PS Universal Print Drivers won't print PDF (9616 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CondorITServces
Message 1 of 7 (9,616 Views)

PS Universal Print Drivers won't print PDF

[ Edited ]

I have several printers that I have setup with the HP UPD PostScript drivers: a HP LJ 4050n, a HP LJ P2055dn, and a HP LJ 4000. All 3 were working great until users tried printing PDFs. On the 4050n, no PDFs printed unless we chose PS Emulation Level 2 within Adobe Reader. On the P2055dn, all PDFs created from our copier will not print (it says printing document but just blinks green and the printing never starts; a hard reset is required to cancel the job). The HP LJ 4000 doesn't print PDFs what-so-ever.

For the time being, I've switched all users to the UPD PCL6 drivers. I am sharing all printers out through our NAS server which is running Windows 2008 Server x64. The printers are setup via a local TCP/IP port on the server and as network printers on the client machines. I have shared the printers with both the x86 and x64 drivers made available. I've tried printing from both Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro x64.

I would prefer to use the PostScript drivers as I am always hearing complaints of PDFs we generate and print looking different on different printers. I've read with PS drivers, these differences between printers diminishes and the results are as they should be from the PDF.

If anyone can lend some insight as to why these issues are occurring, I'd greatly appreciate it. Again, I'd like to switch back to PostScript drivers and prefer to not use PCL6 drivers.

Thanks,

Prateek

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 2 of 7 (9,600 Views)

Re: PS Universal Print Drivers won't print PDF

What version UPD are you using?  Is it the newest?

The LJ-4000 and 4050 models can only do Postscript Level 2 (PS 3 wasn't around then).  The P2055 has postscript level 3 emulation.

If it was me, I'd be voting for PCL 5 simply because it's more "forgiving" and is faster than Postscript.  However, Postscript does have it's benefits.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
steve  alexander
Message 3 of 7 (9,489 Views)

Same trouble here after recently trying UPD PCL6, we just switched to UPD PS and PDF documents won't print.   HP LJ4000tn and HP Color LJ4650.   I would sure like to know if a solution is found.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 4 of 7 (9,468 Views)

Which is interesting, because (since my previous posting here) I've found a few instances where PDFs do in fact print successfully using the PCL 5 or PS versions of the UPD (version 5.2).

I know that in the instances where PDFs have printed successfully, the print queues involved were set to have "Mopier Mode" disabled, "Color Printing Mode" set to either On or Off (not "Automatic), and "Device Type" set to either Color or Monochrome (again, not Automatic).

I don't know if it would make any difference, "Printer Status Notification" was also set to "Disabled".

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michael_728
Message 5 of 7 (9,109 Views)

I had the same problem.  I found out that the standard drivers are NOT post script (PS), they are PCL.  HP does have a universal PS driver that works (see link below).  Unfortunately, this driver does not look, feel or bring all the functionality of the printer to you that the origional driver does.  It will print PDF files and any other files.  It is a workaround.

I found it disturbing that the tech support person at HP tried to blame the problem on Acrobat.  He also found it to be acceptable that HP would provide a driver that was incompatible with all PDF files which necessitates a second driver for printing PDF files.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 6 of 7 (9,101 Views)

I think we better not blame HP for this one... Tho you have to wonder why it was the HP products that suffered...

We received some correspondance that identified an issue, with a remedy.  This remedy came from Adobe (along with the brief apology)

--------------------------

After updating to Acrobat 9.4.2, one of the following occurs when you print to a Hewlett Packard printer from Acrobat:

- Error: "Before you can perform print related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer."
- Nothing happens when you click the Print button. For example, no progress bar appears and nothing is printed.

Printing problems | HP printers | Acrobat 9.4.2: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/891/cpsid_89178.html
(not a MS patch but probably a pain point for admins rolling out Adobe updates)

A work around:
Dear users of Acrobat, We are extremely sorry for the discomfort caused by our product. A good workaround can be suggested for now:
1.) Please go to the installation directory of Acrobat

(C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat)
2.) Look for the file

"Adobe.Acrobat.Dependencies.manifest"
3.) Open it and delete the line

<file name="alt.dll" />
4.) Reboot your machine after saving that file
This should set right all issues coming up.

--------------------

I (and my fellow co-workers) have done this with several systems that had stopped printing to HP printers from Acrobat ... and it fixed the problem every time.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jake83848
Message 7 of 7 (5,160 Views)

What's the answer in Adobe XI? I can't find an equivalent file?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation