Monthly Duty Cycles (551 Views)
Advisor
peter vickers
Message 1 of 3 (551 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monthly Duty Cycles

Hi Guys,

I am currently researching the HP CP2025 colour laser machine, I have discovered the following statement:

"Duty Cycle (monthly A4) 40.000"

"Recommended Monthly page volume 750 - 2000"

A huge difference, why even mention the higher figure if the machine is not built to do that amount of pages per month?

can anyone clarify the figures.

Cheers

Pete
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 2 of 3 (551 Views)

Re: Monthly Duty Cycles

Pete,

Good for you for noticing that. A lot of people don't and only see the Duty Cycle figure.

BOTTOM LINE: I would not exceed the higher number in the Recommended monthly print volume.

I've noticed it's pretty much the same across all laserjets (haven't checked other types of printers since we don't use them).

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-3328060-15077-236268-3673580-3673584-36735...

For the Color LaserJet CP2020 Printer series, the Monthly Duty Cycle is stated as "Up to 40,000 pages". HP's footnote on that says "*Footnote for duty cycle
Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups."

I interpret "up to" as it's the maximum capacity of the printer, assuming everything else meets HP specs. This usually also assumes something like letter size, not legal, for the paper, a certain percentage of toner coverage, etc. In other words under what HP considers ideal conditions for the printer, you could go that high, but I wouldn't plan around that figure.

The glossary link near the top of that page says: Duty Cycle
The maximum usage level per month for a printer is the duty cycle. This rating takes into account printer specifics such as the paper-handling capacity and cartridge replacement.
Learn More
Different departments in your company may have very different duty cycle needs. Some, like legal and accounting, may print reams of documents almost daily, while others like IT may not print much at all. As you consider your duty cycle needs, pay close attention to the different departments that will share the printer and how much they print monthly. You may be able to address the light duty cycle needs of one group with the heavy duty cycle needs of another in a single printer or multifunction device, or you may choose to give each group with high usage requirements their own printer to ensure their printing needs are met. Running a printer regularly at the top end of its duty cycle causes users to replace supplies more often, which reduces their productivity and increases your supplies usage. You should choose a printer with a duty cycle that exceeds your current production needs by a substantial margin to minimize interventions and maximize the life of your printer.

The glossary also says re: Recommended Monthly Volume
The number of output pages a printer is designed to support on a monthly basis. While exceeding the recommended volume occasionally poses no problem, regularly exceeding it can reduce the life of your printer and compromise print quality. It's better to choose a printer whose recommended monthly volume exceeds your current needs so you have room to grow as your printing needs grow.

Pat
Please use plain text.
Advisor
peter vickers
Message 3 of 3 (551 Views)

Re: Monthly Duty Cycles

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your input, very comprehensive reply, to me Printer manufacturers make a rod for their own backs by publishing complicated data, end of the day the lower of the two figures is the most important.

The higher figure is pie in the sky.

Pete

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation