Laserjet P1006 -- cannot cancel jobs in print queue (2207 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ellen Nodelman
Message 1 of 15 (2,207 Views)

Laserjet P1006 -- cannot cancel jobs in print queue

I have a brand new printer but I have found that I cannot cancel a job once sent to the print queue. It just stays in there, saying Deleting... under the Status. Tried turning printer off, unplugging it, etc., and that didn't work. What will work is to restart the computer (I'm working on XP) but that is obviously annoying.
I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Occasional Visitor
cchan
Message 2 of 15 (2,207 Views)

Re: Laserjet P1006 -- cannot cancel jobs in print queue

Hi,

We are having the same issues. We purchased 7 of these printers. Installed 2 to test them out, and both are having the same issues.

It prints well, but at least 5-8 times in a day, a print job will get stuck in queue, you can cancel it (it just says "deleting..."). Only way to remove the job from queue is to retart the computer.

I've tried to download a new driver from hp.com on one of the computers, but we have the same issues still.

Both printers are attached to a XP Pro SP2 computer with varying specs. One with the software/driver packet that came with the printer installed, and one with a downloaded driver (hp.com).

We would like to avoice the hassle of returing these printers, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 3 of 15 (2,207 Views)

one other way should be to go to local disk c:/then windows/system 32/spool folder/then printers folder and remove any from there.
Occasional Visitor
Ellen Nodelman
Message 4 of 15 (2,207 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion of going into the System 32 folder. I also contacted HP and was told to go to the control panel, Administrative Tools, then Services, then right click on print spooler and click Restart. This worked!

EN
Occasional Visitor
ajb9794
Message 5 of 15 (2,207 Views)

Restarting the print spooler only fixes the symptoms caused by faulty drivers. I was informed my HP support that there are issues with the printer drivers on the installation CD and to install the drivers using the Add Printer Wizard. Unfortunately, it still didnt work. I also tried installing the drivers I downloaded from HP. The printer will print the first few pages and then begin to pause 3 to 5 minutes between each and every sheet. This occurs on 3 brand new XP workstations. I also cannot delete the jobs from the queue. Restarting the spooler does not work for me.
Occasional Visitor
Karen Seago
Message 6 of 15 (2,207 Views)

I was experiencing this very same problem. After two excruciating hours on live chat tech support, I did download/install the drivers they gave me. With the printer disconnected from the computer, I deleted the printer from my printers/faxes under settings, then plugged printer back in and allowed the computer to find it as new hardware. Once it was installed, I went in and selected the correct drivers as the old ones were there but now they had two dates (06/07 and 09/07)-selected the 09/07 drivers and since then, my printer is working great. Jobs no longer stuck in pool.
Occasional Visitor
briankelly63
Message 7 of 15 (2,207 Views)

After weeks of playing with various settings like Bi_Directional on/off, advanced printing on/off, re-installs etc.... I found the item that seems to make all the difference in eliminating hangs and delays in clearing the queue for the next job in a shared environment. Go into printer properties for the P1006 (or similar family printer), then go to the Security tab and change the permissions for Everyone to enable Manage Printers & Manage documents. Re-start the computer or stop and start the spooler and things should start working a little better. My problems were occuring within a total Vista environment. Its really unacceptable that this driver has so many issues in a shared environment.... not well tested it would seem.
Occasional Visitor
Moon Kim
Message 8 of 15 (2,207 Views)

I had a similar symptom on my P1006. I deleted the current P1006 printer, downloaded "HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver (205.63M) versoin 4.0, release date 11-2007" from HP web site (you can locate the download link from google with search keywords "hp p1006 driver download"), setup the printer DRIVER again with the downloaded one (disconnect USB and turn off the printer before starting installing the driver), and followed the instruction. It works fine so far. Good luck.
Occasional Visitor
briankelly63
Message 9 of 15 (2,207 Views)

I had an earlier post on this subject... My original solution worked for awhile but ultimatley I stopped using this printer in a shared environment. It simply doesn't work..
Occasional Visitor
Joshua Eyer
Message 10 of 15 (2,207 Views)

Hey, I've been working with a similar problem on a different HP laserjet. Drivers are the most common solution if your printer is directly connected to your computer. However, if your printer is connected through a network and goes into sleep mode, it can lose the IP address., when you send a print job, it gets lost in the ether. This will clog your spooler. There's a good KB article on managing this problem at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946737 Unforunately, I have not yet found a fix, but if I make sure the printer is not in sleep mode, I don't have the problem.
Occasional Visitor
Bhupinder Singh Dahelay
Message 11 of 15 (2,250 Views)

I had a similar problem on my P1006. On local pc (to which USB is attched) it is working ok. But when a print is given from a remote/ network pc is send to this printer, the print job sticks in queue. it takes around 7-10 minutes to clear that job. anly after that next print can be given. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Occasional Visitor
james wang
Message 12 of 15 (2,250 Views)

I have the same issue, the job could not cancel, tried delete the spooler, delete scrub2.exe, reboot, none worked. Finally I removed the driver to try a clean start. Unfortunately it just cannot be installed on my vista. It stopped at the last step when ask for connect to the printer. The finish button just not availabe after I turned the printer power on. I might need to download the driver to give it a shot. The same driver worked on my xp laptop.
Occasional Visitor
mcyte
Message 13 of 15 (2,250 Views)

I have the same problem with a LJ P1505 used in network with 6 clients. Waiting time between print job is 5 min, because the last job doesn't get deleted from the spooler. Please, HP, solve this problem, otherwise my institution will reconsider buying HP printers for network printing because IT JUST DOES NOT WORK!!
Occasional Visitor
Bhupinder Singh Dahelay
Message 14 of 15 (2,250 Views)

The Solution :

Step 1 : Uninstall printer drivers what you have installed from the hp cd.
Step 2 : Download latest printer drivers from the hp website, and install the printer.

Test with windows xp : working, no problem at all.

Test with windows 2000 : not working correctly.
Occasional Visitor
CLIFF HAMMER
Message 15 of 15 (2,250 Views)

Quote:
The Solution :

Step 1 : Uninstall printer drivers what you have installed from the hp cd.
Step 2 : Download latest printer drivers from the hp website, and install the printer.

"Test with windows xp : working, no problem at all.

"Test with windows 2000 : not working correctly."

What about Vista?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.