Network printer not working with Windows XP (134 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Gail Littlejohn
Message 1 of 3 (134 Views)

Network printer not working with Windows XP

Since I installed Windows XP (up from Win98), my LaserJet 1200n, which is the network printer in our small office, is no longer recognized. I did "Add a Printer" and the proper XP driver was located and added, but the problem seems to be in the port settings and/or IP address. It's not on an LPT or a COM port -- it's on a LAN network -- and I don't know how to identify it so that it can be configured. The connection/config has been working properly for several years. The only change is that I went from Windows 98 to XP. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 2 of 3 (134 Views)

Re: Network printer not working with Windows XP

Gail,

I vaguely remember reading a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on symptoms like this if a computer was upgraded from 98 to XP. It's been several months, and I could be remembering it incorrectly. If you want to search the MS KB on it though, it's here:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/#

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Gail Littlejohn
Message 3 of 3 (134 Views)

Re: Network printer not working with Windows XP

Thanks very much for your reply. I finally figured out that I had to create a TCP/IP port for the printer and then provide its IP address on our network. I created the port through the "Add a Printer" function, and I found the IP address by looking at network settings on one of the other computers in our office. I could hardly believe it when this worked, but it did! This was all strange territory for me because someone else set up our network six years ago. Thanks again.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.