P2015dn - Single PDF doc/Multiple page sizes won't print (1099 Views)
Occasional Advisor
VaIT
Message 1 of 7 (1,099 Views)

P2015dn - Single PDF doc/Multiple page sizes won't print

I've got a couple of P2015dn's attached by USB to two XP Pro systems. Both started having the same problem roughly at the same time.

The problem is that when opening PDF documents that have multiple paper sizes within one document (example, a fax document where the cover sheet is Letter sized and the other pages are Legal sized), the printer only prints to Letter.

It used to work where the printer would use the correct paper type to match whatever was the size of the page in the document. To my knowledge, nothing has changed with either Adobe Reader 9.1 or the printer drivers since they are at the same version they've been since long before the problem began.

To troubleshoot I've tried various drivers, PCL5 and PCL6. Also removed all the drivers from the system, rebooted, and installed drivers from the CD that came with the printer. Nothing has changed.

I've toyed around with various settings within the Printer properties but none of them amount to a solution.
Also updated Adobe Reder to latest - 9.3, no change.

Does anybody know specifically that these printers (or perhaps all multi-tray printers in general) are supposed to auto-select the paper type based on thesize of the pages within a PDF document when that PDF document has multiple page sizes?
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 2 of 7 (1,099 Views)

Re: P2015dn - Single PDF doc/Multiple page sizes won't print

Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 3 of 7 (1,099 Views)

not sure.i imagine you tried or used a post script driver.usually laserjets will not just auto select to multiple trays unless it is set in the driver to do so.where you can select the source for the first page and then the rest or different source for last page.is there any options to change things in the application's menu?
Occasional Advisor
VaIT
Message 4 of 7 (1,099 Views)

Thanks Ken for the link. It's gratifying to know I"m not the only one having this issue.

Unfortnately I had tried that checkmark and the Paper Scaling options but no luck. For the record the Paper Scaling options I have for my OfficeJet L7780 are:

None
Fit to Printable Area
Shrink to Printable Area
Multiple Pages per Sheet
Booklet Printing

Not sure of the differences between and 2nd and 3rd one but anyway, I tried each of them in combination with or without the checkmark in "Choose Paper Source by PDF Page Size".

I believe I did this full combination of tests with both the PCL5 and PCL6 (which installed as PCL5e on the PCs) but no hange.

I've dug around in the Adobe Reader options but haven't found anything that has helped or worked - it's been two weeks since doing that part though so I can't recall what I found or changed.

But on a potentially related note, Reader 9.3 was giving another user issues when trying to load web-based PDF's and it was resolved by going back to 9.0 - I wonder if perhaps 9.3 is the issue or something. I don't think I've updated Reader on the two PC's having this issue though but I"ll check on that.

Occasional Advisor
VaIT
Message 5 of 7 (1,099 Views)

Jazzer:

I've tried the PCL5 and PCL6 (aka 5e after installation) drivers but not the PS one. The only reason is that, for now at least, I'm using the logic that if it worked with the PCL before, why is it not now?

But having said that, you're right I should still try the PS one at least to see what happens.

By the way, why do PS drivers exist for Windows systems anyway? I'm asking basically because I don't think I've ever installed PS drivers before - never had to since PCL always worked + PS is more Mac-related anyway (or so I thought but then why is it available for Windows).

Thanks guys!
Occasional Advisor
VaIT
Message 6 of 7 (1,099 Views)

Sorry not Jazzer but Razzer :)

And I replied to the driver thing but not the rest, sorry about that.

The printers used to be able to auto-select which paper tray to print from on a page by page basis within a single PDF document. But since the problem started, I have indeed looked at all those settings in software (both in the Printers & Faxes view within XP, as well as in the Page Setup, Print Preferences, and even the HP Toolbox software that installs along ith P2015dn's).

None of those settings have had any impadct, but what I haven't done is check what's configured on the printer itself (firemware). Though it was my understanding that what you set in software gets written to printer firmware (or CMOS to be accurate) but anyway, I'll still check.

Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 7 of 7 (1,099 Views)

I've re-read your post and I think it could be the change in Reader causing the issue. I would be interested to know what happens if you "downgrade" the Reader.

As to why PostScript exists, please look at my last response in :-

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1377455

regards

Ken
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.