Laserjet 4100 on Windows7 through USB Port - Installation (1479 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Shaun Mills
Message 1 of 2 (1,479 Views)

Laserjet 4100 on Windows7 through USB Port - Installation

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand 4100 and am trying to install it through the USB port, with a parallel to USB cable, on the Windows 7 OS.

When plugged in through the USB port I see "Device Driver Software was not Successfully Installed"

I have tried to manually install the printer, but this does not print anything. However when I look at the list of available Ports for the printer it only allows me to select either the LPT ports or the COM ports, not my USB ports.

Is it possible that I may just have to get rid of this printer and purchase a more recent one?

Thank you in advance
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 2 (1,479 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4100 on Windows7 through USB Port - Installation

When you attach the usb to parallel cable you should see a message that new hardware has been found. That device may not be supported by windows 7. The drivers for the usb to parallel adapter have to load before the printer port becomes available. Other method if you have a network or internet router would be to purchase a EIO jetdirect card for the printer and connect it to your network. Cards you can use are 600N, 610N and 620N. They are cheap on ebay and make life easier.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.