Laserjet P3015 Phantom Paper Jam (9162 Views)
Occasional Contributor
RCPO
Message 1 of 26 (9,162 Views)

Laserjet P3015 Phantom Paper Jam

I bought a laserjet P3015DN almost a year ago. For the first few months it worked well I was happy with it. Then a few months ago it showed paper jam. I would open the tray, nothing there, close it, open the door to the manual feed. Then the printer would reset and work again for another 30 pages or so. In December after spending hours with HP suppport, they had me upgrade the firmware and it seemed to solve the problem. A few days ago the same issue started again. On the Home support forum a lot of people complained about this with no solution. I tried again to get support and they blew me off telling me to call to the exchange program. I also noticed that I am a Business customer and the Home support blog said to go here. Well here I am. My warranty runs out soon, the printer shows jam when there is none and the HP techs are instructed to pass the problem somewhere else. I even offered to pay for an upgraded printer if they take this lemon back, but the tech could not help me. I am at my wits end. I have 4 HP printers here and this is the only one that is a dog. I wish they would make it easier to exchange a bad machine.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
turi
Message 2 of 26 (9,158 Views)

Re: Laserjet P3015 Phantom Paper Jam

What is the error on the control panel? What is the page count? It may be a worn out pick-up roller or the guides in paper tray are not set correctly. Try to print from Manual feed tray.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 26 (9,154 Views)

Most times when you get a false paper jam where no paper has even been picked up the issue is as the poster above states. In my experience if the printer has been used for more than 20K prints the pickup roller will be starting to wear. You can remove the paper tray and use a cloth dampened in soapy warm water to clean off the roller and then dry which will help, but the roller really needs to be replaced. If the unit is still in warranty you can take it to an authorized support provider who should be able to fix it under warranty at no charge. You will have to call hp customer care to get the location of support providers near you since the on-line locator is not working.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
RCPO
Message 4 of 26 (9,147 Views)

I have an old HP Laserjet 4000 that is 14 years old, huge print volume, maybe 50-100K and I never replaced the roller. I was just starting to skip so I bought the P3015 as a replacement. The usage on this one is 12K, it is less than a year old. This should not be happening. I think by just fooling around with the roller all I am going to do is go past the warranty and then it is my problem.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 26 (9,144 Views)

2 different printers as the 4000 has not only a pickup roller but 4 half moon "helpers" to move the paper. As I said if more than 20K which you do not have and believe it or not depending on the paper you are using it is possible your roller is wearing out anyway. Since the printer is still under warranty, bring it to an authorized support provider and let them repair it for you under warranty. There is no charge as long as you bring it to them.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Scouty12
Message 6 of 26 (9,139 Views)

To expand a bit on Turi's post......More than once I have seen phantom paper jams due to paper tray guides being too tight.  Don't want to overlook the simple things!  If the guides are too tight the paper cannot be pulled from the tray causing the machine to think there is a jam. 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Miszon
Message 7 of 26 (9,110 Views)

I have the same issue with my P3015. I wrote my opinion here and after all I'm really upset with the printer behaviour. Loosen or tighten paper doesn't make any difference in my case and tray 2 is set to A4 format anyway. Ceaning the pickup roller could help for a while but is quite unpractical solution since it have to be cleaned every day. Besides, I have been using my old HP 1320 LaserJet printer and never had to clean pickup roller.

I wish I could increase number of paper pickup attempts (which is 3) to 10 or so and make the printer not jamming every 3 failed attempts. This could be some kind of workaround, but I don't think it's possible.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 26 (9,099 Views)

[ Edited ]

How may prints on the printer. Possible the pickup roller is worn and not matter how much cleaning it will continue to jam until replaced.   I just read you link and you mention doing a 200 page  job.  I would think you have a lot of copies on this printer and most likley the pickup roller is wearing.  They do not last forever.  I have seen them really worn at about 20k prints. Easy enough to tell as the roller is pretty easy to remove.  See the attachment.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Miszon
Message 9 of 26 (9,092 Views)

Thanks for reply.

The printer has nearly 50k prints, which I believe is way too much in Your opinion. I can't say if pickukp roller is worn or not, it looks pretty smooth, however I'm not an expert. I understand those rollers do not last forever, but 20k  is not an impressive amount. This printer has a normative workcycle up to 100000 pages per month (taken from HP website) which means you need to replace the roller every 6 days. Is it normal?

Also, I want to refer to this guy who mentioned that replacing pickup roller did not make difference.

Thanks anyway, at least it is worth trying. 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
DoublHH
Message 10 of 26 (9,066 Views)

Zuts know what he's talking about....trust his advice...

Not only that, but do the separation pads, also !

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 11 of 26 (9,054 Views)

Workcycle counts are unrealistic numbers that hp puts out for the max prints per month that the printer is capable. Look at it logically if you were to print 100K on one printer per month using a 5 day work week, the printer would print 25k pages per week which equates to 5K pages per day which means you would have to refill the printer tray 10 times a day. As I said unrealistic. If you have 50K prints on the printer you need to replace the pickup roller plain and simple.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
RCPO
Message 12 of 26 (9,052 Views)

Thank you Zuts. I am willing to give another try as I printed a big job yesterday and the printer did not have phantom jams. I don't know why it was doing it before. As you can see my usage is nowhere near 50K. But if it happens, where do you get your pickup rollers HP, Amazon, NewEgg?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Miszon
Message 13 of 26 (9,041 Views)

I wrote to HP support and described the problem. Within two hours they called me and said the tech guy will visit me in my office next day (the printer is still under warranty). Technician arrived right on time and replaced the pickup roller. After that the printer works like a charm. I asked him few questions and he advised me to use better kind of paper (less dusty) so the pickup roller can last longer. He also said that 50k prints is not a high value and the printer will go better than that without failure if I only use a good kind of paper.

So Zuts, you were right, it was the pickup roller issue, however I'm still a little bit disappointed with time after which the printer needed to be serviced. I say this because of comparison with other HP printers I have used for years with the same kind of paper and without any failure. I don't know what to think about it, is this printer too sensitive or what...

Anyway, I am pleased with the way HP support resolved my issue.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
michaeltm99
Message 14 of 26 (8,521 Views)

How closely related is the P3015 to the P3005?  We currently have over 15 - P3005 and they are also notorious for phantom jams.  However, with the P3005 the issue reportedly was caused by a failure of the rear plastic gear RU5-0957.  I also replaced RU5-0956, RU5-0958, and RU5-0959.  Is this phantom jamming a problem that carried over from the P3005, or did they resolve that issue?  I am looking to purchase 8 (have 6 on hand) P3015's...  but don't really want to do it if all I am going to get is calls about phantom jams.

Side thought and opinion...  These new HP printers don not even compare to the old HP LaserJets.  The LaserJet 4 series could withstand being tossed in a tornado and still print.  These days you can't even breathe on a new LaserJet. with out having something go wrong.  The quality and craftsmanship have taken a backseat to quantity .

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jessetill
Message 15 of 26 (8,512 Views)

Hi Folks.

Both our P3015s started jamming up 6 months after purchasing too. Seems to be a common occurance here.

We were using HP copy paper and the printer was jamming up instantly. Had a technician check it over and said there was nothing wrong with them. 

So we tried putting another brand of paper in and they are working a treat.

I agree with the previous poster though. Prior to the P3015n we had a couple of the P3005n models which were going strong for 3 years now. We only replaced them as we thought they were getting old. Might put them back into circulation though as these new printers seem dodgy.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
DoublHH
Message 16 of 26 (8,497 Views)

I'm a Depot repair tech, but I've been sent out to site on several of these (phantom jams). My experience has been, in addition to needing cleaning/or new rollers/pads, that when users fill the tray real full, and push the tray in, the weight of a full tray really slams in....On three occasions, it has dislodged the tray paper end-stop just enough to cause intermittent feed failures. Resetting the stop fixed the problem, but I also replaced the rollers.

I wonder how relevant this is to this issue.Also, I have been having to adjust the 'tray inserted' microswitch on many 3015's..Some of them are on the 'hairy-edge' of not being 'made', and need to be adjusted so that the 'tray open' message onle comes on when the tray is out to the first-detent position. I am wondering if this also contributes to some of the 'Phantom Jams'....

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GTBaxter
Message 17 of 26 (8,372 Views)

I notice a lot of the complaints are from users having the machines for awhile. I just purchased this machine and it has had this problem from day 1. So a dirty or worn pickup roller should not be the problem.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Darkenone
Message 18 of 26 (8,150 Views)

I am a IT consultant and one of our large oil company clients has around 20-30 of these printers scrattered throughout the United States in different offices. I work with on average 2 cases a week that deals with these same issues.

I can tell you that the printer tray is the main issue. We found a slightly silly work around by opening the back door above the paper tray. We can't keep the door open all the time from the amount of dust and dirt in the air, but we have them open the door when they do large print jobs and it doesn't fail.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
wulleymammoth
Message 19 of 26 (7,880 Views)

I agree with GTBaxter, as I've experienced the "phantom-jam" problem, with two new, out of the box, HP p3015's.  As other posters have written, it does sound like a dirty, or worn pickup-roller problem, but in my case, it is not.  I'm also an IT professional, and have quite a few years of experience, with maintaining laser printers.  In my case, the p3015 replaced a p3005, which was "in place" for about four years, and never had pickup-roller issues, during its lifetime; started eating fusing assemblies, instead.  At any rate, as with other posters, have tried firmware updates, driver updates, cleaning the pickup roller (which shouldn't be necessary, on day one), and even contacted HP for a replacement printer.  As it turns out, after a week of printing, the replacement printer started having the "phantom jam" issue, as well.  I'm going to try the work around, mentioned on the following post, which is "opening the door, above the paper tray", on the back of the printer, during long print jobs.  Hopefully, that will work.  I think that it's pretty obvious, that this printer STILL has a design issue, that dates back well over a year, and HP has NOT addressed it.  VERY frustrating, indeed.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
RCPO
Message 20 of 26 (7,867 Views)

Re: Laser P3015 Phantom Paper Jam

I was too busy and never had a chance to dump this printer. It generally works now, but I have noticed a pattern. When the printer is receiving data quickly and has a chance to print continuously it does not get a phantom paper jam ever. But when there is a delay and it has to wait for data from the computer over the network, it is then that a jam will occur. Somehow the pause while it waits for data to complete transmission for printing is causing something in the printer to flag a jam. So now I make sure for large jobs that the best format Word or PDF is coming down the line so there is no delay and the printer just plows through the job with no delays. I still would not recommend this printer, and wish HP had been more accommodating to allow an exchange and upgrade (which I would have paid for). That hurt.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GordPBlog
Message 21 of 26 (5,075 Views)

Re: Laser P3015 Phantom Paper Jam - Fix May Be Easy

I took the advice about checking all of the guides (moved them all back and forth and back to the correct position for 8.5 *11) on the tray and put the paper back and it worked!  I could not see any difference in the guides but this model must be really finicky about about where the guides are set.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GordPBlog
Message 22 of 26 (5,075 Views)

Good advice. Better try this before baking your printer in an oven......
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RedhatJames
Message 23 of 26 (4,755 Views)

I don't know if anyone tried this? Fill your Tray to a smaller stack, like maybe 20% full and try printing like that XD, apparently it seems like the tray has problems hence why its trying to pick up the pages but fails. Checking my supplier for a new 2nd tray and roller kit.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
DustinJClark
Message 24 of 26 (2,762 Views)

You should try upgrading the firmware.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
DaveK.
Message 25 of 26 (2,663 Views)

The "Phantom" jam sometimes called a "No Pick" (paper not advancing in the paper path) from the tray and can be related to worn rollers and other causes.  The error code on the CP should be a 13.01 on the P3015 and 13.B2.D2 on the M525 (same paper path). 

Paper loading in the tray cassette can be a common cause for No Pick jams, attached is a link to a document that explains how to load the tray cassette to prevent No Pick/Phantom jams:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/13-01-Jam-on-P3015-or-13-B2-D2-Jam-on-M525-Common-Cau...

I work for HP

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation