PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar (2577 Views)
Occasional Visitor
kannibul
Message 1 of 3 (2,577 Views)

PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar

I have several printers on the network.
The ones having problems are an HP Color LaserJet 3800DTN, and a HP LaserJet 4250TN.

The issue occurs when a user prints more than one copy of a document to the printer, it will give an error:
PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IllegalOperatorSequence
Operator: EndChar
Position: (varies, numerical)

I contacted HP Support, and the best they could give me after an hour and a half, was to change the print driver to an older model - for example, an HP LaserJet 4100 PCL Driver that comes with Windows XP, which works without issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oddly enough, this is also pretty recent - so I think, what's changed... the most recent deployments that I have done are:

.NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 deployment
Crystal Reports (for .NET 2.0)
Microsoft Daylight Savings Time Update (Feb)

I'm unsure if any of these could be related - I do know that the 4100 printers I have on the network do NOT have this issue, and to the best of my knowledge, other printers are OK.

The "standard" environment is the printers are queued on a HP 1200S NAS, running Server 2003 Appliance Edition, and the printers are shared. Client systems (Windows XP Pro SP2) are attaching via these queues.

I've also tested this by attaching a PC via setting up a local IP Port, and using the PCL driver off HP's site (4250)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Occasional Visitor
Sylvie Bourgeois
Message 2 of 3 (2,577 Views)

Re: PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar

Hi Kannibul1,

I recently had a similar error on a HP LaserJet 4250 printer.
PCL XL Error
Subsystem: TEXT
Error: IllegalAttributeValue
Operator: SetFont
Position: 14375
It wouldn't stop printing this page with the error. I had to restart the computer and finally it reset. The only thing I notice was I'm using HP LaserJet 4050 drivers. They were never changed on the PC after upgrading my printer. The client systems are using Windows 2000. I am not sure what to do either.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 3 of 3 (2,577 Views)

Re: PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar

PCL XL errors are from the PCL6 driver. See Chris H.'s reply in this thread for a very good description of what's happening.

Unless you want to spend a lifetime trying to track down the source of the corrupt data, the quickest resolution is to install the PCL5 and/or PS (Postscript) drivers and use them instead. We use PS to print Adobe .pdf files and PCL5 to print everything else.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1062280

Pat
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.