PCL XL error / illegal operator sequence HELP (12813 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Barbara Peterson
Message 1 of 11 (12,813 Views)

PCL XL error / illegal operator sequence HELP

Hi, We have an HP Laser Jet 4250n. We keep getting this error page print out instead of what we were printing. Not always but quite often. This is a new printer for us. The only thing that changes on these pages is the Position:

The print out looks like this:

PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IllegalOperatorSequence
Operator: 0x1b
Position: 138

Does anyone have any help as to how to fix this? We can get this error page out of any program we are printing from. When we select the print job again it will print but sometime you have to hit the (GO) button to get it started. This is a network printer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advisor
Daroon
Message 2 of 11 (12,813 Views)

Re: PCL XL error / illegal operator sequence HELP

Which driver are you using? PCL5, PCL6? what are you tring to print? PDF? Word, excel? We had this issue printing PDF's with the PCL 6 driver. Resolution was to tell Adobe to print document as image.
hope this helps
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Respected Contributor
Jan Vanden Bossche
Message 3 of 11 (12,813 Views)

A 'PCL XL error' is a PCL6 error. Uninstall the driver: (start with the server)
- open 'Printers and Faxes'
- File, Server properties, /Drivers\
- select the drivers and click
- reboot your machine (or the SPOOL service)

Re-install the machine, NOT using the installation procedure, but by clicking and finding the .INF-file on the CD. Go for the PCL5 or the Postscript printer.

The above procedure is a valid one, too.

Success
Jan

(evaluation points appreciated)
Life, the Universe and Everything : 42
Occasional Visitor
Tomas Concha
Message 4 of 11 (12,813 Views)

I have an HP Laserjet 4300 printer. When I print from Microsoft Excel or Word I get the following message:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: Kernel
Operator: EndChar
Position: Varies

I use a PCL 6 Driver and I do not want to uninstall it in order to install the 5e driver. If anyone knows any other way to solve this problem without erasing the PCL 6 driver I would appreciate it. PCL 5 driver does not work properly on most of my programs.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 5 of 11 (12,813 Views)

Tomas,

You'll have to track down the source of the data corruption that's causing the error then, which can be a career in itself.

See Chris H.'s reply to this thread for an excellent description of what's happening.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1062280

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Bandwala M
Message 6 of 11 (12,813 Views)

I Remove All the Folder in a desktop and Remove all Driver but same problem

Subject PCL XL error / illegal operator sequence HELP
Question Hi, We have an HP Laser Jet 4250n. We keep getting this error page print out instead of what we were printing. Not always but quite often. This is a new printer for us. The only thing that changes on these pages is the Position:

The print out looks like this:

PCL XL error
Position: 30
Does anyone have any help as to how to fix this? We can get this error page out of any program we are printing from. When we select the print job again it will print but sometime you have to hit the (GO) button to get it started. This is a network printer. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Occasional Visitor
Medhat Metwali
Message 7 of 11 (12,813 Views)

I had the same problem when I updated HP LaserJet 9000 PCL6 Drivers to version 61.07.561.43, but after I updated my windows XP to SP3 the problem went away.
Occasional Visitor
Harry Vitebski
Message 8 of 11 (12,813 Views)

I have similar problem with HP LaserJet P3005 connected to the local printer through USB.

Everything works fine except when I try to print multiple copies from Excel 2003, the first page prints with no problem, but the rest of the pages come out with the following message:
PCL XL error
Position: 23

Any suggestions, please?
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 9 of 11 (12,813 Views)

Do what was suggested above, and upgrade XP to Service Pack 3 - this includes corrections to Microsoft supplied spooler/driver routines.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 10 of 11 (12,813 Views)

Before you upgrade to XP SP3 though, and I agree with Chris that's worth a try, you may need to do a little prep work to avoid the known issues:

This applies to all machines with non-Intel processors, not just HPs. I can't believe Microslop actually beta tested SP3. This would have been obvious.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/HP-Fixing-XP-SP3-Problems/?kc=EWKNLNAV051908STR4

If you have an IE7 version prior to 10/07.

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=207801330

XP SP3 triggers false positives in security apps

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080522#story1

Norton software conflicts with Windows XP SP3

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080529#patch0
Finally, if you have Adobe Flash, go to adobe.com, and re-install the latest version after installing SP3. SP3 replaces files in flash with older versions that contain a security vulnerability Adobe had already dealt with in the now-current version.

Those are the bugs I know about at this time. As with all new OS and SPs from MS (and other software vendors), there are probably some more minor ones, but by now, the major ones should be known.

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Gajendra Sharma
Message 11 of 11 (12,234 Views)

i given printout for system the showing error Illegalopratorsequence
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.