Parallel to usb HP LaserJet 6L on windows 7/vista for a laptop (1066 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 7 (1,066 Views)

Parallel to usb HP LaserJet 6L on windows 7/vista for a laptop

My father decided to get a new laptop which runs 7 . He switched two adapters (parallel to usb) got them installed printer looks to be ok but when he sends a page to print it simply wont work. He wont give up the printer as it's a very good one and still has a few cartridges left (and I pretty much agree with him as he send me a few articles printed with it) 

So I'm currious what can I do ?

Has there been so far a way to make this printer 100% compatible with  newer laptops and windows with some sort of adapter ? 

Outstanding Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (1,048 Views)

Re: Parallel to usb HP LaserJet 6L on windows 7/vista for a laptop

This adapter is known to work.

http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoparallel.asp
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 7 (1,035 Views)

Thx

will it work with the original / provided by W7 drivers of the printer alone ? 

Any other problems ussualy encountered ?

Outstanding Contributor
Message 4 of 7 (1,027 Views)

The drivers are built into windows 7. In fact you can use any pcl driver in the windows operating system. From the laserjet II all the way up to the latest printers that have pcl it will work. I would use the pcl5 drivers if downloading from the hp site. Most of the pcl drivers for the earlier printers (ljiii, lj2100, lj2200, etc) built into windows are pcl5.
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 7 (1,012 Views)

One last question then : with the other adapter I still have can I try something else to make it work ? (some other adapter drivers or like you said pcl5 drivers ?)  I will throw it away if nothing can be done otherwise 

Outstanding Contributor
Message 6 of 7 (1,005 Views)

As long as you know the correct port or try them all you can try all the drivers you want, one at a time and maybe one of them will work.
Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 7 (997 Views)

For the past week I have been tearing out what few hairs I have left over a similar issue.

HP LaserJet 5, Windows 7 64-bit, printer connected to laptop via parallel-to-USB cable, using HP Universal PCL driver.

The printer responds normally to documents sent from Word (for example), but when I try to generate output with explicit PCL escape codes no entry is created in the print queue and nothing prints.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.