Laserjet 5550 printer - insufficient disk space? (31795 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Tisha Bruemmer
Message 1 of 12 (31,795 Views)

Laserjet 5550 printer - insufficient disk space?

How do I delete disk space on the printer's hard drive? Right now, we can only print one copy of a document at a time. We continually get a print out saying Unable to store job at printer and telling us to delete files from the disk. But no info on how to do that. Thanks!
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 2 of 12 (31,795 Views)

Re: Laserjet 5550 printer - insufficient disk space?

Tisha,

If you go to the retrieve job menu on the control panel, a list of stored jobs will be displayed - you can scroll through these and delete the unwanted ones.

Unfortunately the user guide doesn't actually give an example of how to delete these - from memory, once inside the retrieve job menu, you select a job using the UP and DOWN arrows, then select a job using the TICK button and then delete it.

hope this helps, regards

Ken

Occasional Visitor
Tisha Bruemmer
Message 3 of 12 (31,795 Views)

Ken -
We have no stored jobs. Any other ideas?
Tisha
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 4 of 12 (31,795 Views)

Tisha,

I assume you are trying to print collated copies? In order to do this, the printer needs to hold a copy of the entire document somewhere on the printer - either on an optional hard drive or in memory via something called a ram disk. I suspect you do not have a hard drive installed so the printer has to use the ram disk and this is too small hence the error message.

On the LJ5550 you need at least 192Mb of memory for ram disk operation. On some laserjets you can control the size of the ram disk from the control panel but I have looked at the LJ5550 user guide and it doesn't describe how to do this so I guess all you can do is add more memory and the printer will automatically increase the size of ram disk for you.

You could try unticking the collate option to the print wizard and printing multiple copies but you will have to do the collation by hand.

regards

Ken
Occasional Visitor
Trev Andrews
Message 5 of 12 (31,795 Views)

I have a similar problem.
I also checked the stored jobs and there weren't any, so its the collator.
As far as I can see there is no physical collator option for the LJ5550, so why have the tick box.
Also this is used as network printer from a server, is there any way of preventing users from enabling the collator option to prevent this happening again.

Thanks

Trevor
Occasional Visitor
steve901
Message 6 of 12 (31,795 Views)

I had same problem...

Turned off ram disk and problem fixed.

With ram disk off, printer does not try to store print jobs in ram, therefore can not be full.

Trusted Contributor
Adam F.
Message 7 of 12 (31,795 Views)

See attachment. That's what I got from HP once.
Occasional Visitor
Trev Andrews
Message 8 of 12 (31,795 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the help. RAM disk is now turned off, so I hope this won't happen again.

Trevor
Occasional Visitor
Andrew Kulp
Message 9 of 12 (31,795 Views)

I am having the same issue with this printer. However, I tried disabling the RAM drive as per the instructions attached in a previous post, and this did not work. Even if collating is not checked in the print wizard when the printer still only prints a single page and then prints an error page saying that there is not enough memory. Is there any other course of action I can take?
Occasional Visitor
caussourd
Message 10 of 12 (18,531 Views)

Check the driver version, update it if needed.

It worked for me: I updated the printer driver on the workstation and it solved the problem.

HP Pro
Abhishek041985
Message 11 of 12 (18,222 Views)

Hi 

Please switch off the ram disc,disable mopier mode  and disable job storage feature on your driver. After that perform hard disc initialization.The steps for performing hard disc initialization are as follows:

1. Turn the printer on.

2. As the printer performs its power-on sequence, press and hold the  MENU button until all three lights on the control panel are lit.

3. Press O orƒ. The display should show INITIALIZE DISK. 

4. Pressü. The printer will initialize the hard disk and continue its power-on sequence.

HP Pro
50is32base16
Message 12 of 12 (18,212 Views)

Hello - I don't think the formatting on the previous post came through correctly.  For a Disk Initialize on the LJ 5550, the sequence is:

- Power on the printer while holding the big oval button.

- When all 3 LEDS light, release the oval button.

- Press and release the "back" button.  This is the one with the curved arrow (if you follow the arrow, it goes to the right, then curves up and back 180 degrees so that it points back to the left.)

- "Initialize Disk" or something like that should appear on the control panel display.

- Then press and release the OK button.

I work for HP.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.