M451dn goes offline on USB connection. (389 Views)
Occasional Collector
Angel_IT
Message 1 of 2 (389 Views)

M451dn goes offline on USB connection.

[ Edited ]

I believe we have a rather unusual setup and issue. We have an HP LJ M451dn printer in an office connected via IP to a house network and we have no issues with that network setup. It has a static IP outside the DHCP range, etc. and functions perfectly. The device is plugged into a UPS in this office (surge protection side only).

We wanted to use this same printer for printing reports in that office but from a different PC on a different network. Because the IP is set, we set it up to be simultaneously connected to that other PC via USB (the printer is not shared in any other way).

Once the drivers were installed, the printer worked fine for roughly 4-5 days before it went "offline". I spend a day troubleshooting and wound up just uninstalling and reinstalling it, thinking the USB port may have been corrupted. It worked fine but, again after about 4-5 days, the USB connection went offline. The Networked connection to the house network still works fine but the USB connection disconnects. I can turn it "online" again but any print job sent via the USB fails. The proper port (USB001 Virtual port) is in use. The only fix we have found is to delete the printer and reinstall it again. So far this has happened 3x over 3 weeks.

The OS for both PCs is Windows XP SP3.
Sleep Delay and Power Down delay are turned off.
Wake on USB, LAN, and Button Press are all on.

Can anyone suggest solutions to prevent the printer from going offline via the USB connection?

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Garro_LJ_Tech
Message 2 of 2 (341 Views)

Re: M451dn goes offline on USB connection.

Hello Angel_IT,

Unfortunately, these devices are not meant to have more than 1 connection simultaneously, meaning USB, network, or Wi-Fi(On the supported models)

In fact, your behavior is quite normal. The device will function for shorts amount of time, and then one of the 2 connections will drop. Unfortunately there is no fix for this, the device needs to be connected via USB only, or network only. The only solution I can think of is sharing the printer, but since there are other PC's on different networks, that most likely won't work.

- Garro
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

I Am An HP employee
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation