 21 (7,093 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey Guys,

After talking with HP for about an hour, and following the trouble shooting steps, it does seem like they get many calls like this. I will share what the fix was for our company, hopefully it helps you guys out.

Step 1. Go to the hp site, search for your model (mine is laserjet m603dn)

Step 2. Select the version of OS you have

Step 3. Download 2 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript

Step 4. Install the print driver by double clicking the exe to install. (For our network printer, I had to add it as a local printer > create port > tcpip > ipaddress here

Step 5. Once the installation is complete. Set it as the default (for now to test).

Step 6. Open up word, and go to the mailings tab (I have office 2010) then select envelopes.

Step 7. This is the window you should be looking at.

Step 8. Click the "Options..." button on the lower part of the window.

Step 9. On the next screen, click "Printing Options tab"

Step 10: Change the drop down to be Feed from "Automatically select" to "Envelope Feeder". (The printer will not print envelopes if you do not change this last step! You should only have to change this last step once, then it will remember for next time.)

Step 11: Print and enjoy!

They mentioned that they will be getting rid of the envelope types, and that from now on, their printers will have only type "Envelope". This is their "New way" of doing things they said. They also said that this does not work with PCL drivers yet. They did not have a resolution time.

Collector
bjvidra
Message 17 of 21 (7,013 Views)

The Envelope Feeder's only "Paper Type" setting is = ENVELOPE.  We had to edit our PCL codes we use for our Unix-based application to specify the paper type or we'd get the same printer error.  I'm sure this is related to the Windows printing errors as well.  The Windows 7 UPD  PCL6 ver 5.5.0 drive does have the option (buried deep in the 'other' paper-type settings) to select "Envelope" type for that tray.   This may help.

FYI, the PCL code we use to individually specify the orientation, paper-size, paper-type, and allow the printer to "auto-select" the Env.Feeder looks like this ($1b is the ESC sequence):

$1b &l1O $1b &l81A $1b &n9WdEnvelope $1b &l7H

Regular Visitor
ahoien
Message 18 of 21 (6,583 Views)

Same problem here with our envelope feeder.  Using M601dn PCL6 driver that shipped with the printer on some systems and HP UPD PCL6 on others.Have to press OK to print envelope on all systems. 

Has anybody tried the latest firmware (2200643_22834123 Jun 2012)?  We can use PS driver if we have to to print envelopes smoothly but would rather stick with PCL6.

Frequent Advisor
KubaL
Message 19 of 21 (5,415 Views)

I have tried all firmware updates for M601 with envelope feeder and nothing works for us. our company needs printing C5 Envelopes from our ERP software, it's not possible at all with PCL6 driver (latest, used to work somehwat on older PCL6) and the latest PS driver requires trotting to printer and hitting OK button several times.

It's a joke that M600 series is considered a commercial product, it's not worth a broken dime. If HP assumes that all envelope printing is done by user from MS Word application then the designers must be retarded. It's even worse that HP assumed a user would have time to switch between preset profiles to print this or that, every time going to properties and selecting a correct profile (and altering it every time to its needs as changes are not saved). bad design, poor engineering, terrible programming, high price, ... no customers.

Our company will be going with Canon office laser printers in future, HP dropped the ball and failed to recover in over 1 year time, go home now HP, you suck.

Occasional Visitor
gcdd20
Message 20 of 21 (4,288 Views)

I had a similar issue today on a 600. The application though is WordPerfect X4 on Windows XP. The printer is installed on the server. They  have and Env Feeder installed, green paper in Tray 1, Leterhead in Tray 2, and Plain in Tray 3.

Here is what I did:

1. Called HP.They said to not use tray 1 for paper feed but to remove paper from tray 1 when you want to print envelopes. This was not acceptable as the customers 4510 handled this with no problem.
  2.  Ensure the driver you are using has the proper tray selections, paper type, and the proper size selected. I have the latest firmware and latest PCL 6 diver installed both on the server and on the workstation. All the options were not available on the XP machine until I loaded the driver locally.
  3. Select the advanced Tab in the driver and create Shortcuts for each paper you need to print from, For Envelope name a shortcut for Envelope and make certain it selects the envelope feeder as the source. Do the same for the other size or type you need for each tray.
  4.  Then go to your App,in this case WordPerfect,and go to Page Setup. Add a Page definition for each tray, size and type, matching your settings in the driver.
  5.  Make sure the printer is selected in the App
  6. Open a TEST   document with an Address,  highlight the address and test print  via the envelope printing  option.
  7. If you want to test to see if it will choose the Env Feeder in Page Setup select envelope as your paper type then  go to file print properties and see what paper and tray is being selected. Name the selections something matching your desired criteria so you can later Identify it from the list on definitions. Mine were named Color, Leterhead, Letter, and  Envelope #10,
  8. Note:  the tray s  on the device  are set to Env -  Any Size  Any Type, Tray 1 Any Size  -Color, Tray 2 letter  - Letterhead, Tray 3 Letter  - Plain
  9. Once you have gotten past the Env Settings and print successfully try printing from tray 1. Open a TEST Doc,Go to page setup select the definition you created for that tray, mine was Color, then go to file, print, select the properties for the printer and make sure the desired output is selected in the Shortcut  and Paper settings in the driver options for that job. If they are, print to test. If they are not select the Shortcut you previously created.

That is how I resolved my issue on the this device. 

I tried to abbreviate this as much as possible. Feel free to ask me any quesions.

Occasional Visitor
mocman121
Message 21 of 21 (3,193 Views)

Hey guys. i tried a lj 4250ps driver and had no issues after that. it feeds from tray 2, tray 1 and envelope feeder without issue. no going to the machine. it worked for me, maybe it will work for you.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.