PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar (2375 Views)
Occasional Visitor
kannibul
Message 1 of 3 (2,375 Views)

PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar

I have several printers on the network.
The ones having problems are an HP Color LaserJet 3800DTN, and a HP LaserJet 4250TN.

The issue occurs when a user prints more than one copy of a document to the printer, it will give an error:
PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IllegalOperatorSequence
Operator: EndChar
Position: (varies, numerical)

I contacted HP Support, and the best they could give me after an hour and a half, was to change the print driver to an older model - for example, an HP LaserJet 4100 PCL Driver that comes with Windows XP, which works without issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oddly enough, this is also pretty recent - so I think, what's changed... the most recent deployments that I have done are:

.NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 deployment
Crystal Reports (for .NET 2.0)
Microsoft Daylight Savings Time Update (Feb)

I'm unsure if any of these could be related - I do know that the 4100 printers I have on the network do NOT have this issue, and to the best of my knowledge, other printers are OK.

The "standard" environment is the printers are queued on a HP 1200S NAS, running Server 2003 Appliance Edition, and the printers are shared. Client systems (Windows XP Pro SP2) are attaching via these queues.

I've also tested this by attaching a PC via setting up a local IP Port, and using the PCL driver off HP's site (4250)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sylvie Bourgeois
Message 2 of 3 (2,375 Views)

Re: PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar

Hi Kannibul1,

I recently had a similar error on a HP LaserJet 4250 printer.
PCL XL Error
Subsystem: TEXT
Error: IllegalAttributeValue
Operator: SetFont
Position: 14375
It wouldn't stop printing this page with the error. I had to restart the computer and finally it reset. The only thing I notice was I'm using HP LaserJet 4050 drivers. They were never changed on the PC after upgrading my printer. The client systems are using Windows 2000. I am not sure what to do either.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 3 of 3 (2,375 Views)

Re: PCL XL Error, SubSys: Kernel, Error: IllegalOperatorSequence, Operator: EndChar

PCL XL errors are from the PCL6 driver. See Chris H.'s reply in this thread for a very good description of what's happening.

Unless you want to spend a lifetime trying to track down the source of the corrupt data, the quickest resolution is to install the PCL5 and/or PS (Postscript) drivers and use them instead. We use PS to print Adobe .pdf files and PCL5 to print everything else.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1062280

Pat
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation