Laserjet 5, Windows XP problem (208 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mark Wittenberg
Message 1 of 4 (208 Views)

Laserjet 5, Windows XP problem

I have just installed a LaserJet 5 on a new Windows XP Home PC (SP2) using the default Windows XP drivers as installed when the printer was detected. Whenever I print from XP, regardless of the application, I am getting garbled print. Examples are characters not the right size, font or character, and graphics looking as if they have been smudged.

I have downloaded drivers from the HP site, but same results.

Printing from a DOS prompt (ie. copy test.txt lpt1) gives perfect results, so I am assuming some sort of XP driver compatability issue. The same printer worked perfectly before on a Win 98 PC.

Find attatched a scan of the Windows XP Printer Test page as printed on the LaserJet 5

Any help would be grateful received
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
BR709037
Message 2 of 4 (208 Views)

Re: Laserjet 5, Windows XP problem

Mark

Open the Printers & Faxes Folder, select File->Server Properties, select the Drivers tab and Remove any instance of an LJ5 delated driver. Now try reinstalling again.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
BR709037
Message 3 of 4 (208 Views)

If you still have a problem, try a different driver, XP comes with the following drivers available:

HP LaserJet 5 (Microsoft Windows XP)
HP LaserJet 5 (HP)
HP LaserJet 5/5M PostScript

They're not all next to each other in the list
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
stef_10
Message 4 of 4 (208 Views)

try using the driver for HP III - it is 300 dpi, but will work for the testing purposes.

if all is ok with the HP III driver, try some 600 dpi driver - let's say HP 4 - either the MS driver or the HP.
If none of this works, try changing your BIOS setting for the port - put it SPP and try again.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation