Need PCL5 font lists and confirmed bitmap soft font support for current Laserjet printers (863 Views)
Regular Advisor
Richard Jordan
Message 1 of 15 (863 Views)

Need PCL5 font lists and confirmed bitmap soft font support for current Laserjet printers

Online support and docs do NOT specify which fonts are available under PCL5 on current printers, and the PCL compatibiilty guide has not been updated in many years.  This is specifically for printers that claim PCL5 compatibility, like the P2035, P3015, Pro 300 and 400 series, Pro x576 and x476dn, etc.

Some printers claim 40+ fonts but not until you buy them can you find out that only a few work under PCL5, the rest are PCL6 only.

We need to replace older LaserJet printers (4000, 5000, 8000 series, 2430s, etc) that HAD  PCL5 fonts with a wide selection of fonts, proportional scalable, fixed pitch, etc, and also could reliably download bitmap fonts that applications used for logos.  Many of the low end printers (that say they support PCL5) also have problems with a downloaded bitmap font, but again we cannot get this information from online resources

This is NOT for windows/mac printing, it is for OpenVMS and Unix systems sending prebuilt PCL5 and text to the printers.  There are no PCL6 drivers available for these systems.

Can you tell me how to get this information short of buying and trying each model of printer?

If you can, thank you, because this has been a problem for years now.

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
affableLJ
Message 2 of 15 (824 Views)

Re: Need PCL5 font lists and confirmed bitmap soft font support for current Laserjet printers

Hello,

I will look to see if i can find someone that can help you.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Richard Jordan
Message 3 of 15 (818 Views)

Re: Need PCL5 font lists and confirmed bitmap soft font support for current Laserjet printers

Thanks;  I was hoping I got in under the wire for expert assistance; normal support channels and presales have not been helpful.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
SamKnows
Message 4 of 15 (809 Views)

Our *Pro line is different than our Enterprise line of products..

Here is a long link that describes how to show the font list on a LJ 1015 (google "pcl5 fontlist page hp laserjet 1015 printer it resource center")

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCache...

Supported PCL Fonts

The internal fonts and escape sequences available for the HP LaserJet 1015 printer are shown below. Perform the following to print the PCL font list:
  1. Open the HP LaserJet Toolbox.
  2. Click the Device Settings button.
  3. Click the Information link.
  4. Click the Print Info Pages link.
  5. Click the Print button next to the PCL Font List option.

Also the newer enterprise models support 4 UFST font datasets.  This allows for world wide printing of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean glyphs.

More details on a specific case that isn't working as expected could help.

Thx

Sam

An HP Employee

Thx,
Sam
-----
I am an HP Employee
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Richard Jordan
Message 5 of 15 (801 Views)

Samknows,

thanks but that doesn't help.  We need to know _before_ we purchase a printer for one of our sites that it will have the capabilities we need.  That information used to be provided by the website, or by downloadable docs available prior to sale.  If you compare a manual for a LaserJet 5 or 4000 to the ones available for current printers you will see how much info used to be provided, that is no longer available.

I don't _have_ these printers to run a font list on.  I need to know if they do before I tell a customer they can safely buy one.   I have, out of desperation in the past, posted public pleas for help from anyone who had access to a particulat printer model to send me a PCL5 font list from it because there seems to be no way to get this info from HP anymore.  Thats how for a while we knew we could purchase LaserJet 2430 printers as usable replacements for sites needing smaller printers (we took a risk on the soft font downloads but they worked on that model). 

Every time HP comes out with  new printers in the small-midsize range, we run into the same problem; customer asks if they can purchase one to replace an older printer and we have no way to tell if it will serve or not because we can't get details on the completeness of PCL5 support, fonts, and capabilities unless we can find someone who has already purchased one and is willing to run the font list, and/or run a bitmap soft font load and test.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 6 of 15 (774 Views)

Richard

If it's any help, attached is a scan of the PCL font list produced by my LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Richard Jordan
Message 7 of 15 (758 Views)

Thank you!  With one post and attachment you've provided more directly useful info than I've managed to get from HP presales support over the past several years!

This particular printer is now an option.  We still need to confirm its ability to handle a downloadable bitmap font but give the font list, it looks like its one of the "real" PCL5 printers so should be ok.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 8 of 15 (748 Views)

Richard

I'm fairly sure that the LJ  M475dn supports downloadable PCL5 bitmap soft fonts, of formats 0 (bitmap (deprecated)) and 20 (resolution-specified bitmap), and also the scalable format 15 (TrueType) and 16 (Universal) ones; not sure about the old format 10 and 11 (Intellifont scalable) types.

I have in the back of my mind that there is a slight problem with downloaded soft fonts on this (and simlar?) models: downloaded fonts, even if set as 'permanent', do not persist once the printer enters 'sleep' mode.

If i get time in the next few days, I'll try to confirm the above.

Chris

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
SamKnows
Message 9 of 15 (724 Views)

From the Firmware team on the Pro LJ series:

The HP 85 Font set has been supported for the last 2 years and will be supported for the forseeable future. (see attached printed font list above)

The Pro Line supports downloadable formats 0, 10, 11,20,15 and 16 for the past 2 years and is the plan for the future.

Thanks

Sam

an HP Employee.

Thx,
Sam
-----
I am an HP Employee
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 10 of 15 (712 Views)

Attached are 5 small print jobs in .prn files (each disguised with an additional .txt extension in order to allow them to be uploaded in this forum):

• bmp_fixp_fmt0.prn downloads a fixed-pitch bitmap font of format 0 (bitmap) using font identifier 101, and prints the characters ABCDE and abcde (these are the only characters defined in the font);
  • bmp_fixp_fmt20.prn downloads a fixed-pitch bitmap font of format 20 (resolution-specified bitmap) using font identifier 102, and prints as above;
  • bmp_prop_fmt0.prn downloads a proportionally-spaced bitmap font of format 0 (bitmapusing font identifier 201, and prints as above;
  • bmp_prop_fmt20.prn downloads a proportionally-spaced bitmap font of format 20 (resolution-specified bitmap) using font identifier 202, and printsas above;
  • scl_prop_fmt16.prn downloads a scalable proportionally-spaced font of format 16 (TrueType Universalusing font identifier 301, and prints as above.

On my LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn printer, these jobs print as expected; see scan_fontSamples.pdf for a scan of the printed pages.

When I print off a PCL Font List from the printer, after sending these 5 (separate) jobs to the device, the list shows the 5 downloaded soft fonts (see scan_softFontList.pdf), together with their PCL5 font selection sequence skeletons, although it doesn't show the individual font-ID values used when downloading them).

But if I print off the same list after the printer enters its calibration cycle (itself after the printer has entered its sleep mode), the list no longer includes details of any of the downloaded soft fonts, implying that the soft fonts have been deleted (although I've not tested this by attempting to select any of them in another job).

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 11 of 15 (709 Views)

[ Edited ]

... and here are the scan_ files (there seems to be a limit of 5 attachments per post?).

Note that the format 0 samples appear twice the size of the equivalent format 20 samples; this is because the latter specifiy a 600 dots-per-inch resolution, whilst the former assumes the default 300 dots-per-inch resolution.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 12 of 15 (683 Views)

>there seems to be a limit of 5 attachments per post?

Here is where zipping them up into one file would help.  :-)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 13 of 15 (640 Views)

@Richard

Did the results of my tests with various types of soft font (on LJ M475) reassure you at all?

@Dennis

I agree that zipping the files would have allowed all the files to be added in one go.

But the first five files were very small (so no real size advantage in zipping), and I'd already added them when I found that I couldn't add any more.

... and placing files in a .zip adds an extra step for subsequent readers, which may put sometimes put them off looking at the files.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 14 of 15 (620 Views)

>and placing files in a .zip adds an extra step for subsequent readers

I suppose that's a concern if you only want a few of those files but if you want all, putting them in a container seems more helpful.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Richard Jordan
Message 15 of 15 (605 Views)

Chris H,

yes, and thanks.  Sorry, got busy and couldn't reply for a while.

It sounds like the Pro series are going to be a safe option.  I'm still trying to get answers on the smaller/lower line printers that include PCL5 in their descriptions... the customers really would prefer to put a < $150 printer at a low volume office, so long as it will work.  I like happy customers who we were able to save money for.

Rich

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation