PCL Font List (568 Views)
Occasional Contributor
JJ5B
Message 1 of 9 (568 Views)
Accepted Solution

PCL Font List

Is there a PCL or PJL command or escape sequence to programmatically print a PCL font listing?
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 2 of 9 (568 Views)

Re: PCL Font List

'Send' (via 'copy' or 'lpr', depending on how the device is connected) the contents of the attached file direct to the target printer.

On most modern LaserJet devices, it should result in a PCL font list being printed.

It certainly works with a local LJ1320n, but I can't guarantee that it will work with all LaserJet devices.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 3 of 9 (568 Views)

It also works with:
LJ 4200dtn
LJ 4600tn
LJ 4700dn
LJ 5000GN
Occasional Contributor
JJ5B
Message 4 of 9 (568 Views)

I'm not sure where you found it but that did the trick. FYI, I tested on a HP/LJ 2300L. Thanks for your help.
Occasional Visitor
Walker Dix
Message 5 of 9 (568 Views)

Chris,

I have the same problem (HP-1320) & note that you have provided the solution a couple of times . . . problem is, the solution is in the form of an attached file, contents unknown.

Could I impose on you to email me a copy of that file ??

Thanks,
Walker Dix
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 6 of 9 (568 Views)

All that you need to do is to:

* download the file (which should have a name of '285997.dia', as given to it by the forum's 'attachment' mechanism.

* 'send' the contents of the file directly to the printer port; how this is done depends on how the device is connected.

For an 'n' (network) model, use the 'lpr' command in a 'command prompt' window:

lpr -S printer-ip-address -P any 285997.dia

For a USB printer, use the 'copy' command:

copy /b 285997.dia \\PC_name\share-name

where the third argument identifies the name of the PC on which the printer has been shared with the given share name.

If you are concerned about what is IN the file, attached is an analysis.
Occasional Visitor
Walker Dix
Message 7 of 9 (568 Views)

Chris,

Thanks heaps for the instant turn around. I didn't notice (wasn't aware of) the attachment thingee . . . dumb !
Downloaded & copied file to printer - - wonderful !!!
It baffles me that HP, while touting the grand number of internal typefaces in their printers, does such a great job of hiding how to access a list of same............

Thanks again,

Walker
Occasional Visitor
Walker Dix
Message 8 of 9 (568 Views)

Chris,

Thanks heaps for the instant turn around. I didn't notice (wasn't aware of) the attachment thingee. Dumb !
Downloaded & copied file to printer - wonderful !!!
It baffles me that HP, while touting the grand number of internal typefaces in their printers, does such a great job of hiding how to access a list of same.

Thanks again,

Walker
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 9 of 9 (568 Views)

If you have the 'n' model, you can use your standard web browser to attach to the Embedded Web Server (EWS) in the printer - just point your browser at the TCP/IP address of the printer.

Obce in the EWS, there is a section (titled 'Print Info Pages') which allows you to initiate various different configuration prints.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.