Re: Laserjet 4240n Additional port information required (165 Views)
Visitor
James1142013
Message 1 of 5 (242 Views)

Laserjet 4240n Additional port information required

I am trying to install and share a Laserjet 4240n on a Windows Server 2008 R2. I have installed a dozen other printers on this server. When I try to install this printer I get the attached error message. I can ping the ip address, I can open the web interface of the printer. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (212 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4240n Additional port information required

The print server cannot communicate with the printer as it is currently configured.  Because of this the print server does not know how it is supposed to configure the port to allow all the traffic through.  There may be a temporary problem with the printer or your network services that is blocking the communication.  A simple reboot of the printer may resolve it and get it properly registered on the network.  If not then a Cold Reset would be the next step followed up by another reconfiguration of the printer. 

You should be able to work around this by picking a Hewlett Packard Jet Direct port as your port type from the drop down list on your first screenshot.  You will also want to make sure you are searching for the printer port by IP Address instead of the hostname or DNS value that may be assigned to it.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Visitor
James1142013
Message 3 of 5 (206 Views)

Thanks John. I forgot to mention that this 4240n is currently installed/shared on a Windows Server 2003 box and working fine through XP computers and an SAP queue. Is there some difference on 2008 R2?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 5 (180 Views)

Not that I am aware of.  Normally a printer can be installed or hosted on multiple print servers at the same time.  We generally stay away from that though as each time you install the printer on a server directly that server will create its own print queue.  Allowing everyone to create thier own queues becomes a maintenance issue so we only install the printers on one main printserver at a time.  From there other users and servers can install the print queue from the print server via the Microsoft Add a Printer website.

Do you have other printers that are setup to be shared across both print servers too?  If you do and they are working then that would suggest an issue with the 4240n as opposed to the print server.  You might want to uninstall if on the 2003 server and migrate it to the new print server only for troubleshooting purposes.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Visitor
James1142013
Message 5 of 5 (165 Views)

John- I used the HP JetDirect port and it worked. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation