Re: PCL XL error warning : illegal media source (71375 Views)
Occasional Visitor
A Mohanraj Stanley
Message 1 of 11 (71,974 Views)

PCL XL error warning : illegal media source

I have problem with my HP1320N printer. It prints a extra page whenever give print command and in the extrapage the msg was

PCL XL error
warning : illegal media source.
Please tell me how to solve this problem.
Occasional Advisor
jef01
Message 2 of 11 (71,375 Views)

Re: PCL XL error warning : illegal media source

-check this link out: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00159488

maybe it could help you solving your problem

-look at the page settings

-do you use normal A4 paper? is it more fath as normal or is it less fath the paper? And look also to the printer settings of he allows other sizes and other thickness of paper
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 3 of 11 (71,375 Views)

An Illegal Media Source error implies that you have asked the printer to draw paper (media) from a source (input tray) which does not exist on the device.

Ensure that the Device Settings in the driver properties matches the actual device configuration.
(anon)
Message 4 of 11 (71,375 Views)

Check if this happends from a certain program or even with a test page.If this also happends with a test page,install the LJ 1320 PCL 5e driver.
Occasional Visitor
Juan Rodrigo Torres
Message 5 of 11 (71,375 Views)

I have the same problem with LaserJet 1012 printer with the message: PCL XL error
warning: IlegalMediaSize.
Please any help will be apreciated.

Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 6 of 11 (71,375 Views)

IllegalMediaSource implies that the print stream contains a request to load paper (media) from a SOURCE (tray) which is not available on the device.

IllegalMediaSize implies that the print stream contains a request to load paper (media) of a SIZE (e.g. Executive) which is not supported by the tray(s) on the device.
Occasional Collector
bushmills4me
Message 7 of 11 (67,621 Views)

I get PCL XL error

Warning:    IllegalMediaSource 

as a second page.

First page prints fine.

Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 8 of 11 (67,051 Views)

>> I get PCL XL error

>>                       Warning:    IllegalMediaSource 

>> as a second page.

>> First page prints fine.

The printer has used an available paper (media) tray (source) as a substitute for the (unavailable) source specified in the incoming print stream, and printed the page using this available source.

It has then printed the warning (indicating the error) on a separate sheet; it would be less than satisfactory to print the warning at the beginning or end of the sheet on which the user's data has been printed.

Occasional Collector
garthutc
Message 9 of 11 (18,643 Views)

I have been able to bypass this problem which for me under WinXP-64 gave a warning message which I could ignore, and under Win7-64 printed incorrectly before giving this error on the next page.  Instead of using the Universal PCL6 Print Driver, upd-pcl6-x64-5.3.1.10527.exe, I installed the Universal PS Print Driver,  upd-ps-x64-5.8.0.17508.exe (downloaded from HP Support Downloads).  In my case it was on an HP2605dn, but this and related errors -- particularly with the use of the Statement paper size -- have been noted across a number of HP printers.

Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 10 of 11 (18,639 Views)

You'll only get PCL XL errors when you are using a PCL6 driver, or one of the 'host-based' drivers which uses a stripped down variant of PCL XL as the basis of the host-based language (e.g. JetReady).

If you switch to use of a different Page Description Language (e.g. PCL5 or PostScript), then you won't get PCL XL errors but (assuming that the target device supports the chosen PDL) you may get other reported errors or print problems.

Occasional Visitor
MichaelGregg
Message 11 of 11 (17,030 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had this error when I was selecting "Custom" as SOURCE.  (I did this because I wanted to hand-feed custom sized paper in.)

However... after doing some research... I changed SOURCE to "Automatically Select" and it's smart enough to print from the hand-feed tray without generating an error.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.